Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
OY,

I think DC & NY are neck in neck. DC has so many different museums that one can indulge in but NYC's museums are so high profile and interconnected with their high society. DC's museums are a major tourist attraction and a museum lovers playground. NYC's museums like the Met are a socialites dream.
Well, it's actually the NYC museums without a high profile that I was trumpeting (which is why I used the LES Tenement Museum as an example since I feel few people outside of NYC, or even in NYC, have heard of it). The Met, the Whitney, the Guggenheim, the MOMA, and the Museum of Natural History are top-rated and high profile and these are the ones to which visitors are compelled to go. And while the Met gold plate dinner might be a socialite's dream, you do definitely see a lot more tourists than you see socialites in the museum itself.

I like the big museums just fine, but the ones I'm really enamored with are the lower-profile ones that are, in their own little way, world-class and engaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,282,740 times
Cleveland has a plethra of museums for its size...not saying it's in the top three or five, but it definitely can hold it's own for any city close in population:

Cleveland Museum of Art
Cleveland Natural History Museum
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
"A Christmas Story" House and Museum
Great Lakes Science Center
Western Reserve Historical Society Museum
NASA Glenn Research Center
International Women's Air and Space Museum
Dittrick Muesum of Medical History
Cleveland's Children's Musuem
Cleveland Museum of Contemporary Art
Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage
Ukrainian Heritage Museum
Hungarian Heritage Musuem
Cleveland Culural Gardens and Rockefeller Park
and about 20 others listed

Nearby:

Pro Football HOF (Canton OH)

Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Yea, a more interesting poll would be which cities have better cultural amenities than you would expect from its national profile and population size. That would be a very long topic title. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are definitely in on this.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
In my opinion, the TOP 2 are easily NYC and DC, after that it is debatable. Chicago would be 3rd IMO.
I would agree.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:14 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Here's a picture of the Museum of Fine Art in Boston:

And here's what it is going to look like after its expansion is completed: Thanks to ArchBoston.com for the pics.

And the next expansion which is in the works:

Not too shabby!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, it's actually the NYC museums without a high profile that I was trumpeting (which is why I used the LES Tenement Museum as an example since I feel few people outside of NYC, or even in NYC, have heard of it). The Met, the Whitney, the Guggenheim, the MOMA, and the Museum of Natural History are top-rated and high profile and these are the ones to which visitors are compelled to go. And while the Met gold plate dinner might be a socialite's dream, you do definitely see a lot more tourists than you see socialites in the museum itself.

I like the big museums just fine, but the ones I'm really enamored with are the lower-profile ones that are, in their own little way, world-class and engaging.
I'm not really an outside observer, as I work in the field, but I'd like to think that the LES Tenement Museum enjoys a reputation far beyond that of NYC. It should, anyway!

You don't see the socialites at most museums during the daytime hours (when the tourists are there) because they pay big money to visit during special exclusive events - private tours with the curator, exhibit openings, etc. (and if you, too, want to be treated like a VIP but only have limited funds, give that money to a mid-size museum; big enough to have higher donor events, small enough where your donation of $1,000 makes you a big player)

I prefer the lower-profile places myself, too, although of course the big famous places are pretty wonderful, too.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,022 times
I just came back from Boston's MFA and it is amazing, better than Art Institue of Chicago in my opinion, and it is going through a major expansion. The only drawback is it is too expensive. 17$ for general admission, the most expensive museum I've been to. But you can go on Wednesday evenings from 4:00--9:45 and it is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
^^ Wow, I had no idea Boston's MFA would rank so high! DC and NYC dominate that list though...it's impressive that those two compose 5 of the top 10 art museums in the country.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Surprising as it may sound Ft. Worth has great museums and a beautiful opera house. Cowtown is such an odd mixed bag.

Fort Worth has the Amen Carter Museum.

Tulsa also has the Philbrook and Gilcrease museums; both of with are top rated.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:12 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,983 times
DC. Because they're all free.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,578,127 times
Default America Best Museums And Best Up And Coming Museums

Washington D.C. hands down....Sorry NYC you're the 1st runner up...
Chicago , Boston , Los Angeles , San Francisco , Philladephia , etc. are Great , but I just can't get the order of ranking down....(but) get a load of this..A city That Will Never Cross Your "Mind" as far as great Museums...Tulsa Oklahoma.." Philbrook "Ranked in the top 65 American Museums and a World Class Museum and Gilcrease which has the "Largest" collection of "western art in the world..The Sherwin Miller Museum of Jewish Art..a reginal best in Jewish Art Museum..l////...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.