Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:49 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one has even mentioned retiring to like MEXICO or another country.
I am dying to move to Mexico. I do not want to wait until I retire. But.... get this.... they have this wierd law down there that basically says "you cannot hire a foriegner to do a job that a Mexican can do". I know... crazy, right? So it is very hard to get work down there as an American citizen unless you want to become a dual citizen.... which I am looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm surprised no one has even mentioned retiring to like MEXICO or another country.
I am dying to move to Mexico. I do not want to wait until I retire. But.... get this.... they have this wierd law down there that basically says "you cannot hire a foriegner to do a job that a Mexican can do". I know... crazy, right? So it is very hard to get work down there as an American citizen unless you want to become a dual citizen.... which I am looking into.
sounds like a great law to me.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
sounds like a great law to me.
Wish we had a law like that to protect American jobs. Mexico puts their citizenry first ahead of others, as any country should.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
If Mexico has a law like that, then why do so many Mexicans come to America for work

The law must not be as effective as it sounds

Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If Mexico has a law like that, then why do so many Mexicans come to America for work

Because they don't have top caliber universities and industries. They aren't even a first world country. The law is still solid though. Look at how hard it is to immigrate or work in Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Belgium for example...They have similar laws. Our immigration policy has run its course, we don't have the resources to support unskilled labor, and especially not feeding people in for high skilled labor just so corporations can pay them less and have their board members get their wallets fat. Their federal government is actually modeled after the United States.
Does it really matter if Larry Ellison is worth 25 billion dollars, or 5 billion dollars? What would be better... to have him with another 20 billion in cash? Or to have an extra 100,000 people each with an extra 200,000 grand in their pockets to invest into the economy? Or to just have 10,000 more people with 2 million a piece to invest into their own ideas and companies. This is just one case.

Last edited by grapico; 11-05-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Quote:
So many people seem to spend their working years living in a place they don't like only to move somewhere they like when they retire. Let's say they retire at 60 and live to 80. That means they would live somewhere they like for 25% of their life. Wouldn't it make more sense to move somewhere you like when you're young and spend 75% of your life somewhere you like?

I didn't know which forum to post this. If the moderators want to move this somewhere else, they can.
Actually, this thread seems more appropriate for the Retirement Forum. But that's okay.

I can answer this question easily for myself. I'm still living where I do because I married a native Oregonian who has had no interest in leaving it. But he's accepted the fact that we will move when I retire, if we're not "forced" to first. That will be in Central California, where I'm from.

Until then, I rely on my job for my retirement and, because of health insurance, will need to wait until 62. My job is secure and stable (for now). My original plan was to retire at the end of '10 but that no longer appears possible, much to my disappointment. Hell, I'd love to be able to leave the work force TOMORROW!

Family obligations could very "call" us back to Calif. Siblings may require our help and care and it's been loosely arranged. It isn't exactly the ideal criteria to get us there, but . . . .

Old 11-06-2009, 02:17 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
I've liked every place I've lived when I lived there but some places are better than others at different times of your life.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Wish we had a law like that to protect American jobs. Mexico puts their citizenry first ahead of others, as any country should.
Unemployment would go down a little but a lot of the job that Mexicans do they do for very cheap, long hours and back breaking work. Not saying that Americans don't work long hours or that they don't work hard.

Last edited by thePR; 11-06-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 02:44 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:

Not to mention they can make in a week here what it takes to a month to make at home. AND jobs aren't easy to come by in large portions of that country.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
Quote:
So many people seem to spend their working years living in a place they don't like only to move somewhere they like when they retire. Let's say they retire at 60 and live to 80. That means they would live somewhere they like for 25% of their life. Wouldn't it make more sense to move somewhere you like when you're young and spend 75% of your life somewhere you like?
I agree with you, I would've loved to have lived the majority of my life in a warm, sunny locale, but several factors prevented that. First, my parents lived here and all the other siblings moved away, so I felt a sense of obligation. Second, my career is here. Third, my DH's career is here. This is a great place to live, get an education, and raise a family, and the place I'd prefer to live isn't nearly as nice in these critical areas. Since we wanted what was best for our children and financial security, we chose to stay here to raise our children. We gave our kids the best life we could provide. But now that they're almost raised and we're contemplating retirement, we can live where we wish. We've fulfilled our obligations and are ready to get on with the next phase of our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.