Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

For me, economic diversity is more important than racial diversity. I suppose I could live in a town that was close to 100% white if it was that way because of the population of the region, though I would miss having a variety of restaurants. If the town were un-diverse because of discrimination or bigotry, no I would not be happy there.

BTW, I thought the area around Spokane has a large Native American population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
doesn't matter

I love diversity, because people are people. It's good to experience all sorts of other cultures and have a wide group of friends. I went to a public school in Newark with a 60% black, 40% hispanic, and 10% white population, and im white. That got me to where i am now with a black wife with a bi racial daughter. So diversity is VERY important, especially for my daughter.

But i believe you can find a great life no matter what the racial make-up is. Because now, im living in a town with only a 4% black population and my wife and I are accepted just fine. So that just tells you that people are people.. Like dogs are dogs, do you think the dalmation is going to just hang with dalmatians... no he'll hang out with all the breeds of dogs in his neighborhood.

because basically, we're just an animal of different breeds.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 PM

378 posts, read 626,368 times
Americans should definitely have a choice of either living in a state with their own race or a diverse state, move them there free of charge, etc. That would be fair and just. Not everyone wants diversity and multiculturalism. I would say living around your own race is extremely natural and that shouldn't be changed by force.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
I am fine with homogenous places but i am NOT fine with Spokane.

That city is a freakin miserable.

My hometown is like 90% white. I currently live with 6 people from 4 countries.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
I grew up in a town where I, as an English speaker, had an interpreter in my classroom. I was the target or racial hate crimes. My family even had our front door carved up with classy sayings like "get out whites", "unwelcome" and our family cat was killed and taped to our front window. So do I value diversity? No I don't.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:38 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boysandtwins View Post
I grew up in a town where I, as an English speaker, had an interpreter in my classroom. I was the target or racial hate crimes. My family even had our front door carved up with classy sayings like "get out whites", "unwelcome" and our family cat was killed and taped to our front window. So do I value diversity? No I don't.
Just curious why you would select this thread that is over 14 months old to make your first post on C-D?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM

128 posts, read 298,321 times
Some folks have kind of already said this, but it really doesn't seem to make much difference. I lived in a very diverse area and went to a very diverse college, and then moved to a very white area and went to a very white grad school. I didn;t even think about it for the first several months.

No doubt to some white liberals and minorities it will be a big deal. I've seen no evidence that places that are not diverse are any less tolerant than places that are and image that quite often it's the opposite.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:09 AM

18 posts, read 39,862 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Native:

You are exactly correct. I lived in racially diverse cities, like the one i live in now, and it may be racially diverse but it is not racially tolerant. It is still segregated by race and economic backgrounds.

why is racial diversity important but class diversity not important for a healthy place to live?

why is not ideological diversity, political diversity, religious diversity not as important? Because the black caucus and leaders make white liberals so afraid of being called racist that they acquiesce to whatever the blacks say in order to get their vote.

meanwhile, they remain racially segregated but give them diversity as a crumb
I grew up in New Jersey in a white town in the 50s and we all got along with each other. We all supported the Civil Rights Movement in the 60s and 70s. We weren't having any problem with anybody. Now I am in Nightmare Los Angeles, surrounded by racists who think I am the racist. I am so definitely looking for a white town where I can mind my own business without the Race Police monitoring my every move and my every word on account of some people think we are all obsessed about other people. I have had a hard life and need my time, thoughts and energy for survival. If these people really were having a hard time, they wouldn't have the energy to whine as much as they do. Where can I go to live to get away from this phoney "diversity?"

Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 AM

39 posts, read 390,085 times
It just seemed more peaceful when nearly everyone you came in contact with spoke English. I respect people of color but think society would operate better if there was less economic, racial and cultural diversity and people were more alike and everyone spoke English.

Last edited by life time student; 07-11-2012 at 05:38 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I recently visited Spokane Washington. This City has to be one of the Whitest cities in America. I saw very few ethnic minorities in the City or nearby suburbs. I thought the City was nice and very middle class. It reminded me of a place from the "good old days" It had kind of a old fashioned relaxed way about it. Though some would call it dull because there was limited ethnic diversity.
In 1960, 89% of America was White. (9% Black and 2% everything else). When I grew up in the Midwest in the 1950s and 60s I never saw any minorities, everyone was White. While life was not perfect, it seemed like people mixed better with each other back then because more people came from the similar backgrounds.
I now live in a City (Annandale VA) that is more like a United Nations. Our High School has people from over 50 different countries and there is some racial tension. I would not say there is alot of conflict but more isolation than when I grew up. So many people come from different ethnic backgrounds and speak English as their second language so they tend to only socialize with people from their own countries. Though exposure to people of varied backgrounds may have advantages.
I am not talking about liberal thinking or acceptance of gays, or people who chose an alternative lifestyle. I am talking about race (ethnic diversity) only. I think it is possible for a City like Spokane to be tolerant but not diverse but a City like Annandale to be ethically diverse but isolating and rigid.
What is a better type of community to live in, a place like Spokane, WA-- where most people are White, or Annandale VA where we have a United Nations of races and White people like me a now in a minority.??
I just had this type of conversation with my best friend who is black. She is 68 and I am 64 and we have been friends for going on 33 years. Her grandchildren are all mixed mostly black/white perhaps some hispanic not sure. Anyhow, I told her that I don't think I could have ever lived in an area that didn't have a variety of ethnic backgrounds. The diversity is healthy and educational for kids as they grow and mature. I did live for a time in Northern Maine and there were, at that time, NO black people, NO hispanics and certainly no Asian people. I can remember when a tractor trailer truck pulled up to a potato warehouse to pick up a load of bagged spuds and the driver was black, the people there looked at him like he was an alien. At first it was comical to see their expressions then the more I thought about how sheltered these people were the sadder I got. I had been raised my whole life as a child with all races and here they were looking like they had seen E.T. reincarnated! Not sure how many if any different races are living in this area now.
Where I live here in CT, there are people of all races, colors, creeds and I have yet to see a huge issue with it. Now, when I was growing up back in the 50's and 60's there were problems, racial issues really bad. I can recall when there was a 10:00 curfew here in the city, I can recall the Black Panters being a real menace and some people ending up dead. I can also recall when I moved back to this area in the 80's when I first met my best friend that the KKK tried to make an appearance here in the city at city hall. My friend and I went to watch from a distance and saw the whole city ban together black and white and literally chase the KKK back into city hall. There was some rock throwing which I don't condone but more importantly, the city banned together to keep this horrid group at bay. From this point forward, never heard of another attempt at them coming back nor did I ever hear of another race issue. It was violent, yes but the whole structure of what made our city a good place to be had changed forever, it was now a diversified, unified better place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.