Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Disney World has to be the absolute most overrated tourist trap in the entire country.

If that's what the previous poster meant when he said Orlando, then he/she is spot on and indeed, 48 million tourists each year are essentially clueless.

It is billed as a dream all children should strive to have, and that each parent should indulge their childrens' dreams by taking them to this place. Even if the place was a great park, those are lofty goals to have to meet. By definition, it is certainly overrated.
There is more to Orlando attractions than just DisneyWorld. And I think the large majority of people would absolutely disagree with you. The numbers speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There is more to Orlando attractions than just DisneyWorld. And I think the large majority of people would absolutely disagree with you. The numbers speak for themselves.
Part of what makes a touristy area overrated is the fact that it's popular. What's more popular than disney world? Being popular only enhances its ability to be overrated, not diminishes it.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
heres the list of most visted cities in the USA according to Forbestraveler.com

1. Las Vegas
2. Los Angelas
3. Orlando
4. New York City
5. Chicago
6. D.C.
7. Atlanta
8. San Diego
9. Houston
10. Dallas
11. Philadelphia
12. Phoenix
13. Anaheim, CA
14. San Francisco
15. Miami
16. Boston
17. San Antonio
18. St. Louis
19. Tampa
20. Minneapolis

Old 08-16-2009, 02:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
The rockies range is huge, and from my own view they dont look alike at all. It just depends what you're interests are.
A big slab of granite is a big slab of granite. Whether it is pointing < this way or > that way or ^ that way. It all looks the same. Even the trees are incredibly boring being either spruce or aspen or once in a while pine. I look at them and I think. Yeah, so?

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-16-2009, 03:22 PM

63 posts, read 169,699 times
My top 3....

1. Bourbon Street (bars, strip clubs, and garbage)
2. Coney Island, NYC (what a filthy place)
3. Hollywood Blvd

Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM

79 posts, read 157,919 times
Hollywood?! Disneyworld?!! The Rocky Mountains?!!! Bourbon street?!!!! Times Square?!!!!!! NEW YORK CITY??!!!!!!!!!! THE GRAND ******* CANYON??!!!!! I'm deeply in love with all those places. And you call yourselves American??!!

Anyways probalby Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. It has the most touristy, trashy, overpriced crap I have ever layed eyes on. And it really is sad, because it ruins the wonderful Great Smoky Mountains.

Here's what an average section of the main road in Gatlinburg looks like:

A "Your going to Hell" church
A XXX shop
A gun shop that sells AK-47s(CLEARLY used for hunting)
A Motel 6/Super 8
A "Let's rob and exploit people by potraying Southerners as ignorant redneck hillbillies" mini golf course/shop/go cart track/theater/"museum"/resturant/etc.
A pancake house

Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Hollywood is pretty bad. Lots of misplaced midwestern kids pan-handling for their big break.
Manns Chinese has real creepy characters/celebrity impersonators hustling tourists.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
I seldom find world famous attractions to be overrated. I always find the smaller attractions recommended by locals overrated. I don't know whether anybody else finds this interesting. When you ask for locals to recommend things, they tend to recommend things other than the famous attractions, say stuff like, XX is just tourist trap, our locals love YY. But when I go to see both, I usually find XX is much better than YY. YY is usually what you can find in anywhere else which is nice but doesn't add more to your knowledge. I think the reason is that being a famous tourist attraction, XX caters more to the taste of a general visitor like me. I am not a local so I don't like what locals like.

That said, I think Times Square and The Star Walk are the most overrated tourist attractions, but I didn't expect more from Times Square even before I went there. I just don't see how so many people are excited about it.

Last edited by fashionguy; 08-16-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 05:50 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The Georgia Aquarium.

I mean, it's ok. But they tout it as being "the worlds largest Aquarium". Technically it is, as it has 8 million gallons of water in the tanks (more coming as well), so it has more WATER than any other Aquarium in the world. But the facility itself isn't the largest, and many of the smaller exhibits weren't designed well in terms of interactive displays, smaller viewing ports, poor crowd flow control, etc etc. It still draws huge crowds and most folks still enjoy it overall, but I have heard a lot of people say it wasn't quite what they expected in terms of "hype vs reality".

I've also heard the same about the World of Coke museum which is actually next door to the Aquarium, but I haven't been there yet, so won't comment on personal experience with that one yet.
Agreed. The insane crowds really detract from the enjoyment of the Georgia Acquarium. I tell everyone who'll listen that the Chattanooga Acquarium (two hours from Atlanta) is a better choice.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:59 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,204 times
Hollywood overrated? How can a place that hardly gets recognition be overrated? Hollywood it's self is underrated and is in mid-process of revitalization and is rapidly changing. Hopefully the new Cirque du Soleil show that's suppose to have a permanent show at kodak theater will help people see otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.