Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 AM

322 posts, read 800,860 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,807,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Texas isn't exactly very health-conscious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
You know this how? God, you're unbelievable.
(Note to OP: she has not been to Texas ever before.) You will find just as many gyms and healthfood stores as any other place. Austin is where Lance Armstrong does his training to give you an idea that biking is a popular activity somewhat.
Westerner92, it's people like you that give Texas a bad name. Texas is derived from the Native American word Tejas, which means friend. Texans can be friendly in person, but apparently don't have the tactful or intellectual means to reason with an individual that shares a criticism of their state. Texans' uber-blunt "defense" of their state, be they from Lubbock, the Metroplex, Houston, etc., completely negates the Tejas concept.

This, coming from yours truly, who strongly considered a move to Texas once but is now reluctant because of the rampant rudeness of Texas posters. (If I were to move to Texas, it would be Houston, not rural areas like Lubbock. The friendliest Texans I've met, interestingly enough, have been from Houston!)

Furthermore, Rachael84 was probably just alluding to the fact that Texans are traditionally an unhealthy people. There is a lot of obesity, high rates of smoking and alcohol abuse and not very many healthy food options per capita once you get outside of the largest cities. The world is well aware of the fact that Lance Armstrong and Whole Foods Market both eminated in Austin and that the massive Texas Medical Center is in Houston. Still, if Texans (or Kentuckians, where I live, or people in any other state) don't take their own initiative to stay in shape and realize that it's not government's responsibility to legislate health, then the state won't become more "health-conscious."

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Westerner92, it's people like you that give Texas a bad name. Texas is derived from the Native American word Tejas, which means friend. Texans can be friendly in person, but apparently don't have the tactful or intellectual means to reason with an individual that shares a criticism of their state. Texans' uber-blunt "defense" of their state, be they from Lubbock, the Metroplex, Houston, etc., completely negates the Tejas concept.

This, coming from yours truly, who strongly considered a move to Texas once but is now reluctant because of the rampant rudeness of Texas posters. (If I were to move to Texas, it would be Houston, not rural areas like Lubbock. The friendliest Texans I've met, interestingly enough, have been from Houston!)

Furthermore, Rachael84 was probably just alluding to the fact that Texans are traditionally an unhealthy people. There is a lot of obesity, high rates of smoking and alcohol abuse and not very many healthy food options per capita once you get outside of the largest cities. The world is well aware of the fact that Lance Armstrong and Whole Foods Market both eminated in Austin and that the massive Texas Medical Center is in Houston. Still, if Texans (or Kentuckians, where I live, or people in any other state) don't take their own initiative to stay in shape and realize that it's not government's responsibility to legislate health, then the state won't become more "health-conscious."
Yeah, I was worried about my post coming across like that. My post was as snappy as it was because the poster is notorious for bashing Texas for no reason and she has not been here. There is a differesce between constructive criticism and exaggerated or untrue criticism. Your comment was critical, yet constructive, but Rachael just likes to trash talk. I was rude and I'm sorry to the OP for giving the thread a sour note. Thanks for pointing it out to me
although you could have come across a less rude yourself. (I just had to be honest about that. )
On another note, you might want to look into the Lakewood area of Dallas. It's suburban in nature, but it is still fairly walkable. I believe there are good biking trails around White Rock Lake.

Last edited by Westerner92; 05-20-2009 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.