Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM

106 posts, read 372,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
I definitely agree that Charlotte (banking) and the Raleigh Durham area (research) will continue to thrive. I also agree with Denver, Austin, Seattle, and Atlanta. I think Vegas and Phoenix will have to grapple with sustainability issues. I also think Minneapolis will be a player.
Glad to see someone mention a northern cold city like Minneapolis. I don't think Minneapolis gets enough attention, but maybe thats why it seems so nice when I visit.

I do think in the next 100 years water and sustainable issues will become more of a problem in the southwest and may effect growth in those markets. Even though a lot of people seem to like warm weather I know many people who would much rather live somewhere that gets cold and has seasons. I think some of the colder cities are in a good position because they have things like infrastructure, educational/research institutes, culture, history, and other things that the new sunbelt cities will find it hard to compete with. This just means I think some of the northern cities will do better than some tend to think. I still believe that cities with warm climates will definately do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 02:37 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
1) Phoenix
2) Atlanta
3) North Carolina (Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham)
4) Las Vegas
5) Orlando
6) Seattle
7) Austin TX
8) Nashville
9) Denver
10) Anaheim / Orange County CA

I definitely agree that Charlotte (banking) and the Raleigh Durham area (research) will continue to thrive. I also agree with Denver, Austin, Seattle, and Atlanta. I think Vegas and Phoenix will have to grapple with sustainability issues. I also think Minneapolis will be a player.
denver grabs it's water from a basin west of the divide with projected issues not so different from those of what las vegas and phoenix will likely see. denver is looking at grabbing water upstream (flaming gorge reservoir, ut) of phoenix and las vegas and piping it on over to the sprawl. they'll likely all have their sustainability issues sooner or later. and they'll likely all have their fights on their hands with other communities and amongst themselves over things like water rights.

Last edited by hello-world; 06-25-2007 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 AM

351 posts, read 1,069,067 times
Old 10
1) New York, NY
2) Los Angeles, CA
3) Chicago, IL
4) Houston, TX
5) Detroit, MI
6) Philadelphia, PA
7) Boston, MA
8) Dallas, TX
9) Atlanta, GA
10) San Francisco, CA

New 10
1) Phoenix, AZ
2) Seattle, WA
3) Las Vegas, NV
4) Denver, CO
5) Austin, TX
6) Charlotte, NC
7) Nashville, TN
8) Raleigh-Durham, NC
9) Minneapolis-St. Pauls, MN
10) Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL

Old 07-02-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Old 10
1) New York, NY
2) Los Angeles, CA
3) Chicago, IL
4) Houston, TX
5) Detroit, MI
6) Philadelphia, PA
7) Boston, MA
8) Dallas, TX
9) Atlanta, GA
10) San Francisco, CA

New 10
1) Phoenix, AZ
2) Seattle, WA
3) Las Vegas, NV
4) Denver, CO
5) Austin, TX
6) Charlotte, NC
7) Nashville, TN
8) Raleigh-Durham, NC
9) Minneapolis-St. Pauls, MN
10) Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL
not sure how las vegas, denver, and phoenix will be able to sustain that kind of prominance. people need water. none of those have much, and will likely have less to tap into in the future.

and for new york, chicago, and some of those others to fall off the list entirely seems a bit dramatic (especially since they all have such a grip on population, resources and proximity to them, and prominance that's just not slipping). chicago (and it's surrounding communities) is a hugely important crossroads and access point to/from the midwest via rail/road/ship. new york and boston have incredibly important ports, as well, as does LA and SF (and houston for that matter). i don't see shipping going away any time very soon (as ships are so cargo dense relative to air and rail, e.g.). unless you're thinking sea level rise and how it might extinguish some of that (i.e., sea level rising above those cities)?

Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
new york and boston have incredibly important ports, as well, as does LA and SF (and houston for that matter).
Last I checked, the big port around here was in Oakland.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
/\ I'm sorry, Houston, Dallas and Atlanta aren't old cities in the way they are described here.You forgot places like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Washington and Baltimore. I also don't see Orlando becoming any force to be reckoned with. Walt Disney wasn't a very good city planner. (And Saint Paul isn't posessive or plural)

Old 07-02-2007, 12:46 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
/\ I'm sorry, Houston, Dallas and Atlanta aren't old cities in the way they are described here.You forgot places like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Washington and Baltimore. I also don't see Orlando becoming any force to be reckoned with. Walt Disney wasn't a very good city planner. (And Saint Paul isn't posessive or plural)
What's old to you?

Old 07-02-2007, 02:19 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
I'm not saying that Houston, Atlanta, Dallas aren't old, but they are not particulary old. All of the cities I listed are much older and were much more important in the 19th Century, which I what I thought the purpose of the thread was. When Atlanta was a only a railroad junction, Cincinnati had upwards of a 100,000 people

Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I'm not saying that Houston, Atlanta, Dallas aren't old, but they are not particulary old. All of the cities I listed are much older and were much more important in the 19th Century, which I what I thought the purpose of the thread was. When Atlanta was a only a railroad junction, Cincinnati had upwards of a 100,000 people
Oh, well that makes perfect sense, but I think what the user meant by "old" is cities that already have international influence and have had so for a while.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Last I checked, the big port around here was in Oakland.
yeah, big port. SF bay - SF, oakland, richmond, etc. big ports (or, SF bay overall - BIG port) for sure. SF's big in and of itself, and is on that list of 10 cities... maybe oakland should be on the one of up-and-comers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.