Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Might have to do with where you grew up. I grew up in TN and moved to Boston for school. TN definitely had some cold winters- as in maybe it got down to the 20's a few weeks out of the year. But in Boston it was COLD! As in it hurt to go outside. The difference was like night and day between TN and there. So yeah- if you're not accustomed to that kind of winter then I can see how one could form such a negative opinion. It obviously bothers a lot of people from there too because I swear like 90% of the people on all of the Southern city data forms are from places like Chicago, NYC, Boston, and so on and one of their primary reasons for moving is because they are escaping the hellish winters.

I personally have no desire to ever live anywhere that gets that cold ever again.
Right...but you proved a point...Boston should be just as considered as a "miserable city" as Chicago for its "horrible weather". Weather cannot be used as a criteria for Chicago being a "miserable city" when there are TONS of other cities with extremely similar weather that didn't make the list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What the heck is "Midwestern Ambiance" ... ?

LOL, Really what is it?????

Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,487 times
It gets dark too early there in winter, but the sun comes up very early...part of being on the Eastern time zone border, but still in central.

Winter just seems never ending there, and it can be cold in summer at night. Sometimes gets into the 40's for lows. Overpriced for the midwest. Most everyone there is from there. Even first/second generation immigrants consider themselves from Illinois.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,928,606 times
Chicago was not "The Most Miserable City" in 2010. Why are people discussing the 2009 list (still)??

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,460 times
This magazine is bunk, it is nothing more than a glorified tabloid.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,288,515 times
I don't like Forbes...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Let me put it this way. Where I grew up winter generally lasted from around November to March. By March it was generally warm and more pleasant. When I lived in MA it snowed right up almost to May and more than once it snowed in June. On top of that- it got HOT as hell too- surprising given how cold it got in Winter.

You all can keep going on and on about what wusses some of us who don't like cold weather are, but you aren't going to hurt my feelings in the least. If cold weather works for some people- fine. Not for me.
If you're using Boston, there's a reason for that. It's called the Atlantic Ocean, which stays colder a bit longer at that latitude and directly influences climate. Inland, winters are also from November to March. April snow is not that common in most places. And sorry, but summers in the North will just never be as consistently unpleasant as in the South. I don't know who you are trying to kid here.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
This magazine is bunk, it is nothing more than a glorified tabloid.
Agreed. It's weekly/daily lists are nuts.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Quote:
I've never actually met any fellow Southerners that I know who eagerly want to move to somewhere like Minnesota. Not saying it doesn't happen, but given the latest census data its clear the Southeast and West are gaining the most people. Of course weather isn't the only reason but I think its a major one. People these days seem more willing to pick up and leave somewhere their family spent generations living. You're no longer tied to certain areas due to business and careers. Thus given the choice I think a lot of people are deciding that they don't have to put up with nasty winters anymore if they don't want to.
I mean, it's not super common, but I'm not lying or anything...see:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...minnesota.html

I know there is a serious bias in this country against cold-weather places, but you'll just have to give us the benefit of the doubt that it's really "not that bad", just like the South is really "not that bad".

Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times
Quote:
If you're using Boston, there's a reason for that. It's called the Atlantic Ocean, which stays colder a bit longer at that latitude and directly influences climate. Inland, winters are also from November to March. April snow is not that common in most places. And sorry, but summers in the North will just never be as consistently unpleasant as in the South. I don't know who you are trying to kid here.
Who am I trying to kid? Summers in the South can have a huge amount of variety depending on where you live. For example if you lived in Asheville, NC, which is sort of up in the mountains you would have cooler summers. If you live way deep down in Florida summers can be hot. If you lived in Kentuckey the summers would vary there as well.

The absolute hottest I have ever been in my life was during a 2 week long period in Boston. I was just flying back from TN where it had been around 80 degrees the day before. I landed in Boston at 9:30PM. The temperature at that time was 97 degrees. It stayed that way for almost 2 weeks. What's more- most people didn't have AC. That was miserable.

Oh- and I have a friend who lives in Chicago. Yep- he too thinks its miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.