Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 302 57.09%
Florida 227 42.91%
Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Being a great place to retire doesn't mean FL is mostly older residents...and your reference to old people as a "burden to our system" is just highly offensive.

I have never heard anything about FL having shortages of doctors, architects, or any of the other professionals you listed. Do you have a source for that information is it just coming out of your butt?
Dude where have you been all these years? This is one of the main liberal PR moves of getting support for immigrants!!

It comes straight from the horse's mouth . And they do have valid point, in the past first world countries had lots of kids NOT ANY more !! The old people are coming up for retirement and there is less young people to take on those jobs.

Please spend some time with politics and less time reading about cities.This is one of the main reason fueling immigrants into first world countries .

Read those threads on debates on immigrants. Like some say if you don't want all these immigrants than start having lots of kids like you did in past .The bottom line is first world countries don't have large families any more and many older people have retired and more will come up for retirement .The burden to our system will be there will be shortage of people in work force .

Unless you want all those older people to work to they die but that will not be good for them and will only be temporary relief.

Also note I never said FL is mostly older residents ( there are many young people there) but there is higher number older people in FL and like many other first world countries are not having large families like before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
The only thing that Texas beats Florida is on jobs (Oh and a larger Asian population). Those who don't need to worry about that prefer Florida. Most of Texas's population growth is due to its high birthrate.....while most of Florida's growth is actually people from rest of the country moving to Florida even with its economic challenges.
What? Texas has been growing the same way mostly from people moving there from other parts of the nation and world. Don't forget more Hispanics btw. Oh and equal number of Blacks.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
The only thing that Texas beats Florida is on jobs (Oh and a larger Asian population). Those who don't need to worry about that prefer Florida. Most of Texas's population growth is due to its high birthrate.....while most of Florida's growth is actually people from rest of the country moving to Florida even with its economic challenges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I just can't over the litter, graffiti, air pollution, traffic, gangs, potholes, cracked road surfaces, water shortages, vast array of severe weather events, fracking-induced earthquakes, et al.

IMO, Texas truly is a nightmare.
Are you saying this by experience it by paper like you stated in the Dallas forum. Just wondering.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
I just can't over the litter, graffiti, air pollution, traffic, gangs, potholes, cracked road surfaces, water shortages, vast array of severe weather events, fracking-induced earthquakes, et al.

Your opinion isn't worth that much, considering the fact that you've never even been here. It was just recently that you were starting numerous threads in the Texas forum, inquiring about living in the state, but after worrying about things that no normal individual even thinks about until it happens (like tornadoes), you've decided that Texas is a "nightmare". Please.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:

Making more comments on things you have no clue about, huh? Slow day in Boca?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Are you for real? I realize its easy to make stuff up and hope somebody believes its fact, but you should really look stuff up before posting.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Your opinion isn't worth that much, considering the fact that you've never even been here. It was just recently that you were starting numerous threads in the Texas forum, inquiring about living in the state, but after worrying about things that no normal individual even thinks about until it happens (like tornadoes), you've decided that Texas is a "nightmare". Please.
No, here's what I don't like about TX: many of the drawbacks to the largest metropolitan areas are completely out of your control, much like in CA. The majority of problems plaguing TX and CA are macroscopic in nature whereas many of FL's issues are microscopic in nature.

You can avoid the alligators, con artists, deadbeats, drug addicts, strictly Spanish-speakers, and most aggressive drivers. Some of these groups can be avoid by employing common sense while others can be avoided by selecting the appropriate community, one that's relatively far removed from most of these issues such as mine.

Unfortunately, lots of the issues affecting the major metropolitan areas of California and Texas are macroscopic and unavoidable because, after all, you can't really avoid earthquakes, smog, ice storms, hail storms, shifting home foundations, and water shortages. Those issues are inherent.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
No, here's what I don't like about TX: many of the drawbacks to the largest metropolitan areas are completely out of your control, much like in CA. The majority of problems plaguing TX and CA are macroscopic in nature whereas many of FL's issues are microscopic in nature.

You can avoid the alligators, con artists, deadbeats, drug addicts, strictly Spanish-speakers, and most aggressive drivers. Some of these groups can be avoid by employing common sense while others can be avoided by selecting the appropriate community, one that's relatively far removed from most of these issues such as mine.

Unfortunately, lots of the issues affecting the major metropolitan areas of California and Texas are macroscopic and unavoidable because, after all, you can't really avoid earthquakes, smog, ice storms, hail storms, shifting home foundations, and water shortages. Those issues are inherent.
Hardly. These are things that the average Texan has little to no experience with or barely suffers from, yet you seem to think we're out here miserable. You have absolutely no clue. What's funny is that you say all of this as if things like hurricanes, flooding, mold, etc. aren't an issue in Florida.

You don't have to want to live in Texas. We have enough folks coming here already. I just want you to realize that you have no idea what you're talking about. You sound incredibly sheltered.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Thats the most BS argument Ive ever heard. Half of the stuff you list are natural disasters which Florida is certainly not immune to. Need I remind you that Andrew turned Miami into a pile of lumber in 6 short hours. Florida has had many more hurricanes cause much more damage than all the tornadoes, ice storms, and earthquakes in California and Texas combined in recent memory. Dont forget the flooding which happens in Florida much more frequently as well. And you want to call that micro????

As for shifting home foundations, that happens everywhere including Florida.

Whats your deal man? You are really reaching to make arguments that (with a minute of thought) no one could possibly buy. Is this all to make a statement and hope someone believes it? Did someone from Texas run over your dog or something?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Only one data point here, but I found my ability to work in a technically competitive and above median wage job much higher in Texas than Florida. My peers who went back home to Florida (Orlando) to be exact, have found that competitive jobs are few and far between. Many are freelancers and hand to mouth, and have shifted their priorities to either not having families or accepting outright meager compensation for the opportunity cost of having the touristy conveniences of living in Central FL. That works for them and my construct works for mine.

For those who want to have an olive garden job and live in mickey mouse heaven, Florida is a great choice. It is no doubt very appealing to frolic and socialize among a sea of so many young people. It makes you feel like you don't have to age. But we can't all be making cabana girl money, there's a Country to move forward. Those who want to competitively raise their families and have gainful employment one can capitalize on while retaining affordable housing choices would be wise to choose any of the I-35 corridor metropolitan areas. For me Florida is nice to visit, but working and prospering there would be self-defeating of an effort in aggregate. The demographics of both states support my view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.