Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM

211 posts, read 549,495 times

Advertisements

If you could live ANYWHERE in the U.S. and COST WAS NOT AN ISSUE, where would it be? These are my picks listed in order:

1.) NYC-The Penthouse Suite at the Plaza overlooking Central Park
2.) San Diego, California
3.) Cape Cod, Mass.
4.) Boston, Mass.
5.) Charleston, North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 06:23 PM

915 posts, read 1,628,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
If you could live ANYWHERE in the U.S. and COST WAS NOT AN ISSUE, where would it be? These are my picks listed in order:

1.) NYC-The Penthouse Suite at the Plaza overlooking Central Park
2.) San Diego, California
3.) Cape Cod, Mass.
4.) Boston, Mass.
5.) Charleston, North Carolina
well, i'm thinking on that question just now though cost is always an issue. and i do like charleston, but it's in south carolina

Old 11-20-2009, 06:29 PM

29 posts, read 79,822 times
Default place to live

1.The playboy mansion
2. white house
3. Jay lenos garage

Old 11-20-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
well, i'm thinking on that question just now though cost is always an issue. and i do like charleston, but it's in south carolina
OOPS!!! You're right-too late to edit my post!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,140,557 times
I would like to winter in a concrete dome home in Cape Coral Florida, with orange and grapefruit trees in the backyard.........no wait, Id rather it be on my sugar plantation near Cape Coral, with garden of eden like setting and dock for my steamboat trips to Key West.

But the Des Moines area would suit me fine for about 8 months out of the year. Might pick an acerage near Saylorville Lake, or perhaps one of those hidden mansions with driveway that snakes up the hill along Browns Woods Drive in West Des Moines. Nice and private with electric gate and vette in the garage, yeah thats the ticket !

Old 11-21-2009, 02:07 AM

36,669 posts, read 67,645,533 times
The problem for me is not where to live cause I know I want to live in Oakland when Im in the US, but I can't find the perfect condo/coop there. It doesnt exist in that city. At first I wanted a house in a less hoity toity part of town called Cleveland Heights-then when I found out none of the homes there I liked were for sale, I compromised but still ultimately want a great big condo. Preferably in the upper floors of a new highrise.

My expectations are really high for my dream condo as I want 2 floors, 5 bedrooms, at least 4 full baths(preferably each bedroom has their own but Im willing to compromise) and a few half baths. A large entryway or foyer with a spiral staircase, a large living room with high ceilings and separate formal dining room and possibly a library/ den. BTW, I don't like great rooms where the whole darn house is like in big room. No don't like that. Anyway, I want a large gourmet kitchen with its own spacious dining space, a large pantry, as well as a big family room adjacent to the kitchen area, a separate laundry room, au pair quarters and service entrance. I also want at least 3 fireplaces, balconies all around, huge windows, parking for 4 vehicles and lots of storage space. I would also like a private lap pool and an outside entertaining area.

Basically a mansion inside an condo tower. LOL

Oh, and a 24-hr doorman is a must.

I know it sounds vain and stupid(my parents are always telling me off about the house that I live in now-they are from the old country, where big houses are not a necessity for 1 man and his dog), but I love home decorating and have grown accustomed to living in a lot of square footage.

In order for me and my dog(its just the 2 of us) to find such a place, Id have to buy 3-4 adjoining units in a building, basically gut the whole thing and redevelop the entire space into what I want. Too much work and I don't have time.

I used to live in this Oakland condo tower:

The views were nice...(this isnt my unit btw, its some picture of a staged unit)

I had a 3 bd and the building was very ideal for me but the units were too small.

So when we came back to Oakland from Marin County earlier this year, my dog and I made due in a nice little neighborhood of Oakland called Upper Rockridge. Its only a house.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 11-21-2009 at 02:15 AM..

Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I would like to winter in a concrete dome home in Cape Coral Florida, with orange and grapefruit trees in the backyard.........no wait, Id rather it be on my sugar plantation near Cape Coral, with garden of eden like setting and dock for my steamboat trips to Key West.

But the Des Moines area would suit me fine for about 8 months out of the year. Might pick an acerage near Saylorville Lake, or perhaps one of those hidden mansions with driveway that snakes up the hill along Browns Woods Drive in West Des Moines. Nice and private with electric gate and vette in the garage, yeah thats the ticket !

My husband used to live in Cape Coral and we vacationed in Key West 2 winters ago...what fun!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The problem for me is not where to live cause I know I want to live in Oakland when Im in the US, but I can't find the perfect condo/coop there. It doesnt exist in that city. At first I wanted a house in a less hoity toity part of town called Cleveland Heights-then when I found out none of the homes there I liked were for sale, I compromised but still ultimately want a great big condo. Preferably in the upper floors of a new highrise.

My expectations are really high for my dream condo as I want 2 floors, 5 bedrooms, at least 4 full baths(preferably each bedroom has their own but Im willing to compromise) and a few half baths. A large entryway or foyer with a spiral staircase, a large living room with high ceilings and separate formal dining room and possibly a library/ den. BTW, I don't like great rooms where the whole darn house is like in big room. No don't like that. Anyway, I want a large gourmet kitchen with its own spacious dining space, a large pantry, as well as a big family room adjacent to the kitchen area, a separate laundry room, au pair quarters and service entrance. I also want at least 3 fireplaces, balconies all around, huge windows, parking for 4 vehicles and lots of storage space. I would also like a private lap pool and an outside entertaining area.

Basically a mansion inside an condo tower. LOL

Oh, and a 24-hr doorman is a must.

I know it sounds vain and stupid(my parents are always telling me off about the house that I live in now-they are from the old country, where big houses are not a necessity for 1 man and his dog), but I love home decorating and have grown accustomed to living in a lot of square footage.

In order for me and my dog(its just the 2 of us) to find such a place, Id have to buy 3-4 adjoining units in a building, basically gut the whole thing and redevelop the entire space into what I want. Too much work and I don't have time.

I used to live in this Oakland condo tower:

The views were nice...(this isnt my unit btw, its some picture of a staged unit)

I had a 3 bd and the building was very ideal for me but the units were too small.

So when we came back to Oakland from Marin County earlier this year, my dog and I made due in a nice little neighborhood of Oakland called Upper Rockridge. Its only a house.
Honey, you don't want to be in Oakland-you want the entire top 2 floors of the Trump Towers in NYC!!!! Now there's a budget buster! And I thought I was extravagant LOL!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,967,262 times
One of the places I went to on my honeymoon was Santorini in Greece. That place is heaven on earth (you can see on my profile). I would love to spend winters there and the rest of the time here in the NYC metro area. I'd keep our current house and buy a decent sized apartment in Chelsea (Manhattan). We can afford Manhattan (to rent, not buy), but chose to buy on Long Island. My husband doesn't like Manhattan much, but I told him if I get successful writing this book and something happens from me being on an upcoming tv show, I'd love to get an apartment in the city and go there sometimes.

Last edited by Rachael84; 11-21-2009 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 09:01 PM

594 posts, read 1,202,955 times
1. Plaza Hotel in NYC
2. Mansion in Beverly Hills, CA
3. Paris, France
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.