Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 PM

164 posts, read 463,710 times

Advertisements

It seems to. Especially since I've seen states that don't border the ocean at all, like Pennsylvania and Vermont, included in the "East Coast." And I also hear people from Atlantic-bordering Southern states use the terms synonymously.

How do you define the "East Coast"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 04:34 PM

151 posts, read 739,580 times
All the Atlantic states from Maine to Florida.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:38 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
Literally, yes, it means all Atlantic states from Maine to Florida. But in South Carolina and North Carolina, almost no one uses the term "East Coast". I think it is used far more frequently in the northeast, though. When someone says they are from the "East Coast", I think of the Boston - Washington corridor.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:40 PM

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Co..._United_States

The term "East Coast" is often associated with the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic United States, particularly for cultural concepts such as an "Eastern college" or "East-coast liberal" or the "I-95 Corridor" (referring to Interstate 95). The Southeastern portion of the coast from Virginia to Florida is more typically associated culturally with the larger American South. "East Coast" may also refer even more narrowly to the highly urbanized strip along the coast from Boston, Massachusetts, to Washington, D.C., which is also known as the "Northeast Corridor", a definition which excludes the hinterlands of Upstate New York and Western Pennsylvania, which may have more in common with the Midwest than with cities like New York, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Boston.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:53 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,255 times
All the states that touch the Atlantic from Maine to Florida.

I consider PA, the Northeast, but not the East Coast.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:09 PM

LittleMissSunshine, how do you figure? I've never, not once, heard a southerner say they were from the "east coast". How does it include NC, SC, and Georgia - and no, I don't mean geographically.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,946 times
I would say it goes from Northern Va to Maine. I would not include Western PA as that is more Midwest.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:16 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
It seems to. Especially since I've seen states that don't border the ocean at all, like Pennsylvania and Vermont, included in the "East Coast." And I also hear people from Atlantic-bordering Southern states use the terms synonymously.

How do you define the "East Coast"?
Actually, Pennsylvania does border the ocean. Part of it lines the Delaware Estuary.

The only time I've heard the term "East Coast" used is when it was referring to the genre of rap (which usually encompasses Mass., NY, NJ, Penn., Mary., and Vir.). If I were to hear someone say East Coast, I would assume they were talking about all the states that touch the Atlantic with the exception of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, or the western coast of Florida. Otherwise, they need to be specific about whether it's the north or southeast.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 PM

70 posts, read 320,681 times
I think traditionally it means Northeast, and most Southerners in the coastal states prefer to identify with the general south rather than the coast, but as the influx of northerners from the "East Coast" fills in the gap between Northern Virginia and Florida, I think it's gonna be more common to refer to an "East Coast" culture. I predict North Carolina will (ok, already does) have a lot more in common with Florida and Maryland than Alabama and Arkansas. Plus, as someone who has lived in MA, NY, NC, and FL I like to think of it all as my turf "the East Coast."

Almost everyone up north knows someone in Florida or the Carolinas and regularly vacations there. Its a merging of cultures as the West Coast did (used to be just California, now that all the 'fornians have moved, WA, OR, and even NV and AZ are considered "West Coast"

Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,625 times
Its a term to refer to the Northeast or yankee areas of the eastern coast like florida, hilton head, cary north carolina -- stuff that i hate lol well much better cary north carolina than boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.