Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think what he is trying to say is that most of these people voting would never actually be able to afford to live in these cities. I would ideally love to live in New York City and probably would have voted for it if I was asked but realistically I could not afford to live the same quality of life that I'm able to live in Houston. I pay $1,100 for a 700 sq ft loft in Uptown Houston. What would that get me in Uptown New York City?
There is Uptown Manhattan, but NYC is not just Manhattan. There are 4 other boroughs. That is why people move to these other boroughs because it is cheaper and you will get more than a "closet" for your money. They simply take the subway into Manhattan when they want to.

I was born and in raised in Manhattan when a middle class family could still afford to live there. When my Mom died in 1993, she was paying $450 a month rent. It was a two bedroom apartment; hardly a closet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I'd bet money that the difference in responses is in how the question was phrased. The Harris poll seems like more of a "If you could live in any city in America, which would you choose?" kind of question. The Pew survey seems more grounded in reality.
I agree, the question was just asked differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.