Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
STOP!!!!!

Richmond is 7 hours away from NYC. Stop stop stop stop stop.

Like you said, we are talking ABOUT RICHMOND, NOT NYC

Richmond is a very Southern city. And its probably one of the most Southern cities in Virginia. Richmond is much more "Old South" than many cities in the Deep South. I have been to the Deep South- and all over the South. Richmond to me is very very Southern.
Where does the deep south begins according to you?
I have always considered VA to be south, Upper south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,770,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lets see them go, south would be beautiful without the bible belt, poverty, racism and ignorance that is still widespread

Cant be that bad since so many Yankee's love moving down there

Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 PM

279 posts, read 415,897 times
These were the True Southern States.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:00 PM

279 posts, read 415,897 times
These are the True Southern States Today.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:43 PM

87 posts, read 358,440 times
Looking at that map, is the WV panhandle considered to be in the south?

I think I've already posted (maybe about 15 pages ago, I'm too lazy to go back) that living in Northern Kentucky, I'm not sure if I live in the North or the South. Doesn't bother me either way, although I know my neighbors in Cincinnati don't live in the South.

But if I live in the South, it sure feels strange when we travel on vacation to Branson, MO, to travel south to vacation in the North.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:10 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,404,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post

I think I've already posted (maybe about 15 pages ago, I'm too lazy to go back) that living in Northern Kentucky, I'm not sure if I live in the North or the South. Doesn't bother me either way, although I know my neighbors in Cincinnati don't live in the South.

But if I live in the South, it sure feels strange when we travel on vacation to Branson, MO, to travel south to vacation in the North.
Branson is a southern city, I agree there. However, the Ohio River is a major divider between Northern and Southern culture, and most of Missouri lies to the north of where the Ohio River touches the Mississippi...latitude is not always necessarily the best indicator of what is North and what is South culturally..the Ohio River really does do a great job of dividing the Midwest apart from the South...across Missouri, U.S. Highway 60 and the areas roughly 30 miles to the north and south of it are around where the southern/Midwestern transition zone ends. But Branson is practically on the Arkansas border...if i had my way that part of Missouri would be ARkansas...it is distinctly more Southern than the rest of the state and feels quite different. In no way is Branson Midwestern in any shape or form.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,248,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgun View Post
These were the True Southern States.
I think I would disagree. The true southern states were Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia, the original southern states of the U.S. At the time of the War of Northern Aggression, Virginia was the most revered of the Southern states.

Lady BeBop, I understand your reservations about the northern panhandle of West Virginia. I can see that there is no real reason, other than a technicality, to consider it southern, this little finger of land giving the 'up yours' to the North. According to the Univ. of PA it isn't even in the sphere of Southern dialect. But as someone intensely interested in the history of West Virginia, particularly the ante-bellum days, there are things that distinguish this little archipelago of the South from the surrounding Ohio and Pennsylvania. Slave auctions took place regularly at the Center Market prior to the WoNA. At the start of the war a group of young bucks organized into a Company called the Shrivers Grays, and became part of the famed Stonewall Brigade. Although only a few miles wide, the panhandle, historically, distinguished its Southern affiliations in the face of Ohio and Pennsylvania, as related in this essay in the Mississippi Quarterly, Fall 1999, by Dawn Henwood-Slaveries "In the Borders": Rebecca Harding Davis's "Life in the Iron Mills" in Its Southern Context | Mississippi Quarterly, The | Find Articles at BNET

Over and above these commercial ties to the South, the Wheeling of Davis's youth preserved many of the cultural characteristics of Tidewater society. When Frances Trollope visited Wheeling in 1829, she found the town marked by "all that sedulous attention which in this country distinguishes a slave state."(9) In her "Pen-Pictures of Society in the Ante-Bellum Days," published in the Wheeling Intelligencer of 1902, local resident Dorothy Patterson describes fashionable life in Wheeling around the time of Trollope's visit as part of the gracious pageantry of the Old South, in which "velvet-footed slaves waited upon every whim of my lady gay, and hospitality brewed a toddy for the gallant cavalier."(10) Although throughout the nineteenth century the slave population in Virginia's northwestern panhandle was well under five percent, many of the First Families of Wheeling were slaveholders. Moreover, if plantations in the western mountains were not common, they were not impossible. In the early 1800s the Shepherd plantation on the outskirts of Wheeling, a real-life parallel to Willa Cather's fictional mountain plantation in Sapphira and the Slave Girl, featured slave quarters along with its mill, barn, stables, and shops (Fetherling, p. 28). Despite its burgeoning industrial economy and its large proportion of German and Irish residents, antebellum Wheeling was, according to historian Doug Fetherling, the Northernmost bastion of Southern civilization. Even the town's architecture, which favored Grecian models, had a strong Southern flair (p. 39). Joseph Wilde's History of Wheeling During the Past Forty Years [c. 1880] describes Wheeling society c. 1840 as "quite refined, and marked with the character of the old Virginia style."

I'm not trying to make a case for the northern panhandle as Southern, but it is important to remember that it isn't 'really' Ohio or Pennsylvania.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,094,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post

Northern Kentucky is often considered the most "Northern" part of Kentucky since it is so close to a major city in Ohio.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,404,511 times
I think Maryland and Delaware can't be considered Southern today. They definitely fit in better with the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic than with Virginia.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:40 PM

87 posts, read 358,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Northern Kentucky is often considered the most "Northern" part of Kentucky since it is so close to a major city in Ohio.
Oh, I always thought of me living in the most "Northern" part of Kentucky...partly because I live so close to Cincinnati, but mostly because the three counties of Kentucky that are close to Cincinnati (Boone, Kenton and Campbell) are, geographically, the most northern parts of KY.

I can't really see the WV Panhandle as being part of the South. I spent Memorial Day weekend visiting my husband's relatives in the Steubenville,OH/Weirton, WV area. To me, Chicago feels more Southern than Weirton. (OK, those in Chicago, please don't take this as saying Chicago is in the South. )

Besides, if you travel due north from Weirton about 120 miles, you'll run into Lake Erie. That's not South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.