Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,626 times

Advertisements

I’m having an internal debate / problem as far as a job opportunity is concerned. I’m 24. I was born in Colorado, and then my parents moved when I was 6 months old to the Midwest – and have been in the Chicago suburbs since I was 3.

I was out in Denver for work a week ago and took a day (plus weekend) afterwards to go exploring in Boulder and visit one of my friends who teaches way up in the mountains. I fell in love with the mountains, the weather (going from 50 to 25 and snowing 4” back to 50 the next day), all of the trails and outdoor opportunities that we just don’t have in the Midwest. Plus people seemed to be super friendly and outgoing rather than more reserved like in Chicago.

On a whim, I applied to two jobs that sounded like something I am interested in. Not thinking much of it (since when I was in college, I never heard back from anywhere that was out of state, and I applied to probably 40-50 places in Colorado, Portland and Seattle), I was joking around with friends that I could move out there! Well… both of the places I applied to emailed me back wanting to set up phone interviews. One is in Denver, the other Broomfield.

At first I was super excited – that my dream could become a reality. Then a few seconds later, I realized I’d be leaving everything behind I knew. My parents, who I’m extremely close with. The clubs and groups I’ve been a part of since graduation. My training partners for running. And my first true friend group I’ve ever been a part of.

That’s when I start thinking…. Well the Chicago area isn’t that bad. Yeah the winters suck horribly here, but there’s a ton going, Wisconsin for camping, some gravel trails for running. Plus what fun is it to do everything without friends?

I’m introverted (INTJ). It took me a long time to find and set up a group of friends who I am comfortable around and can be myself. It’s like my head says moving would be the best thing for me in the long run. But my heart is here in IL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 AM

704 posts, read 1,793,272 times
Why exactly do you prefer Colorado? You mentioned the people, and I live in Denver and I don't find the people especially friendly compared to the rest of the country.

For what it's worth, from one introvert to another, I moved to northern Indiana from Denver for grad school. I moved back here mostly because I wanted to be more involved with family. Nobody says that you have to stay in Colorado forever if you take the job, but if your heart is telling you Illinois, well, maybe there is something to that. My wife is from the Midwest and we have thought extensively about moving there from Denver--a city we aren't terribly fond of--but we have a new baby and sharing in that joy with my family is a great experience. I would say this, pray about it for a while. If you feel a special desire or compulsion to come to Colorado and you have a good opportunity, go for it. But don't come just because you feel like you need to experience something. This forum is full of folks who make a life of moving and experiencing different places. Most of the world, though, lives life wherever they're planted, and that isn't a bad thing. Colorado does have good weather and great mountains. But it doesn't have a lot of what Chicago has, or a giant lake, either. So don't feel too bad about living where you do. Like I said, pray about it and maybe do a pro/con list. I have a pretty good idea what you'll find, and I suspect you do, too. But give it a shot and see what you cone up with.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,422 times
I just did the opposite move from Denver to Chicago last fall. I had an opportunity come along to relocate, and I went for it. I like you, left behind a great group of friends, which was difficult. At the same time, I had lived in Denver for 9 years, and was ready for a change, and so far, the change has been good.

The winter weather in Denver is much better... you get a lot more sunshine, and more warm days, so the snow melts faster. I never found people in the Denver area to be super friendly, but tend to be polite for the most part. I do miss the more live-and-let-live attitude in Denver.

One thing to bear in mind... Denver has gotten relatively expensive, but salaries tend to be lower (one of the main reasons I left). Although the cost of living in Chicago is a little higher, jobs tend to pay much better, and there are more career opportunities. My position here is very similar to the one I had in Denver, but I am making around 30% more (after taxes). I know every situation is different, but it's something to bear in mind.

