Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:37 AM

40 posts, read 113,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Why reinvent the wheel. Here's a map, done by an academician, that I'd say is a much better representation.
If what I hear on other threads is any indication, then that map's inclusion of Missouri in the South is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Love how the Mormons are considered to be their own region....

Old 03-21-2009, 09:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Why reinvent the wheel. Here's a map, done by an academician, that I'd say is a much better representation.
Better representation? Using a term like "Mormon"? It's a slang word. True "Mormons" prefer the term LDS. There are also a lot of, uh, LDS in Arizona.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
If what I hear on other threads is any indication, then that map's inclusion of Missouri in the South is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Agreed. The OP's map made much better sense as to Missouri.

The book that map came from is titled "Cultural Regions of the United States" by Raymond Gastil. I have a copy of it, and without specifically going back to look, I seem to recall that one reason so much of Missouri was placed in the general "South" region, was the high percentage of Southern Baptist Church membership, and certain facts involving western migration.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
Does he consider it the South? The map has St. Louis listed as "non-conforming metropolitan area".

Interesting how he puts Scranton in with the interior New England while Pittsburgh is placed with the rest of central PA, eastern PA and southern New Jersey.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
No way is western NY anything like the midwest. I'd put it in with the northeast. Then have a separate New England category.
Western NY is very much like NW Pa, NE Ohio, etc.........i think there should be a Great Lakes Region if you're going to have a Plains Region. People in Northern Ohio are most definitely different from southern Ohio.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Interesting effort. However: I have lived in southern Missouri and northern Michigan. I can assure you that northern Michigan is not at all similar to southern Missouri.

Your separation of south Florida as a cultural zone is interesting. I wonder if south Florida, central Arizona and southern California might all be put into one disjunct cultural zone>

Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Western NY is very much like NW Pa, NE Ohio, etc.........i think there should be a Great Lakes Region if you're going to have a Plains Region. People in Northern Ohio are most definitely different from southern Ohio.
I disagree. When ever I'm in northern Ohio or Wester PA for work, people ask me where I"m from because of my accent. The pace of life is different in PA and OH. There are different regional stores/restaurants/slang words. Different ethnic influences in the cities. Where I am in Rochester is nothing like those areas.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I disagree. When ever I'm in northern Ohio or Wester PA for work, people ask me where I"m from because of my accent. The pace of life is different in PA and OH. There are different regional stores/restaurants/slang words. Different ethnic influences in the cities. Where I am in Rochester is nothing like those areas.
That's because the W.NY great lakes accent is more pronounced than that in NE Ohio or W. Pa. I live near Youngstown and i don't sound like people from Cleveland or Pittsburgh, yet we share the same culture.

Sure there are different stores and restaurants, but that doesn't prove the areas have different culture.

Culture is the big issue here, not accent and shopping.

Are you saying that Rochester doesn't have the italian, polish, german, slovak, greek, black, etc ethnic influences that we have here???? Are you saying people in Rochester don't have a blue collar/union background??? You guys don't have ethnic festivals??? Pierogies??? Obsession w/sports??? I could go on in on. If none of the above is true, then you're right, you aren't part of our region..........CULTURALLY.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
That's because the W.NY great lakes accent is more pronounced than that in NE Ohio or W. Pa. I live near Youngstown and i don't sound like people from Cleveland or Pittsburgh, yet we share the same culture.

Sure there are different stores and restaurants, but that doesn't prove the areas have different culture.

Culture is the big issue here, not accent and shopping.

Are you saying that Rochester doesn't have the italian, polish, german, slovak, greek, black, etc ethnic influences that we have here???? Are you saying people in Rochester don't have a blue collar/union background??? You guys don't have ethnic festivals??? Pierogies??? Obsession w/sports??? I could go on in on. If none of the above is true, then you're right, you aren't part of our region..........CULTURALLY.
Well, we have some of that in Denver! That doesn't really define a place culturally. This "land of immigrants" has a lot of ethnic festivals, just with different ethnicities in different parts of the country. Sports obesession? Got that, too! My ex-spouse is from Rochester, he wasn't too interested in sports.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,410 times
Quote:
So according to this person we have:

(1) New England:

(a) Upper New England
(b) Western New York and Northern Pennsylvania (Scranton/Erie)

(2) New York City Metropolitan Area:

--Southern New York; Long Island; Northern New Jersey

(3) Pennsylvanian:

--SW New Jersey; SE New Jersey; Eastern PA; C. PA; Western PA

(4) Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington DC

(5) South

(a) Texas and Oklahoma
(b) Deep South; Florida to West Virginia, Louisiana, most of Missouri

(6) Central Midwest:

--Most of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, S. Iowa, N. Missouri, E. Kansas, SE Nebraska

(7) St. Louis and Kansas City

(8) Upper Midwest:

(a) Michigan/N. Ohio
(b) Wisconsin, Minnesota, N. Iowa, W. Dakotas

(9) Cleveland, Detroit, Chicagoland

(10) Rocky Mountain:

--Most of Colorado, Wyoming, Montana

(11) Mormon:

--Mainly Utah, parts of Wyoming, Nevada, Idaho, Arizona

(12) Interior Southwest:

--New Mexico, Arizona, S. Colorado

(13) Phoenix and Tuscon Area

(14) Pacific Southwest:

--California, Most of Nevada

(15) Pacific Northwest:

--Washington, Oregon, Western Idaho

I'd largely agree. Though how old is this map? Miami should undoubtedly be placed in a different cultural category.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.