Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_kid86 View Post
I'm sorry, did you just say "Indianans?" Have you ever really been to Indiana? I've lived here all my life and never heard anyone use that term before. We're Hoosiers. Get it straight.

The reason it's called Kentuckiana is because of the broadcasting from Louisville. Very few in the area use the term except for the media.
I use Indianan all the time, I certainly do not consider my self a "hoosier."

Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 09-30-2009 at 06:02 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_kid86 View Post
I'm sorry, did you just say "Indianans?" Have you ever really been to Indiana? I've lived here all my life and never heard anyone use that term before. We're Hoosiers. Get it straight.

The reason it's called Kentuckiana is because of the broadcasting from Louisville. Very few in the area use the term except for the media.
It's the same thing in Southwest Michigan with "Michiana." We get media from South Bend and hear the term all the time, but I've never heard anyone from the Michigan side actually use that term themselves.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I use Indianan all the time, I certainly do not consider my self a "hoosier."

As far as jacob; he is a known provider of bad information. Ignore him.
Aren't you originally from Michigan?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Aren't you originally from Michigan?
Good call. I was born in Michigan, and have hoards of family throughout the state. Perhaps this is why I refute being called a Hoosier

Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Good call. I was born in Michigan, and have hoards of family throughout the state. Perhaps this is why I refute being called a Hoosier
I knew it. No Michigander can ever call themselves a Hoosier.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 11,902 times
I think the great lakes region is beautiful! I am originally from the great lakes region. But I moved south. Why, because the "dirty industry" based midwest mentality has ruined so much of the natural beauty of the great lakes. Lake Michigan, especially, is surrounded by dirty "rust belt" industry and the great lakes are so polluted that you just don't feel safe swimming in them. Here in North Carolina I can take my kids to a secluded north carolina beech and NEVER worry about pollution. We don't have to check for water quality conditions every time we want to go swimming like we had to do in Milwaukee Wisconsin. I recently visited Superior Wisconsin a small town in northern Wisconsin and the whole shoreline was dotted with old abandoned rust belt factories. YUCK! For God Sake clean up your cities! The fact is that us northerners have ruined one of the most beautiful places in the USA. And did I mention that the people in the south are friendlier and have better manners. We have lived in the south for fifteen years and when we go back to visit our relatives in northern IL and southern WI we are always taken aback by how standoffish and unhelpful people are in the midwest. When I walk into a Home Depot for example in the south and ask where I can find a certain item the store employee will walk me to where the product is and then ask me how I am doing today...and he/she will have a smile of his face. The people at the counter in the south will greet me with a smile and even strike up small talk with me. Not so up north. Up north nine times out of ten the grumpy employee will just point to the side of the store where the item is or just say Isle number five sir. Sure there are a small minority of northerners who are helpful and outwardly friendly but ya gotta look hard to find them. I am not saying midwesterners are not "nice people" once you get to know them but midwesterners and northerners just don't go out of there way to be friendly to strangers the way people do in the south. So please don't use the mountains or the ocean as an excuse as to why people are moving out of the midwest by the ten of thousands. Take responsibility for your gloomy outward personalities. Be more friendly and helpful to strangers. Let people in to your lane when they are attempting to change lanes instead of going out of your way to not let them over. Smile more often In the south we have a saying "the biggest difference between northerners and southerners is that southerners waive with all five fingers". The gloomy midwesterner jokes and skits that Garrison Keillor has fun with on prairie home companion where born from real observations from himself and people from other parts of the country who have visited or live in the gloomy midwest. Sorry, but as a midwesterner who now lives in the south I can tell you that those gloomy midwesterner personality stereotypes are not stereotypes they are true. Maybe it's just the lack of sunshine that makes yawl so grumpy but whatever the reason, if you folks don't learn the art of having a happy outward personality you will continue to been seen by the rest of the country as the "gloomy people of the midwest".

Old 09-30-2009, 09:23 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:
"The Midwest is behind on progressive thinking." Really? Um, no, at least not in all of the Midwest. I grew up in Minneapolis, and am proud of our progressive roots. The same can be said of many other ares of the Upper Midwest.
Hey, now. I live in the Upper Midwest, and pride myself on a LACK of "progressive roots."

That guy was trying to compliment us and you ruined it.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:32 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
I believe the midwest is a great region of our country and I much rather live in the midwest than the south anyday.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I believe the midwest is a great region of our country and I much rather live in the midwest than the south anyday.
I don't notice the Midwest getting a bum rap...I've had good experiences there. As we can see in the above post, the South gets a worse rap IMO. But any bad rap is usually from people who don't really know much, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,292 times
I have lived across the US and was born in the Midwest. Though the perception is that the Midwest is boring, that is not actually an accurate statement. Boring in our country is everywhere.

What defines boring? The dictionary defines the word "boring" as dull; repetitious; uninteresting. Our culture has adopted a lifestyle of mediocrity -- millions of people live uninteresting, repetitive lives with little or no exploration, adventure or expansion. It is common to see people everywhere completely unaware of the world around them, unconscious about inner growth and apathetic towards making change for improvements.

It's a sad state of affairs that are obvious. For example, just turn a TV and look at the listings. You'll see the lifeless, unimaginative reality shows, sitcoms and commercials that our culture is addicted to watching. Head to any public place and you'll witness people looking down at the ground, passing each other without even an acknowledgment. I could go on....

So, is the Midwest boring? Every place in our country has something unique, profound, beautiful, magical, exciting, and more if we open our eyes, clear our heads of old cobwebs keeping us stuck in repetitive lifestyles, and if we become consciously aware of the world around us.

It is not our places that are boring but the people living a bored life that contribute to the misconceived perceptions of small towns, suburbs, big cities, regions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.