Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I haven't spent much time there. I've generally avoided it because it is far from the ocean, mostly flat, and very cold for a good portion of the year. I don't perceive it as having any cultural "flair" that's significantly different from what I could experience here - compared to the west coast, Europe, Australia, etc.

Right, if being cold from December to March is a "good portion of the year" then I guess you are correct.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have read a LOT of stupid things on this forum, but this post ranks near the top without question.

People from INDIANA have southern accents. My best friend's mom is from MErriville, IN and his dad is from Gary of all places, and they both still have souther twang in their voices. My cousin just moved 20 minutes north of Indianapolis, and he's got a southern twang. So yes, People from Indiana have SOUTHERN dialects, accents, whatever. It's apparent.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you are Indianapolis, you don't hear words such as "y'all" or "reckon" and you don't hear people saying "l i b m r ducks." I've lived in Kentucky, I've lived along the Indiana/KY border, to think Indianapolis has a southern accent is to expose complete ignorance on the subject you are talking about.

Complete Ignorance? How about real live first hand knowledge and experience. I have met handfuls of people from Indiana and near Indianapolis, and they ALL have had southern twang in their accent. This is coming from an outsider from Minnesota. Yes, people in Indianpolis have a southern twang to them. It's true. Probably like I feel like I dont have an accent, but come to the Twin Cities and I bet you can point it out.

Sorry Toxic Toast, but don't call people ignorant for having their opinions, and to my Minnesotan ears, when I hear Indiana people talk, I hear banjos and ya'll.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
The Western U.P. is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Detroit, and culturally they're more tied to WI/MN than us in the Lower Penninsula.
Yeah, I'm temporarily living in Duluth, MN, and it still boggles my mind that I can drive to Michigan in less than an hour!

I love visiting my friend at NMU in Marquette, who is just a 4 hr drive away... Used to be a 7 hour drive from the Twin Cities.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM

I dont know, money-wise I dont see why you WOULDNT live in the Midwest. I know too many D bags that live in Mom's basement or are 28 renting a crap house with 7 other guys that drive 2001 Beemers and work full time just so they can have a palm tree in their backyard, or go sit on a beach in March.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:22 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,650 times
Greasy Buttafuocos eating 1950s-era diner food ('uhh... what's a vegetable, mac?') in the Mid-Atlantic and greasy lamers in Mom's basement in some blue-collar suburb of Bakersfield/Fresno/San Jose, CA saw it on _Dumb and Dumberer_.

More of the Rust Belt exists on the East Coast than in the Midwest (whatever is meant by "Midwest," anyway - it tends to vary by the person using it). Also, I am bored and appalled by the lack of fashionable people (and salads available at restaurants) in the suburbs of Washington, DC. I miss being able to ride my bike places, like I could in Columbia, Missouri and certain close-in neighborhoods of Kansas City. Get me out of this hellhole, now!!!!11

Ok, I'm done.... For now. Muahahahaha!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,186,222 times
Q: Why does the Midwest get such a bum rap?
A: Because it's the Midwest.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:16 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Q: Why does the Midwest get such a bum rap?
A: Because it's the Midwest.
Thank God a lot of people have this misguided view!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
It should be pretty simple right?

The major cities of the Midwest went through a pretty big fall when heavy manufacturing went down and it's hard for a place to be attractive through such, the weather is fairly extreme compared to the rest of the contiguous US because of its latitude and lack of physical features (mountains, oceans) to serve as a buffer, the cities were built with much higher densities than the cities have now as their heydays were before the advent of affordable and convenient suburban tracts, and mass media production is for the most part non-existent so there isn't much pull for people outside of the Midwest to desire or even be particularly aware of the amenities and interesting idiosyncrasies of the area which goes hand in hand with attracting new amenities. Not all of these are exclusive to the Midwest, but the combination is. I do like the Midwest a lot though, and it's unfortunate for the area that perception is a lot of hyperbole.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,032,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
to my Minnesotan ears, when I hear Indiana people talk, I hear banjos and ya'll
So you've extrapolated your scientific analysis of three people to the entire state and concluded that everyone talks like that? Please.

I am also originally from Michigan--the Lansing area--and have lived in this state for five years. People here in Fort Wayne, and Indianapolis in general, don't sound terribly different from what I was used to growing up.

Some people, especially in the lower third of the state, do have a different way of speaking, but even that doesn't apply to the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.