Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,698,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Found out that some Virginians were migrating into Eastern NC in the early 1700's. See figure 3 in the link: North Carolina History So maybe that's the cultural link you're talking about? Idk.

Anyways, not all of Richmond's residents are from NC, as that's a pretty generic statement to say.
Well yes thats part of it. I never said all of Richmond's people were NC transplants, I just said we have quite a few
You know the three R's..... lol

Anyways, what I read about history was that Tidewater Virginia stretched in to what is now NC- because that part of NC was once part of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,743,243 times
Ditto, the original Virginia colony extended south to about 34 degrees latitude.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
Georgia is less deep south than AL, MS and LA.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
Richmonder, PLEASE STOP! I do NOT want to see you get banned again (Vasinger ringing a bell to fellow old-timers?) because I feel as if you DO have some great content to offer to our forum in moderate dosages. However, if you continue to post a new thread about the South every two hours, you're inevitably going to be banned again for "trolling." I was kind of hoping my "Richmond vs. Scranton" poll on the City vs. City forum would have been the best medicine to tucker you out (hence why I posted it in the first place to bait you into it), yet like the Energizer bunny you just keep going and going! The Omaha chest-thumping stopped successfully with my infamous "Omaha vs. Scranton" poll thread, but you, my friend, are incapable of being stonewalled (No, not Stonewall Jackson!) LOL!

Please, stop, for your own sake. I HATE seeing people getting banned as I came pretty close myself and dreaded that feeling.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,743,243 times
I admit some of its entertaining, but it gets old. Matter of fact I think at least one of those threads got deleted already.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
I admit some of its entertaining, but it gets old. Matter of fact I think at least one of those threads got deleted already.
It doesn't really "annoy" me all that much as I find the North vs. South debates to be interesting, but if Richmonder keeps this sort of behavior up indefinitely he WILL be banned eventually. You can't have 100 posts about the same subject with only slight variations.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,031,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Georgia is less deep south than AL, MS and LA.
How so?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:01 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,404,511 times
Holy crap. Just barely in the South? Are you not aware that you yourself are in the South, Richmonder? There is the Upper South (VA, WV, KY, NC, TN, AR), and then there is the Deep South (LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL), and then the Western South (Oklahoma and Texas). Georgia and South Carolina are the Deep South in every sense of the word...how you would say SC is not the South is beyond me, especially since it was the first to secede from the Union.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,885,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Ironically, more people at my church have talked about going to Charlotte and Raleigh, than to DC. Granted Charlotte is a good 3.5 hr drive. But they have more shopping there that appeals to them
More than likely, they're talking about moving to Charlotte or Raleigh. I'm not sure how Charlotte or Raleigh would have more shopping than DC in any sense whatsoever.

Quote:
Do you think Richmond is that boring a city that people have to drive to DC or Norfolk to find something to do? I dont think so.
No, but DC is going to have some things that Richmond doesn't simply due to size. DC will get more concerts, has major league sports, more shopping, etc. I'm not talking about Richmonders having to travel to DC every week for something, but when that "big city itch" hits every once in a while, it's off to DC. I don't know what's so hard to understand about this. You should at least understand this from a major league sports perspective. The DC teams have a very major following in Virginia. You don't think people take trips up I-95 every once in a while to attend a game, especially if it's the playoffs or championship? C'mon now. I know, I know, you'll tell me that you don't follow sports nor do you know anyone who does.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,698,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Holy crap. Just barely in the South? Are you not aware that you yourself are in the South, Richmonder? There is the Upper South (VA, WV, KY, NC, TN, AR), and then there is the Deep South (LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL), and then the Western South (Oklahoma and Texas). Georgia and South Carolina are the Deep South in every sense of the word...how you would say SC is not the South is beyond me, especially since it was the first to secede from the Union.
But these are not my words. I am quoting Back2DC. He said this to me directly. He said that VA is not the South, and NC is just barely the South.

So by his logic, SC and GA are not Deep South. Crazy, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.