Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:11 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,441 times

Advertisements

Hi i was wondering where is a good location for a single parent making about $32k a year with 3 kids. 1 is a adult one a toddler and the other a teen. i myself am a LPN for now but still going for the RN. I am looking for culture, excitement, diversity and a safe neighborhood for children. Living in richmond VA currently and I hope to get as far away as possible. i find it dull and boring to say the least. Don't try to convince me how wonderful it is because I've already decided to move due to too many reasons to list.

I realize it may not be a lot of money to some but i am able to make it work for me until I'm a RN. If anyone can suggest some locations that are worth looking into please list them. I need some change by the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Outside of NYC/Boston/San Fran and a few other expensive places... I think you will be fine as your salary will most likely be slightly better... and cost of living not too much different.

Hrrmmm how bout Chicago? Probably better pay for an RN and huge medical district...

same with Houston...

both have culture and diversity, different climate and culture though.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:33 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Outside of NYC/Boston/San Fran and a few other expensive places... I think you will be fine as your salary will most likely be slightly better... and cost of living not too much different.

Hrrmmm how bout Chicago? Probably better pay for an RN and huge medical district...

same with Houston...

both have culture and diversity, different climate and culture though.
I would say Houston over Chicago.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

The "best place to move on 32k a year" would be around the corner from where their mother or grandmother lives.

Interesting that your children make your life-altering decisions for you but to each his own....

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by Bo; 03-14-2009 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post your post was replying to has been deleted

Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Have you considered any parts of the Interior Northeast? On $32,000 you can live comfortably (not extravagantly) here in my native Northeastern Pennsylvania, where you'd be roughly two hours from either NYC or Philly if you ever "got too bored." Your outdoor recreational opportunities are numerous, employment options in the nursing/medical industry here are booming (a new medical college is slated to open this fall in Scranton), and to me we're just the perfect size. We have "heavy" traffic, but it's nearly never congested. We're large enough to attract some great headline acts (Coldplay even just announced they're coming to Scranton as part of their "Viva la Vida Tour"), yet we're still small enough to enjoy those concerts. We have a lot of petty crime, but violent crime is very, very rare. We're not very diverse, but that is improving with each passing year as more transplants from NJ/NYC flood on in.

Just give it some thought. There's plenty of folks on the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum who'd be more than happy to help you!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Sorry i deleted that post I thought it was a double post. Yes I am considering everywhere but the state of va basically. I never really considered Pennsylvania before (mainly because I felt it was still too close) but I am going to look more into it right now! Thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 03:17 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
It would help if we knew what other things you and your kids like in the way of activities and weather. Does the older kid have a career path they want to pursue? Does he/she contribute to the household finances?

There are many of places where you can live for 32K if you know the basics of frugality. If you don't have the frugality part mastered then you will be living above your means no matter where you go and how much you earn.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:37 PM

83 posts, read 279,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
I am looking for culture, excitement, diversity and a safe neighborhood for children. Living in richmond VA currently and I hope to get as far away as possible. i find it dull and boring to say the least. I realize it may not be a lot of money to some but i am able to make it work for me until I'm a RN.

Hmmm.... Sadly, the market often is a good indicator of how desirable a place to live is - i.e, the more expensive, the more "culture, excitement and safety" you will find.

I can put in a word for San Antonio - you can live surprisingly well on $32K, as real estate is still dirt cheap there, and there are quite a few medical jobs. Only places you will find as cheap are in the rust belt.......

Old 03-28-2009, 04:48 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Syracuse might be a good fit for you too. It's diverse enough, it's pretty affordable and there are plenty of nursing jobs here. You would probably like the Westcott/University area of the city. you might like the Outer Comstock neighborhood as well. Here's some information:Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott Street Cultural Fair

Westcott Community Center

Westcott East Neighborhood Association

University Neighborhood, Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Outer Comstock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott

Thornden Park

//www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...hborhoods.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.