Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Sorry...missouri is not "midwestern through and through" its just not. thats not a bad thing....its just not.

Missouri will always be more of a southern state than a midwest state because of its history dating back to the civil war.
Kansas was admitted into the union as a "free state"
Missouri was NOT

Old 04-29-2007, 10:49 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Sorry...missouri is not "midwestern through and through" its just not. thats not a bad thing....its just not.
It's only not midwestern around Cape Gireardeau and those areas basically practically into Arkansas. Somebody from Northeastern Illinois...everybody thinks Missouri is southern from where you are. St. Louis and Kansas City are not Southern cities at all...they are Midwestern through-and-through. There are no Southern accents or culture in missouri except for the extreme southernmost portions of the state. We are every bit as Midwestern as downstate Illinois. I'm not gonna be lectured by some out-of-stater about what Missouri is and isn't. We are not like Kentucky at all, and no more Southern than Kansas. Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:53 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Arguable, but if you live in St. Louis or anywhere north of there, it's the Midwest. Ask just about any Missourian in these parts of Missouri and they will tell you it is Midwestern. I'm one of 'em. A Missourian is the best person to ask when you want to know what Missouri is. It ain't southern except around Cape Gireardeau and south of there. The Southern culture in Missouri is basically when you are into Arkansas. Rest is Midwestern or not southern.
Well, according to your opinion, that may be so, but the fact remains that the entire state is sometimes listed as being in the South. They do the same thing to my state. But it doesn't matter anyway because I don't think Missouri is southern either.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Missouri will always be more of a southern state than a midwest state because of its history dating back to the civil war.
Kansas was admitted into the union as a "free state"
Missouri was NOT
Missouri's history has nothing to do with what it is today. And **** that...Missouri being a slave state...we didn't secede...we voted for Douglas during the election...something no Southern state did, voted overwhelmingly against secession, and freed our slaves before the war ended. Our history was that of a border state, not a Southern state that was more Southern than Midwestern. Post-civil war missouri has nothing to do with antebellum Missouri...I'd like you to come in and say we are more like Arkansas than Iowa or Illinois. ROFL. Get a clue. After the Civil War Missouri became Midwestern. Live with it. A slave state does not make it a Southern state. Why don't you tell Delaware and Maryland or West Virginia that they are all part of the South and more southern than northern because they allowed slavery. Missouri's economy never depended on slavery. Slavery was not allowed above the Missouri Compromise line which made up basically 5% of the state.

Last edited by ajf131; 04-29-2007 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well, according to your opinion, that may be so, but the fact remains that the entire state is sometimes listed as being in the South. They do the same thing to my state. But it doesn't matter anyway because I don't think Missouri is southern either.
Yes they do list us in the South occasionally...I can't deny that. But they much more often list in the Midwest...and as you have so insightfully concluded....most people these do not consider Missouri Southern. those that do are behind on the times IMO at least. I have been to every Southern state and every Midwestern state and the South feels much more foreign to me than the midwest in every way (dialect, climate, landscape, politics, culture, architecture, and the list goes on.) If we cannot be considered Midwestern, we have to be considered a border state because no true Southern culture exists throughout most of the state.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Which state are you from? out of curiousity. Kentucky? West Virginia?

Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Here's what i call the south
TN, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA

If it were going by accent then
same as above including parts of NC & VA, KY them boys have a big time accent, southern IL from carbondale south, southeast MO, AR
Correct! You hit it right on the nail!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:12 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Post What traits do you define as Midwest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Missouri's history has nothing to do with what it is today. And **** that...Missouri being a slave state...we didn't secede...we voted for Douglas during the election...something no Southern state did, voted overwhelmingly against secession, and freed our slaves before the war ended. Our history was that of a border state, not a Southern state that was more Southern than Midwestern. Post-civil war missouri has nothing to do with antebellum Missouri...I'd like you to come in and say we are more like Arkansas than Iowa or Illinois. ROFL. Get a clue. After the Civil War Missouri became Midwestern. Live with it. A slave state does not make it a Southern state. Why don't you tell Delaware and Maryland or West Virginia that they are all part of the South and more southern than Midwestern because they allowed slavery. Missouri's economy never depended on slavery. Slavery was not allowed above the Missouri Compromise line which made up basically 5% of the state.
I agree with most of what you are saying but Missouri still lacks many of the characteristics that make it a Midwest state. Missouri has a lot of acerage in forest and a lot of hilly terrain in the central and southern portions of the state. Also, Missouri is not generally considered part of the corn and soybean belt either, unless you include the far northern portions of the state. The overall climate of Missouri is also much warmer than any of the states that are considered to be in the Midwest region. Also, their are many people living in rural areas in Missouri, which compares favorably to other southern states. In the Midwest and Plains the majority of the rural counties have declining populations, as more people seek job opportunities in larger urban areas. I have been to Missouri many times and still find the majority of the people in central and southern Missouri have more much more in common with the South than with the Midwest. I guess we will have differing opinions regarding Missouri.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I would say that most areas south of the KC Metro and STL Metro are predominantly southern in flavor and culture. The only thing that may be changing this southern flavor would be the influx of newcomers moving into the Lake of the Ozarks area. Your assumptions are generally right. The only areas in Missouri that I consider to be in the Midwest would be the far northern parts of the state that are close to the Iowa border. Kansas City is at the epicenter of several different regions including the Midwest, Plains, and South.
So St. Louis is Southern? LOL. You don't know what you're talking about. My father is from Joplin, Missouri and he never identified with the South...no accent, anything. Missouri is mostly Midwestern. It doesn't become Southern until you get to around Springfield. You see no Southern dialect or sweet tea until you are almost out of the state. Dixie Missouri is not for the most part, sorry. When somebody can convince me that Sikeston, Missouri is just like all of Southern Missouri then I will admit missouri is southern. Until then, nope...it's mostly Midwestern. Even Cape Gireardeau is half-midwestern, half-southern. the south is much less dominant in Missouri than people make it out to be.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I agree with most of what you are saying but Missouri still lacks many of the characteristics that make it a Midwest state. Missouri has a lot of acerage in forest and a lot of hilly terrain in the central and southern portions of the state. Also, Missouri is not generally considered part of the corn and soybean belt either, unless you include the far northern portions of the state. The overall climate of Missouri is also much warmer than any of the states that are considered to be in the Midwest region. Also, their are many people living in rural areas in Missouri, which compares favorably to other southern states. In the Midwest and Plains the majority of the rural counties have declining populations, as more people seek job opportunities in larger urban areas. I have been to Missouri many times and still find the majority of the people in central and southern Missouri have more much more in common with the South than with the Midwest. I guess we will have differing opinions regarding Missouri.
Landscape-wise, yes, Missouri is not entirely Midwestern. Drive on I-70 througout Missouri and you generally will see the Midwest side of Missouri. Drive on I-44 and once southwest of St. Louis you get cliffs and the Ozark foothills, but the Ozarks I don't consider southern throughout most of Missouri until you are almost out of the state. Missouri is unique in certain ways. Most of the south doesn't look like Missouri by any sense. In fact I've found that most of central and southern Ohio have the same type of hilliness that Southern missouri has. If you are talking in terms of landscape, then Minnesota, Missouri, and Ohio cannot be fully in the Midwest either. Central Missouri when i visited there had no accents, no sweet tea, nothing at all that seemed Southern. maybe we will disagree. The Midwest does not look the same everywhere go throughout it. The South certainly does not look the same everywhere. My definition of the South has to be the culture...if the culture is there, then I'll include it. If not...nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.