Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times

Advertisements

Pa.'s state income tax is .0307% and sales tax is 6%, no tax on clothes and food. We have 1 plate on our car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 PM

53 posts, read 489,712 times
Thank you all for your wonderful information!!

I just knew the "pros" would know the answers!!

I know it may seem silly to seasoned citizens of states north of Florida to be concerned about this topic.....but, to me it is (or should I say, was) a mystery to me.

Most appreciated!!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
my head is spinning from all these statistics........(puking emoticon)

I tell ya at least Governor Bush had the balls to eliminate the emmission inspections.One of the rare occassions that government admitted that a program was a waste and stopped it.

I guess most places with a state income tax would have generally higher wages no?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Alaska has no state income tax, AND no state sales tax...

Bud

Old 04-01-2007, 07:12 PM

27 posts, read 140,497 times
Delaware has no sales tax. Does have state income tax though and only one plate.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:39 PM

138 posts, read 979,253 times
Don't need 2 license plates in Michigan or Indiana. But you do in Ohio. I've been driving around Toledo, Ohio with only 1-license plate for 15 years now; never got pulled over or harrassed by a cop. But I took a trip on the Interstate, going towards Columbus, Ohio and a State Trooper pullled me over and hit me with $90 ticket for no plate on the front.

I'd bet 35 to 40% of ALL OHIOANS lack a license plate on the front of their vehicle. Therefore, the State Troopers can basically pull over 35 to 40% of drivers, on this alone.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post
I'd bet 35 to 40% of ALL OHIOANS lack a license plate on the front of their vehicle. Therefore, the State Troopers can basically pull over 35 to 40% of drivers, on this alone.
Why? Don't they give you two whenever you register your vehicle?

In Ontario we have 14% sales tax (8% Provincial, 6% Federal), somewhere between 5-15% Provincial income tax (weird formulas) and two licence plates.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:36 PM

286 posts, read 1,587,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post
Don't need 2 license plates in Michigan or Indiana. But you do in Ohio. I've been driving around Toledo, Ohio with only 1-license plate for 15 years now; never got pulled over or harrassed by a cop. But I took a trip on the Interstate, going towards Columbus, Ohio and a State Trooper pullled me over and hit me with $90 ticket for no plate on the front.

Hubby used to keep his placed on his dash board so it could be "seen" from the front. He was only in and out of Toledo, so never got in trouble... Once back over the Michigan line, the plate went into the glove box.

Yes, they give you two plates when you register. Not all cars are equiped with the front plate holder and that is an additional purchase that some folks just never get around to making if the car came from a state like Michigan where there is no front plate required.

As for info on the topic... Michigan has state income + 6% sales (except non-prepared food) + seemingly high property taxes. Vehicle registration is loosely based on the original value of the vehicle, plus many "extras" have to be licensed in some way (trailers, boats, high hunting/fishing). MI does allow a rental and/or mortgage credit, but the criteria can be hard to hit with income vs rent price paid.

I would definitely take Ohio into consideration, and I'm not saying that because I'm headed that way... Seems like there are fewer problems and a more relaxed way of life.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:39 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,623 times
MA has a 5% income tax, 5% sales tax, and 5% meals tax. Cities and towns may be able to add meals tax surcharges soon, but they can't now. I think the state requires 2 plates on a car, but I see very few cars with 2 plates.

States without an income or sales tax get your money some other way. Texas has an 8.5% sales tax and sky-high property taxes. NH has a 9% meals tax, 12% hotel tax, and very high property taxes, with surcharges for scenic views.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 05-28-2007 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-28-2007, 09:41 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
Yes, they give you two plates when you register. Not all cars are equiped with the front plate holder and that is an additional purchase that some folks just never get around to making if the car came from a state like Michigan where there is no front plate required.
I see...

I think all cars here are sold with two licence plate holders in Ontario. When I was in Alberta I noticed they only had one licence plate. Most Canadian provinces seem to require two plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.