Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 32,340 times

Advertisements

Bisbee AZ, if you like to get stoned and do art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 AM

607 posts, read 2,980,374 times
Ann Arbor michigan and plymouth michigan are very artsy places.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Thanks for the latest editions of towns/cities.

Hope everyone is going well and enjoying the sunshine.

I'm still out of internet range, in the Owl Head Mountains, and hope to rejoin the larger world soon.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:11 PM

184 posts, read 447,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Glad that some of the info is helpful or might lead to some satisfactory relocations.

Any experiences of your own you'd like to share--we haven't had as many Southern cities mentioned to offset all those in the NE and several posters sure wouldn't mind a warm weather climate.

Best to you too!
Sorry for the delay!

I'm actually a transplant to the South, but let me list the ones I have visited with some potential. Keep in mind most of them were just short visits, so living there may be quite different.

Asheville, NC - One of my favs but it is getting pricey. Beautiful scenery in the Blue Ridge Mountains, tons of outdoor activities as well. I've also heard the job market is rough, it's a BYOJ kind of place.

Savannah, GA - Awesome architecture, Savannah College of Art & Design, great location on the water, felt a bit segregated though. Fantastic history though.

Chattanooga, TN - Great walkable downtown area, a couple of nice museums perched on the waterfront also near the mountains. Seemed like it had potential. You can be in the Smokies in about an hour.

Yellow Springs, OH - Very small which may limit you, but it seems to have a good vibe and community feel. Liberal arts college there as well. About 30-45 minutes from Dayton, Ohio.

A few other honorable mentions I have visited would include

Madison, WI - Seemed like a very pedestrian/bike friendly place situated near multiple lakes. College Town vibe that seemed to have a # of galleries downtown. Only 1.5 ish hours to Chicago. Keep in mind I was only there for 1 long weekend.

Louisville, KY - The Bardstown Rd. & Frankfort Ave. areas are gems for this area. Lot's of mom and pop shops, small galleries, good rest. etc. Pockets of it seem artsy but on a whole it's still a bit bland and sprawling.

I'm still searching for my spot, hopefully with more suggestions and travel time all of us will find it. I've got an itch to go West so that's where I'm focusing my search at this point. If only Carmel, CA would donate a house to me

Good luck everyone, keep us posted on your travels!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 AM

22 posts, read 106,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azyankeeartist View Post
And, Austinites..are there smaller towns outside Austin that are reasonably priced, but have other creative types there? (Smithville, Bastrop??) I'm a young 40 something woman, and just lookin' for a new home. (It just has to be sunny and warm!)
hello all! its good to be back online, and rejoin all those seeking the ultimate creative experience and geographic!

i posted a bit ago about the places id been east coast worth checking into, and at the time was in the process of moving to austin. i am now here!
a month into this excursion, id say for anyone who is looking for a young and undefined true art scene niche, austin is a great start.
for example : charlotte, nc plays to the wealthy bankers of d'town, and thus their tastes. (please dont burn me here. ANY artistic community relies on patronage! some more varied than others...)
austin is also a magnet for the types of people who would theoretically find austin cool. in a way it is its own self perpetuating idea of what austin is, made by the transients like me that move here to experience it in that way. its weird, fun, tolerant, and has more things to do than you could shake a stick at. that is, if you are into shaking sticks!
top notch visual venues, (not as many as i had originally thought however, guess ill have to make my own) and enough variety and overall creativity in general to keep you interested and willing to participate.
so in short...id rank this one a great move (for me, and obviously a lot of others)
plus anyone who moves here is eligible to join my upcoming artist collective!

azyankeeartist,
if you want art in austin, aim for downtown. you can get nice suburbia a bit outside of the city, especially to the north. if you dont mind a commute to art, id be nice. im sure some true born an bred texans can answer this question a lot better than i can however, me being a newbie and all. i did research a small artistic community in Wimberley however, which is ? in relation to austin.

Last edited by griffininsight; 08-15-2007 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: rambling

Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 PM

Nice to read some new insights about artists' towns. I'll probably have some more to add when I am sitting beside a roaring fire, not inside the local library, but all in all, the mountains have done me good!

Many thanks to griffininsight and eightiesfan for their valuable additions.

Til later!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 AM

182 posts, read 810,954 times
Default new computer art and life

hello everyone,
I have had ongoing problems with my laptop, finally gave up and got a new tower. What a frustrating experience! It was a HP laptop that I had sent in to be repaired several times and this latest they wouldn't even return my phone calls. I wanted a new laptop. the thing was hardly a year old still under warranty... I could go on and on.....
Ontheroad, i did make it to Tampa but only for a quick looksee. The museum there is nice, smaller than what I had expected. I have pretty much crossed Florida off my list. I had a show here and the paper didn't even put a listing in the weekly arts section. I wasn't looking for a special write up but at least an announcement with all the other listings for the month.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to Ct. where my daughter is or New Orleans where my mom and cousins are. N.O. is home for me but I worry about the quality of life. Ct. better quality but would feel like an outsider... still have time. I'd like to make this the final move, to settled once and for all in place so the extra angst.
You sound like you are having some needed reflection up in the mountains, good for you. Wish I was there right now, its hot as anything here

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 AM

119 posts, read 379,789 times
Default art towns

amazed that no one has mentioned New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ/Stockton, NJ, Frenchtown,NJ area
many accomplished artists, many seeking to be so
great art galleries & antique shops
good places to eat, good music scene
beauty of the Delaware River
close to NY & Philly, but not too close
can overflow w/ visitors on weekends, but so what, they come for the same reasons as most
cost of living can be high
climate moderate, usually, Delaware can flood, so living away from the river can be important
liberal, progressive area inside a blue/moderate state
cheers!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Thanks, rugnot, for adding this area of NJ/PA. I do think New Hope came up on the thread, but not the other towns.

One of the issues I've come to understand is the difference between an artist town that is established, and expensive to live, a town that abounds with art, and lastly towns that attract artists in a regional area and are still affordable.

More later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugnot View Post
amazed that no one has mentioned New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ/Stockton, NJ, Frenchtown,NJ area
many accomplished artists, many seeking to be so
great art galleries & antique shops
good places to eat, good music scene
beauty of the Delaware River
close to NY & Philly, but not too close
can overflow w/ visitors on weekends, but so what, they come for the same reasons as most
cost of living can be high
climate moderate, usually, Delaware can flood, so living away from the river can be important
liberal, progressive area inside a blue/moderate state
cheers!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:26 PM

stormweary, hope we'll still get a chance to meet in September (coming very close).
CT does sound like a good possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Ontheroad, i did make it to Tampa but only for a quick looksee. The museum there is nice, smaller than what I had expected. I have pretty much crossed Florida off my list. I had a show here and the paper didn't even put a listing in the weekly arts section. I wasn't looking for a special write up but at least an announcement with all the other listings for the month.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to Ct. where my daughter is or New Orleans where my mom and cousins are. N.O. is home for me but I worry about the quality of life. Ct. better quality but would feel like an outsider... still have time. I'd like to make this the final move, to settled once and for all in place so the extra angst.
You sound like you are having some needed reflection up in the mountains, good for you. Wish I was there right now, its hot as anything here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.