Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:17 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times

Advertisements

If you could have any region of your state to separate what would it be???
What I mean by that is, what part of your state has to pay for the rest of the state problems, but the state doesn't want to pay for your problems!!! Or it just doesn't seem as if it should be in the same state because it's messes up your regions Reputation...

For me I say: The Upstate, SC

South Carolina Dept. of Transportation never want's to fund any road projects in the area, until it is needed...So what I mean by that is: A road could be in grade D form heading towards grade F form fast but they do not want to fund it until it's grade D...(Ex. I-85 which needs about 4 lanes in each direction along with HOV lanes, this has been proposed but it hasn't been actually planned by the state)...But on the other hand some other part's of SC have 4 lanes in each direction in a rural location including light's (On I-385 there is barley any light's), new bridges, and etc...

Columbia, SC doesn't like Greenville so it proposed to take away one of it's new developments (that will include 20,000 new jobs) and move it to another part of the state because we have to much development going on...

In the stimulus package money coming to SC, Greenville will get a small percentage of it...

University of South Carolina doesn't have a Greenville location but it has locations in other cities and counties adjacent to Greenville...

I believe it would do better as it's own state, but this will never happen, and I don't want it to happen!!! I just want to ask what region of your state is undeserved???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Upstate and downstate NY should separate. It's like we're 2 completely different countries lol. I'm sure the people upstate are tired of downstate anyway, because when you say you live in NY (even if it's upstate like 8 hours away from downstate), people assume you're from NYC. I bet people upstate are tired of that. At least us downstate can say that we live just outside the city.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
FWIW, southern and northern Louisiana could be two separate states for similar reasons the OP stated about South Carolina. I don't look for it to happen and would just as soon not see it, but there are some definite inequities in the state spending bills. At least the LSU nation holds the state together more than anything else

Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default New Netherlands or New Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Upstate and downstate NY should separate. It's like we're 2 completely different countries lol. I'm sure the people upstate are tired of downstate anyway, because when you say you live in NY (even if it's upstate like 8 hours away from downstate), people assume you're from NYC. I bet people upstate are tired of that. At least us downstate can say that we live just outside the city.
This is actually a serious problem. Something is wrong when people have to say New York STATE just so everyone knows they are talking about an entire state and not just a city. Probably the best thing though would be a name change -- maybe our old name. Its been proposed before.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
when I was a kid I was soooo sick of explaining to people that I met on our cross country car trips, that NO I didn't have a "Noo Yawk" accent, and YES I had seen cows and horses before, etc.

I don't mind saying New York State. What I do mind, is when statewide agencies and groups that call themselves the "New York Whatever" choose to represent themselves with the Statue of Liberty or the New York City skyline. Those are NOT statewide symbols that signify all of New York State! So they shouldn't use them if you claim to represent the interests of the entire state. They're just being lazy. That's like using the Hollywood sign to represent all of California.

I can't even believe we went for so many years with a New York license plate that ONLY showed the Statue of Liberty. An outrage. Finally they got it together and put Niagara Falls and the Adirondacks in there. I think there should be a state law that says that any statewide agency has to use both a NYC symbol and an upstate symbol (Niagara Falls is a good all purpose symbol).

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
I would say the largest city in GA in the Piedmont region (north GA) should be could be separate from the lower part of the state. (Are you whiners happy?) I think the city/region that I'm talking about is putting this state on it's shoulders but doesn't get the respect it deserves. I realize that I'm being selfish a little but we'd be better off if the entire GA Piedmont+Columbus would adopt Chattanooga from TN and become our own state and we get to keep the name Georgia. I'm not smug, I'm really not, but I think that's a good idea for @L.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM

143 posts, read 290,070 times
I think Illinois could seperate into 2 parts at I-80 and both parts would be pretty happy...North of I-80 = Chicago + Suburbs, South of I 80 = Central/Southern Illinois

Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
far eastern PA (Philly area/Lehigh Valley). i think we should ignore the river and it should be part of New Jersey

Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
North Jersey and South Jersey.. People think jersey as just an extension of NY when people who may live in south jersey have noting to do with nyc. Trust, people always argue about north and south jersey..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Jersey people are crazy

i've lived in north, central and south...the central part kills me...

like we need to split this small state up even more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.