Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have problem with Californians moving into your area?
YES 22 25.29%
NO 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 AM

473 posts, read 714,866 times

Advertisements

this sounds like mainers complaining about people from massachussetts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
i can honestly say i have never met some one from california that was considering moving to maine! :O
actually- i dont think i have ever even seen or heard of anyone from california visiting maine!
Two of my good friends are counselors at Camp CheWonkee in Maine every summer. They absolutely love going over there and have tried to talk me into moving numerous times. Only thing... I'd be one of those annoying ex californians that ******* and complains about the weather all the time

Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 AM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
..........them stinky, hairy pit, Birkenstock wearing Bettys form P.B.
are AWESOME ! Man how I miss that smell.......not.

WTF being racist, sexist. homophobic isn't enough ?

We don't care for dem der Californians.

God forbid if you're a rich Mexican with implants with
a ripped surfer dude as your boy toy.

Yeah... I don't get the relevance of this either just felt like saying it.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM

473 posts, read 714,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Two of my good friends are counselors at Camp CheWonkee in Maine every summer. They absolutely love going over there and have tried to talk me into moving numerous times. Only thing... I'd be one of those annoying ex californians that ******* and complains about the weather all the time
you wouldnt stand out for bitchin about the weather here- you'd fit right in!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM

127 posts, read 476,277 times
This poll could just as easily been titled "Do you have a problem with FLORIDIANS moving into your area?".

Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmors View Post
This poll could just as easily been titled "Do you have a problem with FLORIDIANS moving into your area?".
Where do most of Florida's transplants come from? I always had it in my mind that it'd be New Yorkers. Just curious.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
There's been much discussion in the past few days about the California transplants here in Nashville. There was an article in the Sunday paper that showed people fleeing Memphis were the greatest numbers and people from California came in a close second. Many of our Californians have come for specific reasons such as the relocation of the North American headquarters for Nissan and many have come to continue pursuing creative pursuits. Many have come to raise their children in an area that embraces values. Sheryl Crowe moved here for both reasons, to write, record and raise her child. That story is repeated many times over with entertainers who just want to get out of the L.A. area and find their soul and sense of place again. It often gets lost in the hub bub of So. Cal.

No one can really blame any of them for coming for whatever reason they choose. I have run across very few who have tried to change "us." There are exceptions, but as a general rule, I welcome them. They are people just like us and have a right to better lives.

Some need a little bit of tranquilizing and convincing that leaning a little bit to the right will serve them well, but all in all, my experiences have been good ones with our new residents.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 PM

127 posts, read 476,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Where do most of Florida's transplants come from? I always had it in my mind that it'd be New Yorkers. Just curious.
They are originally from many places up north, retired to Florida, but didn't find Florida to their liking due to the heat, humidity and hurricanes. They are fleeing Florida in droves and settling in the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. Unfortunately, the developers are only too happy to accommodate these "Half Backs" with gated communities and the other amenities they were accustomed to in Florida. The gated communities and ridge top developments are not only ruining the environment, but they are driving up property values to the point that the locals can not afford to purchase property or keep property that has been in their family for generations. Also, I can't count the number of times I have heard "when we were in Florida we did it this way". Around here they are referred to as Floridiots.

Last edited by fmors; 01-06-2009 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
For those who think it is horrible that too many Californians or other __________ (insert state here) moved into your area, stop and think how it would affect your town if they all suddenly moved out!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
I used to live in Grand Junction, Colorado, and saw the impact of Californians moving to the area. I rented, and so I was not affected by home prices, but the average cost of a home in the 4 years I lived there rose $100,000. And it was worse in the mountains. Now, you barely can find a place to rent because a lot of younger natives starting out cannot afford a home, so they have to rent.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Californians, as people, themselves. Some of my best friends are natives of California, but its just the overall impact that a large amount of wealthier people can cause to an area that makes it hard to bare sometimes. It just so happens that they are from California. I agree, some try to bring their old lifestyle and expect the towns to change to their liking. But it seems most are actually just looking for a simpler life with less crime and crowds. And to them, almost anywhere is more affordable than California.

What seems to be happening is people are no longer satisfied with just vacationing in the mountains or the national parks. They want to have it year-round. I know a lot of people who would come to Colorado on a trip, and right away fall in love with the scenery. Next thing you know, they're moving their life to Colorado so they can enjoy it all the time. This is happening to a lot of great, beautiful places like Jackson, WY, Bozeman, MT, Missoula, MT, Coeur d'Alene, ID, and even Santa Fe, NM just to name a few.
Since you weren't a homeowner, you weren't really affected by "them". Grand Jct. only grew by about 30,000 people in ten years (1997-2007), so I don't think the problem is as dire as you say.

Grand Junction, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Why shouldn't people move to someplace they like if they want? I just don't get that the vast majority of us are supposed to live in some rat hole, and only vacation where it's nice, while a select few "get" to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Their misconception of what something costs and the ability to have money to pay for it. Yes it does drive up housing costs. And that drags everything else up. The second reason is they are wanting to bring their ideas and troubles with them!!!!! JUST what they were wanting to leave!!!They don't realize/care about the local wages or how government works. They over time get the local rules and regulations changed or misguided to their wants.
Now I would really like to see some examples of that! I remember reading an article once that said that like newcomers everywhere, they like to get involved in civic events and people get angry at them for wanting to be on the school board, the town council, etc>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.