Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:00 PM

25 posts, read 23,131 times

Advertisements

That was my first post in any forum. Thanks for the helpful response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 08:15 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaw Dori View Post
this state has nothing for nobody I'm moving to Colorado June 1st just trying to iron everything out right now. to fly and let movers take my stuff or to drive a UHAUL? I have to figure out how to get to Monte Vista from Denver if we fly. I know there is a flight everyday going both ways.
I would drive. and take US 50 out of Kansas City Area.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:42 PM

686 posts, read 622,284 times
Half of my friend base from back home has moved to the Denver area, and most of the other half is planning to move there. I've noticed a change in their attitudes as most of them frequently post on social media about how awesome it is along with frequent pictures set to a beautiful mountainous backdrop, followed by the almost-scripted set of responses from us "back east." Seriously, you could set your watch to these things and you could make a fortune betting on the type and frequency of responses.

Meanwhile I'm starting to see some surface cracks in the foundation of their "new lives" -- mostly around skyrocketing prices, traffic, and how isolated they feel out there.

Shame, too. I used to want to live out there a couple decades ago when it was cheap and un-hip. People tend to ruin the hotspots.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
There aren't enough natives left in Colorado to make a difference. Most of us moved to California years ago. We have one of the lowest "native born" populations in the country. I believe only 34% of the total population was born here. Take away infants from that number and it's less than 20%. This is a VERY transient state. Unlike states in the east, nobody seems to be born, grow-up and retire here, generation after generation. Such is quite common as in the Southie area of Boston for example. I think that also impacts the "friendliness" factor of Colorado too. By the time you get to know your neighbor, they move.
This is the exact reason why I always laugh when I hear people complaining about the "natives" in Colorado, or drivers, or any other aspect of social life here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I am torn about Colorado too. I love the mountains and the weather (all 4 seasons); however, people don't seem to be friendly in Denver and Boulder. The cost of living is rising.
Mountains, Denver, and Boulder....if this is how you see Colorado, you've severely limited your view. But, you aren't alone in that and it is why, IMO, some transplants become severely dis-illusioned about the state. But, we each create our own world we live in.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
There aren't enough natives left in Colorado to make a difference. Most of us moved to California years ago. We have one of the lowest "native born" populations in the country. I believe only 34% of the total population was born here. Take away infants from that number and it's less than 20%. This is a VERY transient state. Unlike states in the east, nobody seems to be born, grow-up and retire here, generation after generation. Such is quite common as in the Southie area of Boston for example. I think that also impacts the "friendliness" factor of Colorado too. By the time you get to know your neighbor, they move.
You picked oen neighborhood in a pretty diverse and internationally important city. You don't think DC or NYC have a lot of transients?

Denver is a great town, but the east coast is in another class.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:41 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You picked oen neighborhood in a pretty diverse and internationally important city. You don't think DC or NYC have a lot of transients?

Denver is a great town, but the east coast is in another class.
Agree. Yes, I recognize that areas of the east coast (especially DC) have grown tremendously, particularly in the past several years. My point is, and it may be due to the difference in total population of the areas, I find many more native Bostonians when I visit there than I seem to find native Denverites. And a lot of my generation who were born here, moved elsewhere, especially CA. Heck, the Chargers have more fans pulling for the Broncos at a home game than for San Diego. Or so it used to be.

Last edited by Kar54; 03-06-2017 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 02:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
[quote=Kar54;47282474]There aren't enough natives left in Colorado to make a difference. Most of us moved to California years ago.

Pretty much got that right...Many of us Colorado natives are holding the fort down in Southern California. I have half a dozen Co. native friends in Newport Beach alone.
Colorado and California have a long nterchangeable surf/snowboard culture ..Wanna see a few California natives...move to Vail or Breckenridge.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
[quote=Scott5280;47419146]
Quote:
There aren't enough natives left in Colorado to make a difference. Most of us moved to California years ago.

Pretty much got that right...Many of us Colorado natives are holding the fort down in Southern California. I have half a dozen Co. native friends in Newport Beach alone.
Colorado and California have a long nterchangeable surf/snowboard culture ..Wanna see a few California natives...move to Vail or Breckenridge.
Sorry, but that's been done

However, most of the people I know in Colorado are natives, and they are not planning to go anywhere.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:04 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Agree. Yes, I recognize that areas of the east coast (especially DC) have grown tremendously, particularly in the past several years. My point is, and it may be due to the difference in total population of the areas, I find many more native Bostonians when I visit there than I seem to find native Denverites. And a lot of my generation who were born here, moved elsewhere, especially CA. Heck, the Chargers have more fans pulling for the Broncos at a home game than for San Diego. Or so it used to be.
I see what you mean and maybe my post was hasty. Alot of east coast cities do still have their natives. NYC and DC are the main ones. Maybe Boston is more like Pittsburgh.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
After having had lived in NM for the past, four-to-five years, I've grown quite accustomed to the low rents and other low cost factors of living in this state. Recently, I started putting out apps to trucking companies in other parts of NM and the surrounding states due to the current job going downhill in pay.

Apart from the more severe winters the Front Range receives, the other one thing about moving to CO, specifically the Denver-Aurora metro where the job is located, is the return to CA-like prices.

I keep reading around that vehicle registration is quite high, especially for the '16 Chevy pickup I got not too long ago. Then of course the apartment costs for a 1bd/1ba like what I've got right now is also ridiculously high even in the outer suburbs. I currently pay $400/mo for a spacious place, some furnishings included down in eastern NM.
Up there, the average price I'm seeing for the same place is around $900/mo for a bare bones place.

Guess I might just have to keep poking around for an equivalent area until I decide on submitting an app.
Kind of weird how I was once amped up to move to that part of CO about 5-6 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.