Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Yes, Im saying that Virginia being at its geographical location, can be lumped into the Mid-Atlantic region. However, culturally and everything else, it is a Southern state.
Are you saying Virginia as a whole - 100% of it's 7 odd million people? Or most of its land area is culturally southern?

If it's by pop, most Virginians live in the north and are no longer southern. If by area, I think less than half of Virginia is southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are you saying Virginia as a whole - 100% of it's 7 odd million people? Or most of its land area is culturally southern?

If it's by pop, most Virginians live in the north and are no longer southern. If by area, I think less than half of Virginia is southern.

Im talking about Virginia's whole cultural history, economy, etc. I realize that Northern Virginia is not the South anymore.

But most of Virginia is Southern, anything south of Fredericksburg Virginia is Southern. Northern Virginia is just a tiny part of Virginia.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 PM

I guess Virginia is actually quite a rural city over much of its area, with only a few large cities like Arlington, Fredericksburg, Richmond and Roanoake. So maybe county by county it is more southern. Virginia is just a very American place to me regardless if it's southern and northern. I think it should be Mid-Atlantic rather than southern, it's history is important to not only south but north and the nation as a whole.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I guess Virginia is actually quite a rural city over much of its area, with only a few large cities like Arlington, Fredericksburg, Richmond and Roanoake. So maybe county by county it is more southern. Virginia is just a very American place to me regardless if it's southern and northern. I think it should be Mid-Atlantic rather than southern, it's history is important to not only south but north and the nation as a whole.
But its not Mid-Atlantic culturally, only geographically. And even that is the VERY SOUTHERN end of the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
But its not Mid-Atlantic culturally, only geographically. And even that is the VERY SOUTHERN end of the Mid-Atlantic.
The Virginian, southern type of accent shares as much with New England type colonialism in architecture, accent, lifestyle as it does with Miss or Tennessee or the rest of the south.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
The Virginian, southern type of accent shares as much with New England type colonialism in architecture, accent, lifestyle as it does with Miss or Tennessee or the rest of the south.
Sorry. I have heard New Englanders talk. They dont sound at all like Virginians.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry. I have heard New Englanders talk. They dont sound at all like Virginians.
The way you sound 'tomato' reminds me of the Boston accent! Could've come straight from the lips of JFK himself...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
The way you sound 'tomato' reminds me of the Boston accent! Could've come straight from the lips of JFK himself...
Yankees say To-MAY-TOE and ANT (Aunt)

Southerners say to-maw-duh and "awnt" (Aunt)

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Yankees say To-MAY-TOE and ANT (Aunt)

Southerners say to-maw-duh and "awnt" (Aunt)
I saw a documentary on the Civil War, one of the people they interviewed was the writer Shelby Foote - he had an old style Mississippi accent which sounded more towards the New Orleans drawl. Older Southerners in some areas, like VA, NC and even SC might have said it, but today's southern is more 'hick' and they would say 'to-may-to'. But yes, a bit of a moot point, different types of southern, but I'm saying old southern is a bit more English like the East coast/colony states as a whole than modern southern.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM

19 posts, read 57,383 times
Default To Richmonder27

Okay, okay. Enough teasing you Richmonder. I will admit I created this thread just to poke fun at your OBSESSION with Richmond being Southern... and the baiting work, so much so that you were amazingly oblivious to the completely sarcastic/joking/ridiculousness of this thread.

Listen man, in all reality, Richmond is a very Southern place. Maybe not all of Virginia is, but Richmond definitely feels like the Old South. You obviously like living in Richmond (and the South), so WHY do you care what random people on an internet chat board think about the Southern status of Richmond???? More specifically, how can you be oblivious to how random/trivial/pointless your concerns over Richmond's status are? It just floods this otherwise useful message board with really annoying threads that will make people go out of their way to contradict and tease you.

I will say it one more time, for the record, and then will you PLEASE just be happy with where you live and the location of the South and stop using this board for that purpose?

Richmond is, has been, and always will be a very Southern city with all the qualities that make the South so nice. People from Richmond can very easily and comfortably call themselves Southern. Anyone that says otherwise (1) has never been to Richmond or (2) is teasing you because you are so ridiculous in your obsession.

PLEASE let this be the end of the story. Are we agreed pal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.