Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 PM

25 posts, read 75,513 times

Advertisements

I took a trip to Boulder and (mostly) loved it. The outdoorsy, athletic people, the town, the BC bike path, the cool shops, resturants, liberal, progressive attitude of most, the city's awesome recycling program and it is an up and coming green city. Here's the problem-I just dont think I can live where there arent many trees. Yeah, I know they have trees here and there, and of course in the mountains but I currently live in North Florida where is is green, and lush-and I love it! I just hate this city. I wanna get out of here but need to live somewhere that has an ahtletic, healthy population and has a lot of trees not open plains, desert, etc. Moutain biking is a must!!! I've been to Tsali Trails and that is a bit too moutainous, just you know. Thanks and any suggestions are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,607,330 times
Asheville, North Carolina?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:45 PM

23,453 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Asheville, North Carolina?
That was going to be my response; also:

Charlottesville, VA
Woodstock, NY
Northampton, MA

Old 07-20-2008, 08:49 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,953 times
Def. Asheville.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:54 PM

25 posts, read 75,513 times
i did a search here on "asheville, nc" and there were a lot of threads where people were talking about how asheville has changed. a lo tof panhandlers, homeless, same ol' eclectic shop after same ol' eclectic shop, govt. wastes taxpayer money, blah, blah, blah... they just said it wasnt they way they remembered it..so they are moving.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:55 PM

23,453 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdh344 View Post
i did a search here on "asheville, nc" and there were a lot of threads where people were talking about how asheville has changed. a lo tof panhandlers, homeless, same ol' eclectic shop after same ol' eclectic shop, govt. wastes taxpayer money, blah, blah, blah... they just said it wasnt they way they remembered it..so they are moving.
I say go see for yourself and don't let the trolls scare you off. I was just there in May and didn't find that at all.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:59 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Maybe people could start to develop an area in the south besides Asheville for what your looking for. Its about time. All this talk about the south being overweight and unhealthy and lacking interest in what these progressive cities have. By the way all these progressive cities in this country seem to be in the North other than Asheville, and really just how progressive is Asheville? Yeah its about time, turn some regions of the south into progressive. There are enough yuppies in Charlotte, Atlanta, and Florida must have some population of progressive types. Get Moving. Imagine having a progressive place in a warmer climate. A place where you could have all those activities you mentioned you liked in Boulder, and then you wouldn't have to leave the south at all. As far as the east coast besides those places mentioned, might be Burlington Vt, or Portland Me. Both liberal, they love their bikes and numerous trails especially Burlington. But yeah freezing cold all winter, summers beautiful.

4,229 posts, read 17,607,330 times
I agree with LovinDecatur. How can you totally blow off a city because of what others have said.

2,441 posts, read 7,007,270 times
Ithaca, New York

Old 07-20-2008, 09:16 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I have a friend that moved to Asheville 2 months ago from Ft Myers. She likes it so far she said. Its small so there was much less driving involved with living there she said. She also did mention and I already knew this from living here in Portland, a similiar type place. Asheville is a bohemian, hippie type place, sort of alternative lifestyle environment. A more live and let live type mindset. As here in Portland with that does come more homeless for whatever reason and maybe some crime involved with poverty. Other than that she said it had alot of nice restaurants and was a real outdoorsy place with people riding bikes around town and on trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.