Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM

33 posts, read 44,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
AGAIN, based on what? The Southern dialect doesn't cover most of the state. Economically, the state's economy overall resembles that of the Midwest. The only parts of Missouri that are conservative are the smaller cities and rural parts, which is fairly typical of any state. Being baptist means little either. If you'd do a check (catholic population by county) you'd notice that rural Missouri does have an exceptionally high number of Catholics for a "southern" state. there are more baptists, but Missouri isn't the only state outside of the south in the bible belt...it covers a good portion of Kansas, Illinois, and Indiana. The Northern half of Missouri is not southern at all. It reminds me very much of Iowa and Illinois. 25% of Southern Missouri still retains influences from St. Louis and Kansas City, both of which are considered Midwestern and are in every shape and form. The lower 25% gets its influences from Cape and Springfield. I'm not interested in having this discussion any longer, as you clearly seem to have it all figured out already.
There were 6 blue counties in Missouri in the 2008 election out of 114. And 3 were from St.Louid. Again, St.Louis doesnt represent Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
What's bogus about it? Prove me wrong. You won't be able to. I guarantee you everything said there is 100% accurate because I don't discuss areas I know nothing about.
Well, You are now Scooter.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 PM

543 posts, read 855,046 times
Quote:
AGAIN, based on what? The Southern dialect doesn't cover most of the state. Economically, the state's economy overall resembles that of the Midwest. The only parts of Missouri that are conservative are the smaller cities and rural parts, which is fairly typical of any state. Being baptist means little either. If you'd do a check (catholic population by county) you'd notice that rural Missouri does have an exceptionally high number of Catholics for a "southern" state. there are more baptists, but Missouri isn't the only state outside of the south in the bible belt...it covers a good portion of Kansas, Illinois, and Indiana. The Northern half of Missouri is not southern at all. It reminds me very much of Iowa and Illinois. 25% of Southern Missouri still retains influences from St. Louis and Kansas City, both of which are considered Midwestern and are in every shape and form. The lower 25% gets its influences from Cape and Springfield. I'm not interested in having this discussion any longer, as you clearly seem to have it all figured out already.
The rural parts of MO are protestant except for some of the MS river communities like Ste Gen, Perry county, and parts of northern cape the MS Hills region, and a few pockets around JEff City. The Ozarks are heavily protestant as northern MO is too.

Also Most areas of MO are conservative except for KC, Stl, and around Jeff City, Columbia metro area.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBaptist View Post
Ya ever been to Chillecothe ? North central Missouri. Go 2 miles outside town and theres the Biggest confederate flag you will ever see. In the Platte couty state fair, its all about southern pride. I dont know where your wacko ideas come from, but your dead wrong bud.
A Confederate flag...wow. There's a big Confederate memorial up near Chicago with a flag probably just as large. Plenty of ones probably around Gettysburg, etc. Platte County has memorials dedicated to both the Union and the Confederacy. It's not a surprise Platte County would acknowledge its historical roots. However, they certainly have little meaning today. I've been there thousands of times...if it's southern, I guess so is St. Louis, and i know for a fact that's not.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Well, You are now Scooter.
And you still can't back up your claims. I stand by every word I typed.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
There were 6 blue counties in Missouri in the 2008 election out of 114. And 3 were from St.Louid. Again, St.Louis doesnt represent Missouri.
Its like that most elections. over 100 counties always vote Republican ticket at the national level.

It will be interesting this election in the Democrat areas of St. Louis county. Based on the healthcare vote last Nov and over 60 percent of stl county against Obamacare I think those numbers might be changing.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
The rural parts of MO are protestant except for some of the MS river communities like Ste Gen, Perry county, and parts of northern cape the MS Hills region, and a few pockets around JEff City. The Ozarks are heavily protestant as northern MO is too.

Also Most areas of MO are conservative except for KC, Stl, and around Jeff City, Columbia metro area.
That's essentially what I said. And again, it's not too atypical for the Midwest, or for the country for that matter. The parts around Kansas City i'm pretty sure aren't protestant...I'd be willing to bet they are Catholic. Also, protestant doesn't necessarily equal baptist. Go to indiana...tons of protestants there. However, a good portion of rural Missouri is baptist. but that's merely just it..baptist. You can't go and label somebody as belonging to a geographic region based on their religious beliefs.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
That's essentially what I said. And again, it's not too atypical for the Midwest, or for the country for that matter. The parts around Kansas City i'm pretty sure aren't protestant...I'd be willing to bet they are Catholic. Also, protestant doesn't necessarily equal baptist. Go to indiana...tons of protestants there. However, a good portion of rural Missouri is baptist. but that's merely just it..baptist. You can't go and label somebody as belonging to a geographic region based on their religious beliefs.
First off, North of the River KC is very baptist. Second. Who says you cant lable by religion. When you guys say lable by corn. Ill give you St.Louis as midwest. But not Missouri.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
KC is, but imediatly outside of KC is protestant, unlike Stl where you have to go further out.

Also Im referring to Methodist as well too. Protestants outnumber catholics in the state. Lumping in Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian together.

Indiana has nowhere near the protestants as Missouri has.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
First off, North of the River KC is very baptist. Second. Who says you cant lable by religion. When you guys say lable by corn. Ill give you St.Louis as midwest. But not Missouri.
that is true when you get out of KC protestant dominates unlike in St. Louis where you have to go further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.