Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 AM

5,037 posts, read 4,351,387 times

Advertisements

Which parts of the South have significant populations of Catholics.

The most notable area is probably southern Louisiana. I've heard that Lafayette is 90 percent Catholic, although it wouldn't be surprising if that percentage has declined somewhat since Lafayette is growing and many non-Cajuns are moving in. Central Louisiana has somewhat of a Cajun and Catholic influence but not as strong as South Louisiana. Alexandria (pop. 46,000) has six Catholic churches and two of them are predominately African American. Many of the Catholics in Alexandria are Cajun but there are also many Italians and Belgians. North Louisiana is heavily Southern Baptist although it probably has more Catholics than other parts of the South.

I would assume that most larger Southern cities have signficant Catholic populations and also the Hispanic parts of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 12:08 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
Which parts of the South have significant populations of Catholics.

The most notable area is probably southern Louisiana. I've heard that Lafayette is 90 percent Catholic, although it wouldn't be surprising if that percentage has declined somewhat since Lafayette is growing and many non-Cajuns are moving in. Central Louisiana has somewhat of a Cajun and Catholic influence but not as strong as South Louisiana. Alexandria (pop. 46,000) has six Catholic churches and two of them are predominately African American. Many of the Catholics in Alexandria are Cajun but there are also many Italians and Belgians. North Louisiana is heavily Southern Baptist although it probably has more Catholics than other parts of the South.

I would assume that most larger Southern cities have signficant Catholic populations and also the Hispanic parts of Texas.
You are correct with Texas, RM. While Protestants outnumber Catholics in the state (with Southern Baptist easily being the largest of the former), the Catholic adherents has grown tremendously over the last decade or so with the huge influx of migrants (legal and illegal). Especially in South Texas.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
The Atlanta area has a lot of Catholics. These are the statistics from Fulton County (Atlanta) in 2000. Almost 9% of the population was Catholic. If the trend continued, then Catholics have probably surpassed Southern Baptists.

Charlotte, NC was around 8.5% Catholic in 2000 & Raleigh, NC was around 9.5%. The numbers have undoubtebly grown since then.

Most of the Catholic growth comes from Northern transplants and Hispanic immigrants. But there are some areas of the South with large native-born white Catholic populations, like Louisville KY- 22%, Savannah GA- 9%, Mobile AL- 9%, Southern Mississippi, and Southern Louisiana.

Here in Memphis, most of the Catholics were born and raised here. Catholics form a large part of the old-money families in East Memphis.

Last edited by Smtchll; 02-14-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 02:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Florida, Texas, and Louisiana have the most Catholics in the South.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,694,337 times
I realize Baltimore would RARELY count as the South- but it has a large Catholic influence.
Lousiana is definitely very Catholic. Also to a degree- Atlanta, GA.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,254 times
I did not meet too many Catholics when I lived in the Atlanta area, mostly Southern Baptists. I have actually met more in Augusta GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.