Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 02:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
With threads like this a person has to decide if being honest is worth all the anger\hurt feelings from Southerners. So I prefer to stay out of this discussion.
Perpetuating stereotypes is not being honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Heat and humidity. This was especially bad prior to cheap household air conditioning.

Another thing is that the South used to host a lot of diseases (malaria, dengue fever, etc) that are nowadays considered to be tropical diseases by and large. Having to survive such a load deadly diseases may make you a tough old bugger, but it probably takes a bit of the spring out your step too.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Even in the North, if it's brutally hot and humid, EVERYTHING slows down. The LAST thing I want to do when it's that hot it to move around.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:33 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
IMO heat and humidity for southerners not being a bit faster is a cop out. its bull.

there are a number of factors as to why the south is slower than the north as far as pace. overall, the south is slower in the winter time than we are in the summer.

just saying.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:05 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
This is just another ignorant thread about the South.
That you brought back to life after it sat dormant for 5 1/2 months .

Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 AM

240 posts, read 559,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMO heat and humidity for southerners not being a bit faster is a cop out. its bull.

there are a number of factors as to why the south is slower than the north as far as pace. overall, the south is slower in the winter time than we are in the summer.

just saying.

Exactly! Maybe *compared to* the North (and San Francisco) but people here in the South (judging from NC) strike me as being much more rushed than some Northern counterparts.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times
You folks are looking at this wrong.

In the South there is a saying... joie de vivre (the joy of living)

Things aren't slower in the South... people just stop to smell the roses more.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 PM

287 posts, read 498,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

just saying.
So your true feeling come out about the south.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
This is a repost of a reply I made to America's Laziest States thread.

Here is a quotation from a letter written by a Massachusetts gentleman in 1858 after he had settled in western Virginia, now West Virginia. I did not realize how much of a West Virginian I was until I read his letter. It described my dad and me to a T. My favorite part is the last line.

Quote:
Ceredo, December 8, 1858

Dear Mother, your letter received and was glad to hear of your good health. Ceredo has not changed a great deal since I last wrote. It is winter now with us...We won't have much cold weather here but it has rained the most of the time. We have a meeting a part of every Sunday. I don't think this is a very moral community. The Sabbath is generally spent gunning or fishing by the Virginians but the eastern people mostly attend church...The Virginians differ much from the eastern people. They are a very slow moulded people, little or no energy about them. The farmers do not take any care of their land. All they seem to care for is to just get along.
Attached Thumbnails

Here's the link to the original article in the other thread, Laziest States.
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10...t_states/1.htm

ALthough WV came in at 7th, it is #1 in time spent socializing, 58 minutes.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
So your true feeling come out about the south.
i'm from ny.

what city in the south is as fast as we are in ny, philly, boston, jersey city, etc. winter, summer, fall or spring?

calm down. there's no hidden agenda when it comes to me. if i want to say something then i'll just go ahead and say it. trust me. like i said in the last thread, you pride yourselves in the fact that you're laid back and not full of congestion, swarming with ppl, you like your space and enjoy driving in your car rather than relying on public transportation where you have to sit or stand on the train with mad ppl, etc. and you call us rude and say we live in shoe boxes, we rush from point a to point b, we don't stop and smell the roses or whatever...

but now you're upset that you live in an area that's slower?? why, because a southerner didn't say you're slower paced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.