Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best?
Baltimore 37 30.58%
Cleveland 27 22.31%
Charlotte 57 47.11%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You made this about Pittsburgh. And yes, we know, you've got low unemployment, etc., etc. And still nobody wants to live there The least of your concerns should be Charlotte or any other city, your city has terrible problems all its own that you can't seem to get a grip on...

Survey: Pittsburgh among least popular U.S. cities: Survey: Pittsburgh among least popular U.S. cities - Pittsburgh Business Times:

Forecast predicts Pittsburgh population to fall 6.8 percent by 2025:
Forecast predicts Pittsburgh population to fall 6.8 percent by 2025 - Pittsburgh Business Times:
LOL!! I can't believe your pulling out the Pew Research survey and a Bizjournal (a total rag) population forecast. I'm willing to bet that of the 2,260 people surveyed, most have never been to cities like Denver, Minneapolis, Tampa, or Sacramento. If they had, the results would look completely different.

I'll be honest about the Bizjournal forecast. It's complete crap. Their methodology is beyond worthless as all they did was basically average the growth rate of each metro from 2000-2008 and applied that rate over time. There is no way cities like Phoenix will continue to grow the way it has. Why? Well, it has to do with our economy. The collapse has and will change the way many cities/metros have been growing, including the Charlotte area, which now has the third highest unemployment rate among the nations largest metropolitan areas. Who would have thought five years ago that the Charlotte area would be right behind Detroit in unemployment numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Those aren't rust belt cities, beside Chicago. And Columbus is highly over-rated. The city was losing people, nearly fell below 200,000 people in 2000.. it was only until they annexed land and suburbs that it appeared to be doing 'good'.

Oh and so you know Rust Belt is NOT synonymous with Midwest. Columbus didn't base it's industries on blue collar jobs.
After checking out the map, it does appear that Minneapolis isn't in the Rustbelt, but geographically, it does look like Chicago, Indy, and Columbus are. But I understand your point about the composition of the local economies. So I guess Chicago is the prime example of a Rustbelt city that refused to slide into decline.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
JSome people could care less, but for me, who loves art and museums, I find that surprising for the size of Charlotte.
You know that's changing with the four new cultural facilities opening within the year that's part of the downtown cultural campus, right? At least give Charlotte credit for doing something about it.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:05 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You made this about Pittsburgh. And yes, we know, you've got low unemployment, etc., etc. And still nobody wants to live there The least of your concerns should be Charlotte or any other city, your city has terrible problems all its own that you can't seem to get a grip on...
Apparently someone hasn't seen all the "moving to pittsburgh" threads on the pittsburgh board........

Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Funny video.. this is sooo not a tourist video but a parody... thought it would be funny to see an ACTUAL tourist video where they talk about "poor people waiting at the bus stop"..

Old 08-07-2009, 05:53 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Funny video.. this is sooo not a tourist video but a parody... thought it would be funny to see an ACTUAL tourist video where they talk about "poor people waiting at the bus stop"..
That's one of the reasons I really dislike that video. If I moved to Cleveland, I'd be one of those "poor people" using mass transit. So, as someone who really was poor as a child, I guess I'm taking it a little personally.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LOL!! I can't believe your pulling out the Pew Research survey and a Bizjournal (a total rag) population forecast. I'm willing to bet that of the 2,260 people surveyed, most have never been to cities like Denver, Minneapolis, Tampa, or Sacramento. If they had, the results would look completely different.

I'll be honest about the Bizjournal forecast. It's complete crap. Their methodology is beyond worthless as all they did was basically average the growth rate of each metro from 2000-2008 and applied that rate over time. There is no way cities like Phoenix will continue to grow the way it has. Why? Well, it has to do with our economy. The collapse has and will change the way many cities/metros have been growing, including the Charlotte area, which now has the third highest unemployment rate among the nations largest metropolitan areas. Who would have thought five years ago that the Charlotte area would be right behind Detroit in unemployment numbers?
Its a sad day when people who live in depressed cities are looking to something such as a recessioin to try and reverse their bad fortunes. But the truth is, the recession will subside in a year or so, and then what???

I'll tell you...this is what...

...”Over the next couple of years, the region might fare relatively better in terms of population losses given the weakness in the national economy and the lack of job growth in other regions and the real estate problems in states such as Florida and Arizona. However, the long term economic push-pull factors for interstate migration that created the decades- long pattern of net out-migration from western Pennsylvania are still in place. Once the recession ends, they will re-assert themselves and therefore it is likely the pace of population loss in the region will pickup again…”

Full Link: Population Slide Continues in City and Region

Old 08-07-2009, 03:06 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
After checking out the map, it does appear that Minneapolis isn't in the Rustbelt, but geographically, it does look like Chicago, Indy, and Columbus are. But I understand your point about the composition of the local economies. So I guess Chicago is the prime example of a Rustbelt city that refused to slide into decline.
As someone from the heart of the rust belt I don't see Columbus and Indy as rust belt. Like Minneapolis, these cities were never built around heavy industry. Chicago is, and like you say was able to withstand the loss of industry that really hurt other rust belt cities. This is because of the shear size and diversity of the place as well as much better urban planning than other other cities.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yeah, and I love Chicago. To me Cleveland is a mini-Chicago. There are all these negative articles and things said about Cleveland, but the surrounding areas (where 80% of the metro lives) is absolutely beautiful. I mean take a look at Rocky River, Bay Village, Chagrin Falls, Pepper Pike, Brecksville, etc, on google maps street view. There are 30 other suburbs exactly the same. Beautiful neighborhoods, with REAL houses, not those fake cookie-cutter homes that span for miles.

I think it's just a matter of time before Cleveland INNER city improves. There needs to be a transition from the blue collar jobs to more of the main stays already in the region like Health Care.

And why are people acting like Charlotte doesn't have it's problems? Here's a quote from The Economist:

Quote:
"No one is claiming Pittsburgh is perfect," he said, noting that Mr. Haulk "bragged a few years ago about how great Charlotte is, and now Charlotte is in total collapse."
See, I read it online so I believe it to be 100% true! (that's a lil joke considering that's how it works for Cleveland)

Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 PM

Overexaggerate much, Mr. Haulk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.