Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

Perhaps Forbes ought to make a list of the best (or most miserable) Forbes lists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 AM

15 posts, read 15,454 times
Default Forbes and Chicago area

I have noticed too that Forbes always goes against Chicago

Yes- I do live in the Metro area
Yes it does seem to sting a bit when Forbes always lists Chicago at the bottom
of every list

Lets call a spade a spade they really do have a bias agaisnt the Chicago area

Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
This list is a joke and has already been talked about in the Chicago forum... they also mention sports teams as criteria.. Give me a break. There are places in the country with FAR WORSE weather. The weather in Chicago gets more over-hyped than anything. Forbes continues to put out God-awful lists that have no methodological backing. It's trash. I'm also sick of the Detroit hype. Go to some of the Detroit suburbs and you are looking at some of the nicest suburbs in the country. Yes downtown is struggling, but so is downtown Pittsburgh (talk about a city dying after 5pm). You really can't take Forbes seriously if you have half a brain.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Considering the recent 66% income tax increase to go along with out of control spending, that's another reason for calling it "Miserable."

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
I can certainly see Chicago on the list. I personally thing Chicago is overrated. Yes it is beautiful in some on the lakefront areas, but go in to the flat as a pancake suburbs, and it is row after row of cheap looking tract houses. Yes, some suburbs are nice, but overall it is not geographically pretty. Chicago is like NYC's blue collar brother.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I can certainly see Chicago on the list. I personally thing Chicago is overrated. Yes it is beautiful in some on the lakefront areas, but go in to the flat as a pancake suburbs, and it is row after row of cheap looking tract houses. Yes, some suburbs are nice, but overall it is not geographically pretty. Chicago is like NYC's blue collar brother.
Boring and flat suburbs with cheap tract houses like this?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
This list is a joke and has already been talked about in the Chicago forum... they also mention sports teams as criteria.. Give me a break. There are places in the country with FAR WORSE weather. The weather in Chicago gets more over-hyped than anything. Forbes continues to put out God-awful lists that have no methodological backing. It's trash. I'm also sick of the Detroit hype. Go to some of the Detroit suburbs and you are looking at some of the nicest suburbs in the country. Yes downtown is struggling, but so is downtown Pittsburgh (talk about a city dying after 5pm). You really can't take Forbes seriously if you have half a brain.
I think in 2009 one of the reasons it was high up on the list is because it has a high population density, so they said it was too crowded and hence "miserable".

Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think in 2009 one of the reasons it was high up on the list is because it has a high population density, so they said it was too crowded and hence "miserable".
hahahaha... not surprised.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Considering the recent 66% income tax increase to go along with out of control spending, that's another reason for calling it "Miserable."
Even with the increase the income taxes and property taxes in Chicago are pretty damn low -- lower than here anyways.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
What an odd statement. It sounds like you've never seen Chicago suburbs or are comparing them to someplace other than Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.