Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times

Advertisements

Alaska has always been a place to go for those who are looking for that chance. A lot of the jobs there pay extremely well and a low-skill job on the Northern Slope can pay as much as a lot of white-collar jobs in the lower 48. Also, jobs elsewhere in the state, such as in fishing or forestry, pay really well. Not to mention that Alaska residents don't pay state income tax, but rather get a stipend to live there. It doesn't have the best climate, but it's definitely a place you can go, put in a few years, and get ahead.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 15,352 times
If you just want to do something different... and money doesn't matter, just the experience, you may want to look into an Intentional Community. They are all over the US and have varying mission statements. If you just want a job and want to meet great people and are into organic gardening, green living and a strong sense of community it can be a new start. I attended the fire academy while I lived and worked at one. I loved it though decided it wasnt for me long term. But I would have never known that for sure had I not experienced it. I miss many, many aspects of the community I lived in and definitely the people. And since the military does not seem like it is you, maybe something like this may be?

Old 01-08-2009, 12:08 PM

81 posts, read 230,604 times
I hate to say it but since you have no car and no savings you're only real option is the Military.
It's really not that bad.
Just pick a job that doesn't involve getting shot at.

It's a guaranteed roof over your head and 3 meals a day plus some money. And in a few years they will give you a whole pile of cash to reenlist.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
well yes... i mean any job is a job..i'll do.. you know..lol.. im just really desperate to get out of cali... and i just left Pittsburgh,pa... or actually i was in Latrobe,pa.. but i left some really good friends i made in a month being there i left them behind ... i feel terrible about just leaving and i have nothing here in california.. It's just a dead end here.. it just doesn't help because i have no money at all to my name... That's why im writing that thread in Desperation... im fricken Desperate but im trying to somehow have a good attitude about it.....

I mean honestly i wish i could just ask some one to put me up for a while.. just so maybe then i find promise and actually a promising future somewhere else.....

Unfortunately... that's probably never gonna happen.... i mean who's gonna trust someone they don't even know.... i mean i wish i had a chance just to move to move somewhere else again... it's a long shot though...

I'll have to find a way for some one to earn my trust somehow....if that's even realistic..... lol..

thanks for the advice though... STL Cards blues 1989
Why did you leave Pittsburgh after being there only a month? It seems like you didn't give things enough time there. I'm sure you could find something in CA. The economy is bad all over out there. You need to be tenacious and not give up on things so easily. Attitude can have a great deal to do with your success.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
I'm going to suggest somewhere with jobs and a low-cost of living. Texas, Oklahoma, Neb, NorthDakota, etc.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 PM

40 posts, read 55,807 times
Apparently nobody is reading his post before they answer. You have NO CAR and NO MONEY therefore you cannot move anywhere right now!!! Sorry, but it's true!!! I'm not trying to offend you but I think you should grow up a little, and find a job in CA FOR NOW so that you can save some money to move away. You hate it so much there, why did you go back? Desperate times lead to desperate measures!!! Suck it up and be responsible about it instead of trying to freeload off of someone else! If not, the military is your only option! You made your bed...

Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
It's really scary but it seems he wants a total stranger on this board to take him in and take care of him. He must have a death wish if he would go move in with a total stranger from the internet.

OP, there's no freebies in life and you are going to have to find a job in CA for awhile to get some cash if you wish to go elsewhere. I would advise against moving in with a random stranger if you find one kind enough. You never know who has what intentions.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
Apparently nobody is reading his post before they answer. You have NO CAR and NO MONEY therefore you cannot move anywhere right now!!! Sorry, but it's true!!! I'm not trying to offend you but I think you should grow up a little, and find a job in CA FOR NOW so that you can save some money to move away. You hate it so much there, why did you go back? Desperate times lead to desperate measures!!! Suck it up and be responsible about it instead of trying to freeload off of someone else! If not, the military is your only option! You made your bed...

Well, your post was harsh, but true.

My advice to the OP is to stay put in the "friends" house as long as they let you.

If they are in urban CA there are fast food places. GET TWO JOBS or take two shifts at one place. It is doable. (I had 3 crappy jobs one summer!) At $9 per hour you can pay your host (bet that would be a surprise to them) $200 a month and pocket a thousand a month EASY.

Work and lead a monks life for 5 months. You will have $5,000.

On your time off, research towns to live in.

If you go to, say...Portland and live downtown in a cheap shared rental....you won't need a car. If you have to, get 2 more crappy jobs and save some more money to put yourself through a schooling/job program.

I doubt any of this sounds like a plan to you. Job Corps didn't work. That is pretty easy to do. Why didn't you follow through?

My friend....nobody is going to take care of you except if you are very pretty. If you are not, re-read this thread.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
It's really scary but it seems he wants a total stranger on this board to take him in and take care of him. He must have a death wish if he would go move in with a total stranger from the internet.

OP, there's no freebies in life and you are going to have to find a job in CA for awhile to get some cash if you wish to go elsewhere. I would advise against moving in with a random stranger if you find one kind enough. You never know who has what intentions.
I heard Jeffy Dahmer was kind to strangers. Until they wanted to leave. I'm serious....to the OP: The people that would take you in are the ones you should be avoiding.

Salvation Army is a great organization. They will help you if things get really bad. Pls don't go to someone you meet on the internet. They want something in return. Always.

Catholic charities are also good.

If things get rough just find a Yellow Pages and look at the first few pages.

You sound young. Can't you call family?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,728 times
Im sorry For Writing this Thread.... I know it kinda Sounds Pathetic in the First Place... i just don't have any Clue as to What i should do... I've Almost Tried Everything Conceivable

Well thanks anyways... friends.. I Appreciate the Input/Opinions You guys....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.