Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 AM

101 posts, read 763,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Shreypete, just go live your life.

You yourself have proven that Indians can marry outside their ethnic group in a plethora of different places within the US (Nebraska says it all, and only validates my stance).

Find somewhere you like, and just go.

In my experience, being in area where there is more of "my ethnic group" has proven to be more of a hindrance as opposed to being a benefit. Being around one's own group only breeds conformity and an unwillingness to break out of shells and over barriers.

You are human, and IMO are free to live wherever you please within these United States.
Thanks David...coming to think of it, you're right! Living in an are with too many people of the same ethnicity can be harder. I just didn't see this before. I thought that it will actually make things easier as the rest of the people would get used to seeing people of one ethnicity. So yes, you're right. I'll just find a place I like (and that's suitable for my career) and go Thanks for making me see that man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
all i know is that there are 234243249230498390423 trillion east indians in queens. if you can't find a soulmate in queens then i dunno.

and you don't have to be "afraid of the gangstas." lol @ that. please. this is 2009, almost 2010, not 1991. you'll be fine.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM

101 posts, read 763,552 times
lol eek. I know that it's almost 2010 but interracial couples (especially involving Indians and another race) only make up a minority.

I do agree that there might be a lot of marriages amongst American born Indians and whites/hispanics/blacks but I slowly am noticing how many white women are actually marrying Indian born Indians (and it's on the rise.) I still feel that black-white interracial couples are most common followed by Asians and then perhaps Indians.

to jayp, I quite agree that most Indians have strong-rooted traditions and some of them actually frown up interracial marriage but I think this is changing a lot. I know of many Indians (from India) who have married out of their race. It's a bit ironic because many Indians themselves are mixed in terms of origin but they still have very conventional views regarding marriage within the race. I've lived in Europe for quite some time and I realized that there are more indian-white interracial couples there, perhaps because there are far fewer Indians in European countries (with the exception of the UK and France).

Old 12-06-2009, 05:38 PM

93,349 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
lol eek. I know that it's almost 2010 but interracial couples (especially involving Indians and another race) only make up a minority.

I do agree that there might be a lot of marriages amongst American born Indians and whites/hispanics/blacks but I slowly am noticing how many white women are actually marrying Indian born Indians (and it's on the rise.) I still feel that black-white interracial couples are most common followed by Asians and then perhaps Indians.

to jayp, I quite agree that most Indians have strong-rooted traditions and some of them actually frown up interracial marriage but I think this is changing a lot. I know of many Indians (from India) who have married out of their race. It's a bit ironic because many Indians themselves are mixed in terms of origin but they still have very conventional views regarding marriage within the race. I've lived in Europe for quite some time and I realized that there are more indian-white interracial couples there, perhaps because there are far fewer Indians in European countries (with the exception of the UK and France).
You can add Canada in some cities like Toronto and Vancouver too.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can add Canada in some cities like Toronto and Vancouver too.
I just love Toronto--great city! Bigger than Chicago but not as huge as NYC, lots of stuff/cultures/everything going on. Has some great Architecture and fabulous funky neighborhoods. I've lived in Chicago so I'm sure I could handle the winters. In fact in shines in Winter!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I just love Toronto--great city! Bigger than Chicago but not as huge as NYC, lots of stuff/cultures/everything going on. Has some great Architecture and fabulous funky neighborhoods. I've lived in Chicago so I'm sure I could handle the winters. In fact in shines in Winter!

Chicago city proper is a little bit bigger than Toronto by a 300,000 gap. The metro area has around 4 million more than Toronto.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
In California most people I know view Indians as white. Maybe even whiter than white.
That is strange

Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
In California most people I know view Indians as white. Maybe even whiter than white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
That is strange

I don't agree with the Indians-like-white thing. I'm from San Diego and, like all cultures in SoCal, they may or may not have a concentrated neighborhood/"ghetto" (think "Koreatown" in Downtown LA) but they are well integrated, much more so than the East Coast which I find to be a lot more intolerant on the whole. (I'd say the only culture that is not well integrated on the West Coast are Mexicans/other non-Spanish Hispanics)

The Little India in LA County is in Artesia, which is part of Long Beach. Its as big as Chicago's Little India on Devon Ave. I am not familiar with Indian culture so I can't tell you which part of India most of the residents/business owners are from.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I don't agree with the Indians-like-white thing. I'm from San Diego and, like all cultures in SoCal, they may or may not have a concentrated neighborhood/"ghetto" (think "Koreatown" in Downtown LA) but they are well integrated, much more so than the East Coast which I find to be a lot more intolerant on the whole. (I'd say the only culture that is not well integrated on the West Coast are Mexicans/other non-Spanish Hispanics)

The Little India in LA County is in Artesia, which is part of Long Beach. Its as big as Chicago's Little India on Devon Ave. I am not familiar with Indian culture so I can't tell you which part of India most of the residents/business owners are from.
Chicago has alot more Indian businesses and Indian residents (as of 2008, about 35,000 more). Cerritos has a big Indian community, but it cant hold a candle to the ones in the Chicago area. In California, Indians seem to prefer San Jose and Northern California to SoCal.

I also agree that the West Coast seems alot more tolerant than the East. People out West dont seem to care much about who you are or where you came from. But I think Chicago seems that way too.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:14 AM

Places where there is high concentration of healthcare and top tier universities, you'll find a lot of East Indians as well as other Asians. Sound stereotypical, but it is my observation. There is a fair Indian population in Illinois around 178,000 between the years 2006-2007 according to census. Oak Brook, IL, a wealthy suburb was 10.5% Indian from 2000 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.