Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which National Park would you seek refuge from law enforcement?
Yosemite 9 10.84%
Canyonlands 3 3.61%
Great Smokey Mountains 28 33.73%
Everglades 11 13.25%
Yellowstone 7 8.43%
Grand Canyon 3 3.61%
Glacier 3 3.61%
Big Bend 1 1.20%
Death Valley 6 7.23%
Denali 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 PM

70 posts, read 242,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
So the National Park system is shutdown and the parks are empty, right?

So we're just talking about survival here, with comfort thrown in as a possibility.

Easiest place to survive is a swamp. Lots of frogs, turtles, fish etc. Easy to catch. No hypothermia worries in Everglades. Plenty of fire fuel and water. Hard to move around at times, but that would make it more difficult for any searchers. The comfort side of things would suffer from the summer humidity and the mossies, but hey, you're on the run, right?
The NPS is gone as we know it, but people can still visit the parks since there is no one there to stop them. I'm sure people would still go to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 AM

44 posts, read 42,041 times
LOL
Those posts rocks!
XDDDD

Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post

Easiest place to survive is a swamp. Lots of frogs, turtles, fish etc. Easy to catch. No hypothermia worries in Everglades. Plenty of fire fuel and water. Hard to move around at times, but that would make it more difficult for any searchers. The comfort side of things would suffer from the summer humidity and the mossies, but hey, you're on the run, right?
I suspect the "mossies" might be worse than you think. Check this out. http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/18/Fl...wamp_ang.shtml

Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 AM

653 posts, read 3,409,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuneDog View Post
Yeah, they haven't stepped foot on it for a reason. It is one of the harshest environments in the world. You would last more than a week out there. You'd die of thirst and exposure.
I agree-VERY HARSH Environment. I have hiked, biked and dirtbiked there. I have been there in July and measured a GROUND temperature of 182 degrees. It is one area of the country and world that really needs to be RESPECTED. It is indeed a "Deathtrap" for the ill prepared!!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
Some people seem to have chosen the refuge according to their preferences in beauty and nature, but we are not going on vacation! We're running from the police!

SO I have based my choice in how much I could hide from law enforcement. The Smoky Mountains should be good for this: lots of forest, possibility of finding food in nature and nearby small towns to go to the local diner, interstates to go and hijack a car... despite being the most visited park, I think it would offer the best for an outlaw.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Definitley not Smoky Mountains! Its the most visited!
But you'd be just another face in the crowd. The Smokies would be my pick too -- lots of hollers to hide in, and probably plenty of empathetic fugitives that would take me in!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I chose Death Valley - maybe I'm a little disturbed??? I just think that nobody in their right mind would even WANT to go out there looking for me!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
At the rate we're going, Glacier National Park will be Lake Alaska and
you'll have to know how to scuba dive!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:32 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
true...the smokey mountains would be one of the easier ones as far as gathering food and hiding (unless you cant get away from the crowds). Personally...I am put off by how crowded it is. I'm thinking I must be a pretty bad criminal if I am on the run (and high profile and reconginzable)....and I am girl so I can't grow a beard either. But there are some plusses to being close to civilation.

Also...there are more black bears in Smokey Mountains (for its size) than anywhere else in the country! I know people say they are not that dangerous....but...

I think I will still take my chances in the remote part of Grand Canyon! The only drawback I see to that -- is its a little harder to get food (but there is the colorado river right there and lake mead) but it would be harder to find cover if they do aerial searches!

Everglades = alligators = no thanks.

So....are we allowed to be armed? that would help! Id be less scared of bears and mountain lions then.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:03 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
true...the smokey mountains would be one of the easier ones as far as gathering food and hiding (unless you cant get away from the crowds). Personally...I am put off by how crowded it is. I'm thinking I must be a pretty bad criminal if I am on the run (and high profile and reconginzable)....and I am girl so I can't grow a beard either. But there are some plusses to being close to civilation.

Also...there are more black bears in Smokey Mountains (for its size) than anywhere else in the country! I know people say they are not that dangerous....but...

I think I will still take my chances in the remote part of Grand Canyon! The only drawback I see to that -- is its a little harder to get food (but there is the colorado river right there and lake mead) but it would be harder to find cover if they do aerial searches!

Everglades = alligators = no thanks.

So....are we allowed to be armed? that would help! Id be less scared of bears and mountain lions then.
There would be some food sources in the depths of the Grand Canyon. On one of my 3 day treks there, about 5 years ago, I even came across some Peach Trees. I'm not kidding. Also small animals, birds and certain vegatation to consume. Even in Death Valley there is a suprising amount of life-both plant and animal. Even a lake with fish (though I personally have not seen that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.