Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Suburbs are suburbs anywhere in the country so obviously one isn't going to feel any bigger out there. Where DC, to me, feels larger than a place like Atlanta is when you're riding on the metro and can see the clusters of buildings that make up all the satellite cities around like Alexandria, Arlington, Tyson's, Silver Spring, etc which would be decent sized cities themselves in most other regions of the country. That, and the non-stop development to Baltimore make me feel that DC's MSA is larger than it is.
I've never equated density with how large a city is. I've gone to DC plenty of times, and I was even more surprised when I found out it had 8 million in it's area. Driving around Houston and seeing the masive freeways, horrible traffic, and huge buildings made me realize how huge Houston was. They both felt around the same size to me honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Suburbs are suburbs anywhere in the country so obviously one isn't going to feel any bigger out there. Where DC, to me, feels larger than a place like Atlanta is when you're riding on the metro and can see the clusters of buildings that make up all the satellite cities around like Alexandria, Arlington, Tyson's, Silver Spring, etc which would be decent sized cities themselves in most other regions of the country. That, and the non-stop development to Baltimore make me feel that DC's MSA is larger than it is.
Some of that can be explained with DC's height restriction. In places like Atlanta and Houston, buildings in the center city can be as tall as they want, but in DC the high-rises are out in the suburbs rather than in the city center.

I love DC and like the fact that its beautiful memorials and monuments aren't hidden behind a bunch of skyscrapers.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:06 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never equated density with how large a city is. I've gone to DC plenty of times, and I was even more surprised when I found out it had 8 million in it's area. Driving around Houston and seeing the masive freeways, horrible traffic, and huge buildings made me realize how huge Houston was. They both felt around the same size to me honestly.
Metro wise, they feel the same way. City wise, DC feels bigger. Much more urban and much more dense than Houston or any other metro it's size.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
San Antonio and Orlando should overtake Cleveland and Cincinnati very soon.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:43 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^Do you realize San Antonio covers double the area that the Cleveland or Cincinnati area covers?

Last edited by unusualfire; 03-21-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
Sorry that you didn't get a good tour of DC metro.
Me neither.

When I was actually in DC and riding METRO, it did, but out in the suburbs where I was staying, didn't feel much bigger than Houston at all. In fact, Houston's MSA is bigger than DC's MSA.

I'm thinking its the way it is setup. With the trees alongside the freeway, you don't see as much development as say, Houston, where there are not many trees alongside the freeway and you see everything.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Metro wise, they feel the same way. City wise, DC feels bigger. Much more urban and much more dense than Houston or any other metro it's size.
City wise it didn't feel bigger to me. I've never considered just because a city is more dense, that it feels bigger. I've been to DC atleast 5-6 times and we usually drive through the city. It feels about the same size as Houston.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Well your right NY is Bigger in Land Area,But not in Population maybe you you were thinking density.

The CSA for LA Population is about 18 million
The CSA for NY Population is about 22 million

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ropolitan_area

Old 03-21-2009, 01:49 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
You shouldn't judge by "feel". Commuters commute into DC everyday from WV, Frederick, Baltimore, Annapolis, Northern Virginia, parts of Pennsylvania, and Columbia area. MARC commuter trains bring them in by the thousands, and return them home in the afternoon. DC's MSA, like Milwaukee's, is wrong. MSA's follow county lines instead of actual suburb lines. Columbia, for example, is both a suburb of DC and Baltimore, but because it is in Howard county it gets counted as Baltimore. Following county lines is what causes the confusion over what DC's true MSA would be. The CSA is more accurate than the MSA. Baltimore is confusing as well. They added Washington to their airport name because they recognized a big chunk of their business is from Washington.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:59 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
13. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA -- 4,274,531
Once again, the state and the census disagree in the interim. One the census is actually taken however, the state is always proven right.

Anyway,
according to the State of California,
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA -- 4,447,367

The CSA population is 7,666,877
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.