Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,655 times

Advertisements

I'm not jealous of FL. I actually would love to visit the place during the non-summer months for a relaxing beach vacation.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:50 PM

322 posts, read 902,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I hear this so many times from transplants from up North. "My friends won't come see me since we moved to Florida". "I call and ask them to come visit, but they keep making excuses". "Well, they are just jealous that we are now living in "paradise" and they are still living in the cold north". "People from up North would KILL to be in Florida when it is 85 degrees in January". It is almost the same line over and over from all different people.

What is with these people? Do they really believe this or are they trying to convince THEMSELVES?

My question is, "Are YOU (living in cold climates) jealous of people who have moved to Florida?" If money was no object, would you move to Florida? Or do you like living where we are in your "cold" climate?
Yes, I am jealous of people living in Florida. But I live in Alaska. I am moving to Texas in four months. I have lived in several places. I don't understand why people put up with some place they hate for so many years and only move to a climate they like when they retire. If people really hate the cold and snow, they should move now. I see people put up with miserable winters in Alaska for so long and say that someday when they retire, they'll move south to Hawaii or Arizona or wherever. Even if they are working on the north slope for oil, they could get a job in the gulf coast if they are tired of the climate here. But sometimes, they seem to think you have to get old to earn the right to move south or something. I think my friends who were going to move to Hawaii "someday when they retire" are finally understanding that no, you don't have to put up with this climate at all. You can make plans and up and move now...while you're young.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
Yes, I am jealous of people living in Florida. But I live in Alaska. I am moving to Texas in four months. I have lived in several places. I don't understand why people put up with some place they hate for so many years and only move to a climate they like when they retire. If people really hate the cold and snow, they should move now. I see people put up with miserable winters in Alaska for so long and say that someday when they retire, they'll move south to Hawaii or Arizona or wherever. Even if they are working on the north slope for oil, they could get a job in the gulf coast if they are tired of the climate here. But sometimes, they seem to think you have to get old to earn the right to move south or something. I think my friends who were going to move to Hawaii "someday when they retire" are finally understanding that no, you don't have to put up with this climate at all. You can make plans and up and move now...while you're young.

Because some people can't move due to certain circumstances, like career, family, etc. It's hard for most people to just pick up and move somewhere they like.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:18 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Because some people can't move due to certain circumstances, like career, family, etc. It's hard for most people to just pick up and move somewhere they like.
You got that right. I would be so out of the Chicago area now if not for my career and other responsibilities. That too will change.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold it there. Florida is warm/hot climate. California is mild, and lacks humidity. Just had to clear that up. Carry on.
Sorry about that. I didn't really mean mild. It's hardly mild down in Florida unless you like a combination suana and blast furnace.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My question is, "Are YOU (living in cold climates) jealous of people who have moved to Florida?" If money was no object, would you move to Florida? Or do you like living where we are in your "cold" climate?
When I lived in cold weather, I never felt the desire to move to Florida.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM

117 posts, read 394,533 times
After visiting florida many times I can honestly say you could not pay me to live there.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,483 times
watching some of there trees bloom for spring reminds me why i'd never leave the north east..

80 degree winters still is to hot for me, but 95 degree 100% humidity spring and summer's sound like hell. And don't forget to mention the wonderfully huge bugs

Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
watching some of there trees bloom for spring reminds me why i'd never leave the north east..

80 degree winters still is to hot for me, but 95 degree 100% humidity spring and summer's sound like hell. And don't forget to mention the wonderfully huge bugs

Exactly..I don't really particularly like our winters a whole lot (they're tolerable. Doesn't really bother me though), but it's the best time of the year when the grass gets green again, the flowers start to poke out of the dirt, buds start appearing, etc I wouldn't trade that for year round 75 degrees.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
Heck no! I'm from San Diego, born and raised and wanted to experience 4 seasons. When looking to relocate, Florida was definitely not even on our list of possibilities! Since leaving San Diego, we've lived in Missouri, Georgia and now Virginia. Love to have all the seasonal changes. Still wouldn't move to Florida, even in the dead of winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.