Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings towards "the suburbs?"
I hate them very much. I hate almost everything about them. 26 16.35%
I don't care for them, but thats just my personality. No biggie. 65 40.88%
I like them. 44 27.67%
I love them, and could never live in a rural/urban area. 10 6.29%
Other. 14 8.81%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
In Europe, a lot of suburbs are considered slums. The suburbs of Paris for example is where all the various Arab and African immigrants are concentrated while the city is more wealthy and homogeneous. America is heading in that direction as well.
Not all of the suburbs of Paris are slums, some are quite nice and quaint and have little town centers with main amenities. To get to them you might have to ride a train through some not so good areas, but middle class suburban living in Europe is not something unheard of. It's just not "the only way" of life for the families like it it in the US, so the population is not segregated by age-group, family status, etc, like it is between US cities and suburbs with families mainly living in suburbs and young adults, 'empty-nesters', gays and the poor occupying the cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
In Europe, a lot of suburbs are considered slums. The suburbs of Paris for example is where all the various Arab and African immigrants are concentrated while the city is more wealthy and homogeneous. America is heading in that direction as well.
That's because Paris and other European cities didn't buy wholesale into the car culture the way the US did. Their prime residential locations are those that are closest to the center of town. The business, commercial, cultural and recreational amenities are much more accessible when you live in the middle of it.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Generally suburbs offers a cleaner, safer environment to those that don't want to live in the city. Not to mention suburbs usually have better schools and better shopping.
Doesn't have to be this way. Wasn't that way in the past, and isn't that way in other industrialized nations.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,787 times
Quote:
An unnatural attempt to capture the qualities of the city with that of the villages and rural communities, which just results in an unholy bastardization. The suburbs, being completely planned and manufactured, are obviously not fit for natural human existence without an aid like a car.
Yeah, because urban settings are nature made. Are you a bunch of keebler elves living in trees?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Yeah, because urban settings are nature made. Are you a bunch of keebler elves living in trees?
People have been living "in the city" or "in the country" for thousands of years. The suburbs, where you need a car to live, are a modern invention.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
People have been living "in the city" or "in the country" for thousands of years. The suburbs, where you need a car to live, are a modern invention.
yeah you don't have access to the farm, AND you don't have access to a grocery store... just residential havens for the most part. Maybe it is a biological reason why I hate them . I feel at ease in the city or the country though.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
What is the general feeling you have about "the suburbs?"

I live in a very affluent suburb and love it. I wouldnt trade living here for the world.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Urban settings have developed since human populations first began to grow, and they were first developed to accommodate humans as opposed to machines.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,787 times
Quote:
Urban settings have developed since human populations first began to grow, and they were first developed to accommodate humans as opposed to machines.
So, no Keebler Elves then?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I live in a very affluent suburb and love it. I wouldnt trade living here for the world.
Fair enough, but more to the question: If you lived in an affluent city neirghborhood would you love it just as much? Why / why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.