Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 06:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Some interesting websites that document historic structures and preservation in Atlanta...

A good site for viewing "then and now" photos of Downtown and Midtown Atlanta. You will notice that most of the buildings are still in place: ATLANTA TIME MACHINE
Aside from some of the taller structures, it's very hard to make a comparison between the two. But I have been to that website before; it has some valuable information on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 06:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Time to ban any thread pertaining to cities being southern.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not taking offense to your statements...but it is a common misconception that Atlanta, like Charlotte and some other cities, didn't preserve its historic buildings. I've heard it said often, but it just isn't true at all - there are turn of the century buildings galore in Midtown and Downtown Atlanta. Like I said before, there have been some very noteable buildings lost to demolition, but only a handful...and only a fraction of the noteable historic structures that have been preserved.
Nobody is saying that Atlanta demolished all of its historic building. That would be silly. However, it's true that urban renewal in particular resulted in significant losses--more than a handful. I guess we disagree on exactly how much was lost. Everything I've read about the history of preservation in Atlanta, which come from reputable sources, tells me that it was more than just a few buildings that were lost.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Time to ban any thread pertaining to cities being southern.
Or make a forum to poll weather cities are southern.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Ok I am all about the South and even I am sick to death of all this. Vasionger honey can't you come up with something else to talk about?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But it's closer to DC than to any major city in NC. DC influences Richmond more than any city in NC.
Ha ha ! It absolutely does not. We rarely if ever think about DC. Look at the gap between Richmond and DC.

Our economy is not based on DC. Nova, yes. not us.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
You are so obsessed with "Southern" threads.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Ha ha ! It absolutely does not. We rarely if ever think about DC. Look at the gap between Richmond and DC.
So you mean to tell me that Richmond is more closely connected to Charlotte, Greensboro, or Raleigh than DC? Please. That gap between DC and Richmond is nothing. As a matter of fact, while driving back home to Charlotte from DC after inauguration week last month, I was actually surprised at how quickly I arrived in Richmond.

Quote:
No one ever said that. However, DC is the closest big city to Richmond, so it's where Richmonders will naturally go for big-city shopping, dining, sports, etc.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06
But it's closer to DC than to any major city in NC. DC influences Richmond more than any city in NC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post

The Washington Redskins (NFL) has a big Virginia following . However IMO, Richmond doesn't really identify with D.C. or the North Carolina cities/Hampton Roads. It has its own (albeit small) sphere of influence. But true, D.C. and Richmond are practically down the street from each other.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So you mean to tell me that Richmond is more closely connected to Charlotte, Greensboro, or Raleigh than DC? Please. That gap between DC and Richmond is nothing. As a matter of fact, while driving back home to Charlotte from DC after inauguration week last month, I was actually surprised at how quickly I arrived in Richmond.

No one ever said that. However, DC is the closest big city to Richmond, so it's where Richmonders will naturally go for big-city shopping, dining, sports, etc.
Actually, most Richmonders I know go over to Norfolk. Thats the closest big city.

By the gap between Richmond and DC- I simply mean there is really nothing between Richmond and DC. They are not culturally linked at all.

But thats besides the point. We are 75 mi from the NC line. At least 90 miles to the DC area.

We are closely linked culturally with Eastern NC. Dosent matter if theres not a major city in Eastern NC. Richmond and its residents have been from NC for many years.

Also, whos to say DC is really a Northern city? To me its the Gateway to the South ,while Richmond is the first real Southern city. So DC to me is just a Mid-Atlantic city that poses no threat to Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.