Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:10 AM

416 posts, read 253,753 times

Advertisements

Wait until you hear back from those jobs and their starting salaries and if this is a career worth pursuing.

You millennials are so annoying, moving from city to city based on "falling in love with the mountains" but not considering what's important: YOUR FUTURE CAREERS.

And you wonder why millennials complain about not being able to afford homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 10:35 AM

686 posts, read 623,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
Wait until you hear back from those jobs and their starting salaries and if this is a career worth pursuing.

You millennials are so annoying, moving from city to city based on "falling in love with the mountains" but not considering what's important: YOUR FUTURE CAREERS.

And you wonder why millennials complain about not being able to afford homes.
There is much bigger reason that Colorado is experiencing such major growth, and it's not the mountains. The mountains are certainly a sweet added bonus, though.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:37 AM

416 posts, read 253,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
There is much bigger reason that Colorado is experiencing such major growth, and it's not the mountains. The mountains are certainly a sweet added bonus, though.
I was citing his reason quite literally. In reality, it can be a plethora of shallow reasons. The only reason that counts is your career.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:39 AM

686 posts, read 623,296 times
What rings true for you may not be the case for anyone else, though, so you shouldn't pass judgement on an entire generation of people like that.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:00 AM

685 posts, read 768,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
I was citing his reason quite literally. In reality, it can be a plethora of shallow reasons. The only reason that counts is your career.
Life is bigger than a job. Your overall quality-of-life depends on so many other factors.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:11 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,143,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2224 View Post
That was my first post in any forum. Thanks for the helpful response!
If you are working from home, I wouldn't live in either Indianapolis or Denver. CO Springs or Utah is a much better option.

As a lifelong CO native, I'm antisocial, hate transplants who invade my national forest, drive a never washed 92 Subaru with way too many miles, have six dogs that pee all over the sidewalks and my backseats, own an AR 15, and live in a cloud of weed smoke.

Actually, as a CO native, I think there's several things you have to desire in order to make this (the front range) be the true place for you:

1. Mountains AND national forest. I know it's kind of a duh, but these two things are big pulls that are hard to get elsewhere in the country. It's not simply being outdoors, cause CO forests and grasslands are pretty lame, it's the big, wide open views and open space to do things on.
2. Desire to live in an arid climate with snow. If you don't like snow, we get too much of it for you. If you do like snow, cool! Most of the time, it's pretty dry here, not quite a desert, but it's sure no temperate forest climate like Missouri. Right now I think we're officially in a drought again.
3. The need to use DIA, the airport, a fair amount.
4. Weed and microbrews. Both are a big part of CO.

If these aren't big positives that you would utilize, I don't think CO would be quite worth it IMO.

Also it's much easier to live in an apartment in Denver than a SFH. SFH's have really really tight inventories while there are a good number of apartment choices.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:30 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

As a lifelong CO native, I'm antisocial, hate transplants who invade my national forest, drive a never washed 92 Subaru with way too many miles, have six dogs that pee all over the sidewalks and my backseats, own an AR 15, and live in a cloud of weed smoke.

Actually, as a CO native, I think there's several things you have to desire in order to make this (the front range) be the true place for you:

1. Mountains AND national forest. I know it's kind of a duh, but these two things are big pulls that are hard to get elsewhere in the country. It's not simply being outdoors, cause CO forests and grasslands are pretty lame, it's the big, wide open views and open space to do things on.
2. Desire to live in an arid climate with snow. If you don't like snow, we get too much of it for you. If you do like snow, cool! Most of the time, it's pretty dry here, not quite a desert, but it's sure no temperate forest climate like Missouri. Right now I think we're officially in a drought again.
3. The need to use DIA, the airport, a fair amount.
4. Weed and microbrews. Both are a big part of CO.

If these aren't big positives that you would utilize, I don't think CO would be quite worth it IMO.

Also it's much easier to live in an apartment in Denver than a SFH. SFH's have really really tight inventories while there are a good number of apartment choices.
Sounds like much of the same things I could get down here in NM with a lower price tag. With the exception of Santa Fe and Taos of course. As for apartment supply in the Denver area, that seems to be doing nothing to bring prices down to levels I'm used to seeing. $900-$1200+/mo?!?!? Seems like I teleported back to SoCal again. Don't want to deal with that again.
This might all seem acceptable to some clean cut, man or woman in the tech or otherwise, educated field. But for a guy that's still currently driving trucks for a living until I figure out another life path, this would be more than out of the element.
Unless I really have to take that linehaul driving job in the Henderson area, I'm keeping my focus centered on Albuquerque or even the west TX snoozefests of Lubbock or Amarillo.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 PM

25 posts, read 23,157 times
Phil,
Your post was very helpful!

Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times
Of course now I'm getting more bites than ever in regards to certain trucking jobs in Colorado than anywhere else I've applied it seems. Resigned to my fate and whatnot. I guess the only upside is the amount of bars in the Denver metro. Get off of work and enjoy a fine way to drown out the sorrow.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:14 AM

153 posts, read 130,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Life is bigger than a job. Your overall quality-of-life depends on so many other factors.
Thank you! I wish more people felt this way. Work to live, don't live to work. When I'm on my death bed I will not be looking back at my life and thinking,"I'm glad I worked 60+ hours a week and rarely took vacations in order to get so far in my career." I will be proud of how I experienced the world and had time for my family. If more people had this mentality, the overall mood would improve in this country and it'd be a more pleasant place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.