Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

an utterly confusing topic for me. when white folks leave its white flight, bad.
when white folks stay or come its gentrification, bad.
i thought white folks were the problem.
they be gone, it should be better. what up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 03:17 PM

378 posts, read 626,368 times
Spokane is better because it's familiar and you can relate to people better. And let's face it, it's because it's your own race living there. Almost all of America used to be the same way, not anymore.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
There is still plenty of diversity in places that are overwhelmingly White. When I say there is still plenty of diversity I mean when it comes to hair color and eye color, the White race has the most range when it comes to this. Where with Nonwhites the overwhelming majority of them have black hair/dark brown hair and dark eyes. There are alot more people with green eyes/blue eyes and or red hair/light brown hair/blonde hair in say Utah than there is in say Detroit.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
In short ... by 2050 the U.S. population will be 50% white/ 50% minorities. The sun-belt states in particular along with major cities and coastal states, whites will be the new minorities, although the interior states such as the food-belt and northern Rockies may see an influx of white-flight towards those states.

I don't know if this answers your questions, though I myself see diversity as a good thing and diversity being the constant, it doesn't guarantee that people of different races will get along simply by a growing diverse population, although the bigger part today is socio-economics more so than race, one trend may be that as some places become a poster for United Colors of Benneton others may become more a poster for Abercrombie and Fitch.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:45 AM

266 posts, read 911,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Couldnt care less. Personally though I believe this whole diversity thing is way overblown. I dont need diversity in the work place or community to be happy. Its something people say they want so they can pat themselves on the back and appear "open minded".
I totally agree with this! I have lived in diverse and non-diverse places, and they have their advantages and disadvantages. I grew up in a very white community and am not a racist. I think being a racist has more to do with your upbringing and the values you have been taught, not who is living next door to you.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:36 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
It's all relative. "Diversity" for one, could be a lack of it for another. For instance, a person that comes from an area where there isn't much pluralism(a better word), but might have a town or city nearby, like say Plattsburgh NY, that has a little bit of different races, could be seen as diverse to that person. Now, if that person is from say Queens, they might not see that community as "diverse", because it is considered the most pluralistic county in the United States.

Another example I use is from my own experience. I went to a HS that was about 2-3% Black, about 3-5% Asian(Eastern and Southern Asian), 1-2% "Hispanic" and 1% Native American(all depending on the year), with the rest being White(usually 90-95%). Now when we would play other schools in our league for sports, we relatively had "diverse" teams in comparison to the other schools that were pretty much White with possibly a sprinkle of "minorities". To the other schools, we were considered "diverse", but to say schools that were in say the city of Syracuse and some of the bigger suburban school districts, we weren't. So, it is relative to the experience of the people involved.

In Spokane, there is probably a section or area of the city that is considered relatively diverse, while the majority of the city isn't in terms of race or ethnicity. So, it depends on the criteria too.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,414 times
I would have to agree that "interacting with different cultures helps lowers ignorance". This is pretty simple logic. Living amonst any group allows you to learn more about them. I've learned how the situation doesn't work and that mix races are unhealthy. I've learned much.

I also agree that it helps raise tolerance to things that I don't like. Are you saying that developing tolerance to things is a good thing? We are created with a level of intolerance for a reason. If you look up the word tolerance you'll find that it related to accepting poison.

Maybe those are the cons. -ptristan66@gmail.com

[quote=WestbankNOLA;6540789]
I think that interacting with different cultures helps lowers ignorance toward them and helps raise tolerance to the things you don't like. It only becomes a problem when they began to segregate and stop interacting. I'm sorry I can't live in an area where a single group makes up 90% of the population.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Diversity is not the "be all and end all to happiness" despite how the media keeps pounding this at the people. I have no problem with it personally, especially living in one of the most diverse cities in the country, but I could be happy in a non diverse place as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Also, I think that people have to keep in mind that I think when people say diversity, they mean the opportunity to interact with or take part in various things. I think people get diversity or even integration confused with a blended society, per se. There is a difference and look up the word itself.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I wouldn't live in an entire area that wasn't diverse. It doesn't matter if my one town isn't that diverse, as long as I live close to an area that is diverse. I grew up in a town like 98% white on Long Island, close to the city border. My family still lived in the city. My mom often had me staying at my grandma's apartment in Chelsea in Manhattan. This was in the late 80s, early 90s; back when NYC was at its worst. I got to experience many things that most kids my age didn't at the time. I saw the homeless all over, crackheads, you name it (and this was one of the nicer neighborhoods of Manhattan). It's good to open kids' eyes to another side of life. So I go to see that side of life as a kid, as well as the white upper-middle class neighborhood of my childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.