Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 PM

181 posts, read 849,462 times

Advertisements

1. Stockton

2. Memphis

3. Chicago

4. Cleveland

5. Modesto

6. Flint

7. Detroit

8. Buffalo

9. Miami

10. St. Louis

Other rust belt cities didn't fare too well either :-(

Oddly I didn't see a mention of its horrible crime rate (worst for any of the big cities).

Will it ever rebound??? How did a once hailed American city get here, and how can other cities learn from its mistakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:10 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Doesn't look like Chicago is TOPPING that list. Looks like Stockton is topping the miserable cities list from a source that, at best, is questionable when it comes to any of their "Top ______ Cities" lists.

As for "rust belt" cities not fairing too well, it is an even split of Northern and Southern cities so it looks like the problem is all over in pretty equal measure.

You don't hide your dislike for Chicago very well do you?

Old 02-08-2009, 06:49 PM

181 posts, read 849,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Doesn't look like Chicago is TOPPING that list. Looks like Stockton is topping the miserable cities list from a source that, at best, is questionable when it comes to any of their "Top ______ Cities" lists.

As for "rust belt" cities not fairing too well, it is an even split of Northern and Southern cities so it looks like the problem is all over in pretty equal measure.

You don't hide your dislike for Chicago very well do you?
I don't dislike Chicago it's a once great American city like Detroit I hope it rebounds.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Chicago's crime rate is not the worst of the big cities, unless you consider only the top three cities as "big cities".

Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
I don't dislike Chicago it's a once great American city like Detroit I hope it rebounds.
Chicago is still a great city, and to compare it to Detroit is wrong on all levels.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:21 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Chicago is still a great city, and to compare it to Detroit is wrong on all levels.
I agree, even though there are some VERY nice areas in the Detroit metro.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
Am I looking at a different list? I don't see St. Louis on that list???

I wish people would just stop looking at Forbes so these stupid lists would stop.

I've actually seen lists for like the most desireable and least desirable cities to live in, and the list was almost identical. It would say New York City because all of these financial places have shut down or are in turmoil, etc, etc, etc, then the other list would say that it's thriving. Forbes sucks.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Am I looking at a different list? I don't see St. Louis on that list???
Number 10

Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Have you ever been to Chgo.? The economy isn't particularly worse than any other city, the weather has been exactly the same since it was a "hailed American city" and the population isn't declining. If there is a lesson to learn from Chicago, it is that bosses in City Hall get **** done. If it weren't for Daley, that city would look like Cleveland. It obviously doesn't.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Depends on your perspective

The north shore of Chicago is a beautiful place, summer or winter. Beautiful homes and unmatched midwestern ambiance, some of the finest, most good-natured people in the world reside there. Great wealth too. Beautiful lakefront and world-class universities round it out. There is no match.

Why unfairly judge this city by its worst components, ignoring these defining elements? Chicago is unmatched depending on your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.