Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:37 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,510,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Geez...the whole Denver vs. Chicago weather thing is being taken a bit too far. I mentioned other cities as well that you can easily compare Chicago to in terms of weather, like Boston, Minneapolis, New York, Detroit, etc., trying to make the point that "Forbes citing Chicago's horrible weather" as a completely bogus bogus to call it a "Miserable city".
Oh I agree with you on that point, I think it is a stretch to even call Chicago's weather horrible. I like the Midwest, and you can't have seasons without winter, you can't have winter without cold.

I am even considering moving to Chicago from Denver when I finish school, I just think that the dude you are debating with was wrong for calling Denver's weather crappy. I then was forced to go further into detail when another member claimed that Denver and Chicago's weather is the same, and then went further to insinuate that Chicago has better weather.

It is no secret that Chicago doesn't have the best weather, but that does not detract from it being an amazing, world-class city.

I agree with you that the Forbes list is trash, Chicago is a great city, far from miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,534,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Oh I agree with you on that point, I think it is a stretch to even call Chicago's weather horrible. I like the Midwest, and you can't have seasons without winter, you can't have winter without cold.

I am even considering moving to Chicago from Denver when I finish school, I just think that the dude you are debating with was wrong for calling Denver's weather crappy. I then was forced to go further into detail when another member claimed that Denver and Chicago's weather is the same, and then went further to insinuate that Chicago has better weather.

It is no secret that Chicago doesn't have the best weather, but that does not detract from it being an amazing, world-class city.

I agree with you that the Forbes list is trash, Chicago is a great city, far from miserable.
I would agree that Denver's weather is more enjoyable than Chicago's. I've only been to Denver once, but on paper it definitely seem more pleasant in the winter. Plus.. you can put that snow to use if you're a skier or snow boarder

Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I would agree that Denver's weather is more enjoyable than Chicago's. I've only been to Denver once, but on paper it definitely seem more pleasant in the winter. Plus.. you can put that snow to use if you're a skier or snow boarder
Yes, but watch where you have snowball fights, in some suburb of Denver some people were arrested for a snowball fight this winter. lol.

And on the subject of snow, it stays on the ground for very little time in Denver, it melts off extremely quick, it only really hangs around in the mountains.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,587,668 times
What the effing hell? Chicago a "miserable city"? Chicago is a wonderful city!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
What the effing hell? Chicago a "miserable city"? Chicago is a wonderful city!
That is the common reaction to this Forbes list, ha. With good reason too.

Come to think of it, this is the reaction to most Forbes lists, ha.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
First you say that Chicago and Denver's weather is the same, which is laughable enough, but now you are saying that Chicago has better weather?

C'mon man this is common knowledge, there is no debate here, Denver simply has more enjoyable weather. I like Chicago, I really do, but the weather does not compare.

The air in Denver is also drier making it feel cooler here in the summer than Chicago which is in a very humid region. The winter also feels warmer, and it usually is... we had one maybe two cold snaps this year putting us in the negatives, and they were very short.

Ha ha ha, I just looked on the National Weather Service website at the 7 day forecasts for both cities, about the same? You are crazy.

Saturday: Chi: Wintery mix with a high of 34. Den: mostly sunny with a high of 55

Sunday: Chi: Mostly sunny with a high of 32. Den: Mostly cloudy with a high of 51

Monday: Chi: Partly sunny with a high of 37. Den: Slight chance of rain with a high of 40.

Tuesday: Chi: Partly sunny, with a high of 44. Den: A chance of snow with a of 28.

Wednesday: Chi: Showers likely with a high of 48. Den: Mostly sunny with a high of 38.

Thursday: Chi: Partly sunny, with a high of 36. Den: Mostly sunny with a high of 49.

Friday: Chi: Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. Den: Mostly sunny with a high of 56.

Days above 49 degrees: Chi: 0 Den: 4
Days above 39 degrees: Chi: 2 Den: 1

Days below 39 degrees: Chi: 5 Den: 3

Very similar indeed . Denver is consistently warmer except for a 2 day stretch with a snow system, then it goes back to being considerably warmer.

From Wikipedia:

Chicago:

Denver:

Comparing Chicago and Denver's weather is like comparing apples to zebras.

Sat: (Den)49(Chi)35
Sun(Den)50 (Chi)33
Mon(Den)43(Chi)42
Tues(Den)33(Chi)44
Yeah big diff.
Two days

Denver
Average Date of First Snow: October 19th

Chicago
Average Date of first snow: November 16th

And btw Today it was 60 in Chi
While it was 42 in Den

Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,340,427 times
Just my two cents: This comparing Chicago's weather to Denver's is just ridiculous. They're two completely different climates. Sure, Denver gets cold snaps, and sometimes gets snowstorms as early as September, but Denver isn't as consistently cold in winter as Chicago usually is. In Denver, you could have snow and then it's often 70 degrees just two days later.

And who cares if on any one particular winter day Denver is colder than Chicago? It's not statistically significant and proves nothing. The long-term pattern is what's more important, and Denver -- overall -- has milder winters than Chicago. It just does.

But back on topic: If Chicago is "miserable" because of the weather, then most of the United States is equally "miserable".

Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Sat: (Den)49(Chi)35
Sun(Den)50 (Chi)33
Mon(Den)43(Chi)42
Tues(Den)33(Chi)44
Yeah big diff.
Two days

Denver
Average Date of First Snow: October 19th

Chicago
Average Date of first snow: November 16th

And btw Today it was 60 in Chi
While it was 42 in Den
Hmm, only 4 days of data, I thought we were talking about the week. And I used the National Weather Service, you didn't even cite a source for your numbers... yet half of the days you posted Denver is darn near 20 degrees warmer.

Who cares when the first snow is? When it snows in Chicago it doesn't melt for weeks, months even. When it snows in Denver the snow is lucky to last a week, most of it gone the very next day.

Notice how everyone, Everyone who touches this subject agrees that Denver is in a milder climate but you? Again, this is common knowledge.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,906,102 times
I'd argue that 32 degrees is BETTER than 40 degrees from the months of November - February, when people are winter-minded and prefer snow if it's cold.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 PM

694 posts, read 2,654,969 times
Lived in both and and on average Denver has better weather.
It's all in the humidity and sunshine. Denver has less crime, traffic,
better roads and schools too. ...and obviously Colorado does more
with less taxes... why is that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.