Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 09:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
I just relocated to TX last year from PA and agree with all the things you listed. I am located in the Dallas area and what you said about Houston area can apply to the Dallas area. The racism from all races of people shocked me too. Everyone here only dates and socializes with their own race. I've had the worst experiences with Chinese, Indians and native Texan Whites. I've been here since April 2018 and have 0 friends and no women have expressed an interest in dating me.

Other things that shocked me about the Dallas area

-Horrible traffic at all hours of the day, aggressive driving and road rage.
-Overcrowded
-Racially segregated neighborhoods (my apartment bldg in Richardson, TX is all Muslims (I moved there because the rent was lower than other places and it was my first apartment in TX) while 2 other apartment buildings next to mine are all Whites in one of the buildings and all Chinese people in the other one.
-Excessively large population of Indians and Chinese, especially in Collin County.
-High rents for apartments (It used to be affordable 8+ years ago).
-Police everywhere
-Extremely socially conservative and family oriented.
Why does the large population of Indians and Chinese in Collin County bother you? Why does it bother you if Muslims are the dominant group in your apartment building?

Do you have a problem with mildew in your vents? I ask because I live near Dallas and have for 25 years and not only have I never had a problem with mildew in my vents, I've never known anyone else to either. So this is a really interesting issue to me - and a foreign one at that.

Why do high rents in a major metro area surprise you?

Just a few sincere questions from a non native of this area.

I do agree though - there are many differences between PA and TX. I have spent a lot of time in PA, as well as WV, OH, MD, and all around PA. I listed a few surprises a coupla posts up - the main one being the amazing abundance of pepperoni! And ramps - I really don't get the whole ramps thing either. I think PA has some cool elements to it but basically it falls into the category of lots of other areas of the US - I'm thrilled that other people want to live there so I don't have to - but I can go there occasionally to scope out the sights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 10:02 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The highest point in Wisconsin is Timm's Hill, which is 1951 feet.
Looking it up, Timm's hill has only a 425 foot prominence. Have to have a 2,000 foot prominence to officially be a "mountain" OR you have to have hills that the geologists say are a gazillion years old and have worn down.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:10 PM

407 posts, read 342,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why does the large population of Indians and Chinese in Collin County bother you? Why does it bother you if Muslims are the dominant group in your apartment building?

Do you have a problem with mildew in your vents? I ask because I live near Dallas and have for 25 years and not only have I never had a problem with mildew in my vents, I've never known anyone else to either. So this is a really interesting issue to me - and a foreign one at that.

Why do high rents in a major metro area surprise you?

Just a few sincere questions from a non native of this area.

I do agree though - there are many differences between PA and TX. I have spent a lot of time in PA, as well as WV, OH, MD, and all around PA. I listed a few surprises a coupla posts up - the main one being the amazing abundance of pepperoni! And ramps - I really don't get the whole ramps thing either. I think PA has some cool elements to it but basically it falls into the category of lots of other areas of the US - I'm thrilled that other people want to live there so I don't have to - but I can go there occasionally to scope out the sights!
I have a problem with Chinese and Indians because they are racist toward other minorities. Also, these 2 groups are extremely wealthy, taking over everything and driving up the cost of living. I don't like living around all Muslims because I am not that religion and they live here like they are in Bangladesh.

I am not happy about the high rents especially since it is supposed to be less expensive here in the South. It needs to be more affordable for the middle/working class. I am just starting out in my career and struggling to make ends meet. My landlord just raised my rent for my tiny studio apartment to almost $700.00/mo.

I have no problems with mildew.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I have a problem with Chinese and Indians because they are racist toward other minorities. Also, these 2 groups are extremely wealthy, taking over everything and driving up the cost of living. I don't like living around all Muslims because I am not that religion and they live here like they are in Bangladesh.

I am not happy about the high rents especially since it is supposed to be less expensive here in the South. It needs to be more affordable for the middle/working class. I am just starting out in my career and struggling to make ends meet. My landlord just raised my rent for my tiny studio apartment to almost $700.00/mo.

I have no problems with mildew.
Thanks for the response.

Things would probably be a lot different for you if you didn't live in a huge metro area with a lot of international transplants. Texans in general do not tend to be racist but I can't say the same for enclaves populated with immigrants ANYWHERE. But I've never lived in an area like that so I can't say - frankly it doesn't sound appealing to me. I mean, I want to live in the US, not Bangladesh, ya know?

I do like going to KoMart and the Korean area of Dallas though, off of Harry Hines Blvd. I think it's really interesting.

Your rent sounds typical of Dallas rents by the way. Rent in Dallas is rent in a major metro area - it's simply not going to be cheap. My two youngest sons live in Austin and if you think Dallas rent is high, you ought to go there - WOW.

Costs of living in any major metro area are going to be considerably higher than in smaller metro areas anywhere.

Good luck.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 PM

407 posts, read 342,655 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Things would probably be a lot different for you if you didn't live in a huge metro area with a lot of international transplants. Texans in general do not tend to be racist but I can't say the same for enclaves populated with immigrants ANYWHERE. But I've never lived in an area like that so I can't say - frankly it doesn't sound appealing to me. I mean, I want to live in the US, not Bangladesh, ya know?

I do like going to KoMart and the Korean area of Dallas though, off of Harry Hines Blvd. I think it's really interesting.

Your rent sounds typical of Dallas rents by the way. Rent in Dallas is rent in a major metro area - it's simply not going to be cheap. My two youngest sons live in Austin and if you think Dallas rent is high, you ought to go there - WOW.

Costs of living in any major metro area are going to be considerably higher than in smaller metro areas anywhere.

Good luck.

Thank you. I've seriously considered moving to Austin but the rents are even higher there like you stated. I've heard that the traffic is real bad there too.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I've seriously considered moving to Austin but the rents are even higher there like you stated. I've heard that the traffic is real bad there too.
Austin traffic is THE WORST. And yes, rents are high there.

Austin wasn't planned out well in my opinion - it has outgrown it's infrastructure. It's changed a whole lot in the past ten years too.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:01 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
When I first traveled through Iowa on I-80, I was shocked at how not flat much of that state is.

Also how there's mountains in Wisconsin.
You have to drive I-35 north of Des Moines to see the flat Iowa.

About 40-45% the state is really flat, but the southern third, everything along the east (especially the Driftless Area - which is almost mountainous in spots), and the Loess Hills are anything but.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Looking it up, Timm's hill has only a 425 foot prominence. Have to have a 2,000 foot prominence to officially be a "mountain" OR you have to have hills that the geologists say are a gazillion years old and have worn down.
There's an area of Wisconsin referred to as the Ocooch Mountains, as well as the Baraboo Range. Neither are real mountains, but they kinda look like it.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Quote:
Austin traffic is THE WORST. And yes, rents are high there.

Austin wasn't planned out well in my opinion - it has outgrown it's infrastructure. It's changed a whole lot in the past ten years too.
Austin traffic seems bad not because of how the city was designed but because of the huge population increase in the last decade. Same could be said for other southern cities that experienced huge population increases like Atlanta, Nashville, Orlando, and Raleigh. A lot of people moved to these cities for more job opportunities and a lower cost of living. Which in most cases are not even the case anymore. We were looking at moving back down south (originally from Atlanta) and the home/rent prices are astronomical now. Especially compared to the average wages.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:06 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Driving from Casper, Wyoming, to the eastern entrance of Yellowstone, we were startled at how empty it was. At one point, we realized that we had driven something like a half hour without seeing a single car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.