Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,506,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Doesn't really matter to me because all of the cities you mentioned have crappy weather. I've never been to Chicago but there are a LOT of people from there living out here in Cali and if they ever talk about their home town they'll first and foremost say that its a fun city quickly followed by how awful the winters are. That's the impression I get from hearing what people say to me about it. Whether I am misinformed or not is another matter, but if the general consensus out there from the street is that Chicago has awful weather then perhaps there's some truth to it.
Whoa, Denver has crappy weather? That is news to me, and well... most informed people. Denver is generally regarded as having some of the best weather amongst bigger cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,883,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Whoa, Denver has crappy weather? That is news to me, and well... most informed people. Denver is generally regarded as having some of the best weather amongst bigger cities.
There's snow in them thar mountains!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 PM

737 posts, read 1,656,354 times
Chicago is a great city! Few cities could even think about matching what it offers.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
There's snow in them thar mountains!
I find it to be really funny how people see snow capped mountains and assume it is cold in Denver, never mind the ~8000 ft. elevation difference.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:18 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,883,117 times
Quote:
I find it to be really funny how people see snow capped mountains and assume it is cold in Denver, never mind the ~8000 ft. elevation difference.
The subconscious (semi-conscious?) mind works too often in really, really, really dumb ways.

But amazingly enough you'll find plenty of C-Ders *admitting* to retarded semi-conscious beliefs about various places (especially in the 'General US' and "City vs. City" sections), as in this fictional example (inspired by all too many eye-roll-inducing C-D posters): "When I think of Denver, I think of snow and cold and people in parkas and ski boots LOL I'm a warm weather dude, couldn't handle it sorry."

Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
The subconscious (semi-conscious?) mind works too often in really, really, really dumb ways.

But amazingly enough you'll find plenty of C-Ders *admitting* to retarded semi-conscious beliefs about various places (especially in the 'General US' and "City vs. City" sections), as in this fictional example (inspired by all too many eye-roll-inducing C-D posters): "When I think of Denver, I think of snow and cold and people in parkas and ski boots LOL I'm a warm weather dude, couldn't handle it sorry."
Ha ha, exactly, and to tie this into the thread topic, I grew up in the Iowa, very similar winters to Chicago. It is funny how much of a deal people make of it, I was fine with it when I was 10, yet these adults whine about how "frigid" it is LOL. People are way over-dramatic sometimes.

That being said I deffinately don't mind the weather now that I live in Denver, it has been up to the 70's the last week.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,208,819 times
I was stuck in denver before new years and it was cold and snowing.
Sooo I don't know what you guys mean by not cold.

It was the same as chicago

Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,229,521 times
Quote:
Ha ha, exactly, and to tie this into the thread topic, I grew up in the Iowa, very similar winters to Chicago. It is funny how much of a deal people make of it, I was fine with it when I was 10, yet these adults whine about how "frigid" it is LOL. People are way over-dramatic sometimes.

That being said I deffinately don't mind the weather now that I live in Denver, it has been up to the 70's the last week.
Typically though the people who tend to complain the loudest and most often about winter are the people who don't have to deal with them. People who live in Florida, Phoenix and Texas seem to bring up hating winter way more than my friends/family/coworkers when we're out and about in January and February in the Midwest.

It's like moving to the mountains and complaining how you can't deal with the altitude. There's nothing you can do about it. It's not some industry or technology you can adjust or advance. If you hate the cold then you shouldn't be in the cold. That's your only solution. I really don't mind it, and in Chicago during winter life goes on just as it does everywhere else up north. Same as in the spring, summer or fall. It's not like people hide out in their homes terrified to leave because of this crazy disaster called "the cold".

Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,791,775 times
Quote:
Typically though the people who tend to complain the loudest and most often about winter are the people who don't have to deal with them. People who live in Florida, Phoenix and Texas seem to bring up hating winter way more than my friends/family/coworkers when we're out and about in January and February in the Midwest.
I wouldn't be one of those people then. I moved from TN to MA for college. It was then I experienced how truly %&!#@$ weather can be. Yes- I'll admit that some people actually enjoy freezing cold weather. I invite them to enjoy as much of it as they want. Personally, to me that weather sucks.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,229,521 times
^ isn't that what I just described though? A lot of the people who hate cold weather the most and bring up that fact are those who aren't living in cold weather places.

Are you in Boston now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.