Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times

Advertisements

The answer: Princeton, NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,630 times
Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, American Eagle, etc. are NOT preppy. Preppy is NOT ripped jeans and logo t-shirts.

The preppy style is classic and conservative, if anything. It is far from trendy. Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren are prime examples preppy clothing lines, although Ralph Lauren can be quite fashion-y too.

The preppy cities are definitely in the New England area. Preppy typically equals old money.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 AM

296 posts, read 644,643 times
the whole region of Eastern Ky, Tn, WV, are extremely preppie, especially in the smaller towns and hollers.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:36 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, American Eagle, etc. are NOT preppy. Preppy is NOT ripped jeans and logo t-shirts.

The preppy style is classic and conservative, if anything. It is far from trendy. Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren are prime examples preppy clothing lines, although Ralph Lauren can be quite fashion-y too.

The preppy cities are definitely in the New England area. Preppy typically equals old money.
True. Unlike Yuppies which are part of the "flavor of the month crowd" or into trendy fashions and culture or entertainment, Preppies like tradition and things that are not all that flashy. You won't see very many Humvees in Connecticut.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:50 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
the whole region of Eastern Ky, Tn, WV, are extremely preppie, especially in the smaller towns and hollers.
LOL, really? You just named one the poorest regions in the country... While I do agree that the South has it's fair share of preppies, they're not very widespread, especially in the rural areas.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
True. Unlike Yuppies which are part of the "flavor of the month crowd" or into trendy fashions and culture or entertainment, Preppies like tradition and things that are not all that flashy. You won't see very many Humvees in Connecticut.
Haha I don't think blue bloods and wanna-be tanks mix very well together.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:40 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
New York City has lots of preppies, but they don't define the city any more than any other group does. New York is defined by its diversity. But you will find the look and the attitude alive and well there if you go to the right places.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:11 PM

888 posts, read 886,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Preppy refers to breeding, values, attitude (an air of cool detachment), and style - classic fashion rather than fashion forward. Preppies don't change lifestyle according to fads. They are prim and proper. Think of Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren, I do not like to narrow it down, but khakis, Oxford shirts, ribbon belts and topsiders, and wearing layers is preppy.

Preppies have a lot in common with their "cousins" in other countries. In France, they are called BCBG (bon chic bon genre), which is good taste or style, and atittude, in French.

The preppy look is eternal, fresh and effortless (dressed down doesn't bohemian). You like the status quo - background (as in family being important), old houses, furnitures, clothes, and wines.True preppies are and will always be preppy with their focus on proper decorum. It gives a sense of belonging. There are those who try to adopt the lifestyle - I guess are yuppies.
Wow... these paragraphs made me want to vomit... is that offensive to say it?
A few points, may I?
I have a problem with the word breeding... I come from Sicilian peasant farmers. A nice equivalent to that type of lifestyle in America would be sharecropping, indentured servitude, or other types of feudalism. I never chose that lifestyle - I just happened to be born into it. Something about my Dad giving it to my Mom and then 9 months later, there I was. Luckily we moved to the States for a better life where we could forget about "breeding". But, oh, that's right, we want to cultivate elitist exclusivity here as well. Let me tell you something about breeding - I worked for a number of years in probably the most famous investment bank in the world, and there were plenty of these preppies there. They had to be some of the most unethical dishonest greedy little SOBs I ever had met... so much for breeding.

I also had the fortune of working for several years in France (this century), let me tell you, being BCBG is nothing to brag about, the only people who think that's anything cool are the minority old-fashioned boring bourgeois that nobody ever pays attention to. BCBG may stand for Bon Chic Bon Gens, but in practice people think it's a nightmarish joke.

Finally, I didn't know that "fresh" was the equivalent of old, historical and status quo. And believe me, the look takes a lot of effort - you know it takes effort to keep your gut reactions hid, if you know what I mean. "Old Wines"? So, what is your definition of what is old wine? Huh? C-NdP Vintage??? You should write your own dictionary/guidebook for preppies, they might love you and invite you into their little society.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 AM

99 posts, read 570,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I know the term traditionally applies to towns in the northeast such as Nantucket.

All cities will have different kinds of people. But try to rank the following cities according to their preppyness:

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
San Diego
Denver
Austin
Dallas
Chicago
New York City
Boston

Add other major cities if you like.

Boston is heads & shoulders above the rest - from the suburbs of Dover, Lincoln & Wellesley, to the city areas of Beacon Hill & Back Bay, Boston all the way. The oldest schools & architecture and a very educated population. Not the hippies of San Francisco or the nouveau rich of Southern California. You won't find many kids with new Porsches and boob jobs like you will in Long Island or West LA. Plenty of vacation homes on the Cape and the islands for sailing. ...and, of course, America's first family, the Kennedys (Boston environs).

Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,936 times
Preppies are everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.