Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 AM

207 posts, read 324,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the trouble with that is that Blacks haven't been considered Americans and are probably the most American of groups considering the majority have had descendants here for a very long time, considering that the slave trade ended pretty much in the beginning of the 19th century and that 70% or so of Whites in the US descend from people that came after the Civil War.

Then, you have the fact that even those that label themselves as American can trace thier ancestry, if they really want to.
Most of the whites in the South have been here as long as the blacks. And I have no problem with blacks refering to themselves as "American". It is actually they themselves who want to be separately known as "African American". Why don't we all just call ourselves "American" and end the divisiveness?

The only reason I wrote the other post was because I didn't like seeing all the other people refering to Southerners as "ignorant" for refering to themselves as "American". If you are an Italian American in NYC and your ancestors came here in 1900 I think it is a little easier for you to know where you came from.

And actually, the Southern whites on the map are being the least divisive of anybody. Most Southern whites I have talked to could care less about where they came from because they think we should all just consider ourselves American. I respect them for that. I myself am a Southerner as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:28 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
70% or so of Whites in the US descend from people that came after the Civil War..
Do WHAT?? My city was founded wayyyy before the civil war. My family, and most Kentuckians ancestors, have been here since the 1700s. Where did you get that from?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
I'm a product of that little dark green blotch on the west side of Michigan. As our little saying goes, if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
Most of the whites in the South have been here as long as the blacks. And I have no problem with blacks refering to themselves as "American". It is actually they themselves who want to be separately known as "African American". Why don't we all just call ourselves "American" and end the divisiveness?

The only reason I wrote the other post was because I didn't like seeing all the other people refering to Southerners as "ignorant" for refering to themselves as "American". If you are an Italian American in NYC and your ancestors came here in 1900 I think it is a little easier for you to know where you came from.

And actually, the Southern whites on the map are being the least divisive of anybody. Most Southern whites I have talked to could care less about where they came from because they think we should all just consider ourselves American. I respect them for that. I myself am a Southerner as well.
I think the first part is due to the reality of a pluralistic society that we live in, most than anything.

I think as for tracing ancestors, really you can just look at a surname and find the origins of that to find at least a good part of one's ancestry.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Do WHAT?? My city was founded wayyyy before the civil war. My family, and most Kentuckians ancestors, have been here since the 1700s. Where did you get that from?
That doesn't mean that all came after the Civil War. Considering the constant waves of immigration after the Civil War and where most of the people came from, that is not surprising.

I will have to find out where i heard that from though.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Here's an interesting article about the history of immigration to the US: History of immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and more info.: Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 PM

15 posts, read 25,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
still not that very surprised to see that German is still the most widely reported ancestry
Strange that we would try to obliterate Germany, twice. In fact, the English are really just slightly declined Germans. Just ask the Welsh.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumerang View Post
Strange that we would try to obliterate Germany, twice. In fact, the English are really just slightly declined Germans. Just ask the Welsh.
We didn't try to obliterate Germany, we tried to obliterate German governments. Did a good job of it, too :-)

But I agree with your second statement. From an outsiders perspective, England and its derivations (U.S., Australia, NZ etc.) appear Germanic as opposed to, say Mediterranean. Mexicans are asking me about that all the time especially in the context of language.

Also, having recently spent time in Ohio and Minnesota, I have no trouble believing in the predominance of German-Americans in those areas. There is a distinct cultural overlay in the same sense that you get with Italians in the Northeast or Mexican/Spanish in the Southwest.

ABQConvict

Old 08-06-2009, 03:00 PM

57 posts, read 199,000 times
The map incorrectly has Monroe County as a majority German, when Italian is actually the most common ancestry.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,785,686 times
Yay, we're Italian in Jersey!!!! C'e la luna....

YouTube - Patrizio Buanne luna mezzo mare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.