Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 AM

44 posts, read 115,962 times

Advertisements

I was on this forum about a yrear ago when I was trying to decide if I should move to Houston, Florida or stay in New York to go back to school for Oriental Medicine and Acupuncture. Wellllll I am originally from NY and I did wind up moving to HOuston. I love this, "City", however I find myslef missing the fast pace and city minded people form New York. People say we are rude and unhappy, but for whatever reason that is just what I know and love!!! Now the thing is since I have been here all have really had time for is school, and I havent really had time to travel to other cities and do everythng I planed on doing because I have been taking 17 credits, which is crazyyyy for medical school!!! I feel like the reason I am taking so may is becasue I am in a hurry to get back to NY. My options are to move back to NY which I know I love or, there is also a branch of Pacific College in Chicago as well. So I would be able to go to Chicago for a year or so and move bck to NY witout losseing any credits!!! I am in a hurry to make this decision becaue if I stay in Houston passed April I will already be too far into my program and I will loose too many credits when making the transfer. I guess what I am asking is should I stay in Houston ans stick it out for 2-3 more years lighten my load with class and work more, or do I move t Chicago and get to experience a new city without haveing the stress of feelin stuck, because I will be able to transfer back to NY atany time. Or do I just move back to NY and start my life becasue I know that is where I want to wind up anyway. I am 25 so not quit ready to settle down or anything like that yet. Ok well im am sorry this was so long but I have asked allllllll of my firends and family and it is difficult to get an un-bias opinion. I will appreciate any adivse or even just opinions on any of these cites!!!! Thank youuuuuuu

One last thing I do feel that if I decide to leave Houston I will still be here for another 3-4 mts, and I will have more then enough time to see neighboring cities before I leave!!! OK now im done.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Move back home to NY

Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
You want to move because you miss the fast pace and "city-mindedness" of NYC? I can understand that, but after making the move, I don't know that I'd uproot again so soon for that reason alone. Sounds like you're just homesick. I guess I'd need more information to make a judgment. What kind of money is involved in the move? What is your living arrangement in these cities? I'd definitely factor my budget into my decision. Or is money not a concern? What was your motivation for leaving NYC, a city you love so much, and moving to Houston in the first place?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM

44 posts, read 115,962 times
Money is definitely a concern. A freiend of mine that I met in Houston is from Chicago and she is moving back there in March so I wont have any trouble finding a job there while im in school. However, I just came home to NY for the holidays and one thing for sure is I do NOT miss the cold weather, and I think Chicago is even worse then this!!! I just really love experienceing new things and considering I will most likly wind up in NY anyway, and I am going to be in school reguardless of where I live, I kind of feel like why not try a new city??? As much as I love Houston, I will always feel like I have to tone down my personality a little bit to be even somewhat "Socially exeptable" in Houston. On the other hand they do have the Texas Medical Center which is the best in the world!!! I realize I sound crazy but there is just so many pros and cons to both. And I have made a list of them, several list to be exact, but that really doesnt help me. I much rather ask perfect stangers with un-bias opinions!!!! Thank you again...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Move back home to NY
^^OP, listen to her.^^

home is where the heart is. welcome back.

there is nothing like NYC and anything else will leave you with a lacking feeling...although chicago wouldn't be a bad decision. its just not home tho, right? and like you said, you'd move back to NYC regardless. you should just move now and get it over with.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 14,555 times
I see what you are saying. I am from Chicago and I notice that people down here are more reserved. People from Chicago and NY are more blount and to the point. I like Houston as well but i hate the lack of aggressiveness sometimes as well. I love Chicago, it is a great city but like NY people can be more rude an the taxes are high. But as far as things to do Chicago is second to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.