Life is short. Sometimes, you just have to take the leap of faith. Stepping outside of one's comfort zone is scary, but it's also an opportunity to grow.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:50 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,626 times
Well I'm on to third round of interviews (via Skype) for this company. Still SO torn. Actually the position will pay $5-10k more than in Chicago (although if I moved jobs in Chicago I'd make more too)

Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM

22 posts, read 20,325 times
flip a coin, man.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 AM

15 posts, read 23,875 times
Default Move

this state has nothing for nobody I'm moving to Colorado June 1st just trying to iron everything out right now. to fly and let movers take my stuff or to drive a UHAUL? I have to figure out how to get to Monte Vista from Denver if we fly. I know there is a flight everyday going both ways.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Very simple. Toss a coin. Do whatever you said you would do with heads or tails. If you look at the coin and say "Let's go for two out of three", you will know that you had already made up your mind.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:35 PM

123 posts, read 144,452 times
Go! You're 24. Now is the time to take risks and explore new places and meet new people. Being away from family and friends is hard at first but it will help you grow. If you hate it, you can go back home, but if you don't go you'll always wonder what it would have been like.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
Make a pro/con list. Factor everything in. Cost of living/friends/activities/weather/etc.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I’m having an internal debate / problem as far as a job opportunity is concerned. I’m 24. I was born in Colorado, and then my parents moved when I was 6 months old to the Midwest – and have been in the Chicago suburbs since I was 3.

I was out in Denver for work a week ago and took a day (plus weekend) afterwards to go exploring in Boulder and visit one of my friends who teaches way up in the mountains. I fell in love with the mountains, the weather (going from 50 to 25 and snowing 4” back to 50 the next day), all of the trails and outdoor opportunities that we just don’t have in the Midwest. Plus people seemed to be super friendly and outgoing rather than more reserved like in Chicago.

On a whim, I applied to two jobs that sounded like something I am interested in. Not thinking much of it (since when I was in college, I never heard back from anywhere that was out of state, and I applied to probably 40-50 places in Colorado, Portland and Seattle), I was joking around with friends that I could move out there! Well… both of the places I applied to emailed me back wanting to set up phone interviews. One is in Denver, the other Broomfield.

At first I was super excited – that my dream could become a reality. Then a few seconds later, I realized I’d be leaving everything behind I knew. My parents, who I’m extremely close with. The clubs and groups I’ve been a part of since graduation. My training partners for running. And my first true friend group I’ve ever been a part of.

That’s when I start thinking…. Well the Chicago area isn’t that bad. Yeah the winters suck horribly here, but there’s a ton going, Wisconsin for camping, some gravel trails for running. Plus what fun is it to do everything without friends?

I’m introverted (INTJ). It took me a long time to find and set up a group of friends who I am comfortable around and can be myself. It’s like my head says moving would be the best thing for me in the long run. But my heart is here in IL.
This place is Fool's Gold. I sounded a lot like you before I came out here and the first few months out here, but figured out that Denver is the creation of slick marketing. It is a very simple and slow place. It is a massive suburb with little to no culture. It is basically a high altitude, hipster version of Indianapolis with decent weather.

The truth is that this city is composed of Type B's that cannot handle big, international cities (NYC, LA, SF,Chicago, etc.) and people from rural areas that think it is a big city. That might be a good fit for you, and if so great, but I am on a different wave length from these people. I'm hurried and probably come across as rude because I am very direct. Nobody here speaks their mind and they plod around. It drives me crazy.

Traffic sucks because they don't know how to drive a car. It is even worse when it snows because 90% of the time they don't plow, so snow + bad drivers= hilarity and danger. The roads also frequently ice up. The Front Range mountains and the outdoor recreation are overrated and overcrowded (hiking with dozens, if not hundreds of other people ruins the point of hiking for me and 90% of the hikes are the same...up a hill/mountain...the good mountains are 3+ hours away). It is very much an employers market out here i.e. finding an entry level or even some middle level jobs that pay a living wage outside of the STEM industries is very difficult, and it is even tougher if you have a personality similar to mine because you'll be an outsider. The traits I have aren't shamed to the same degree back in Chicago. Also, rent is skyrocketing.

In general a good analogy to sum it up, you'd be paying porterhouse prices for top round beef. I know I can easily come across as cynical. I am not. I am being open and honest with the OP and anybody else that is thinking about moving out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.