Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:46 AM

25 posts, read 23,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
Wait until you hear back from those jobs and their starting salaries and if this is a career worth pursuing.

You millennials are so annoying, moving from city to city based on "falling in love with the mountains" but not considering what's important: YOUR FUTURE CAREERS.

And you wonder why millennials complain about not being able to afford homes.
BaskingIguana,

I wrote this a while back.... (Accidentally wrote it as a blog rather than reply. Clearly a junior member here!)

Which poster were you replying to? Yes, I'm a millennial torn about moving to Denver... who owns my own home, has a masters degree & a career. The unique aspect about many jobs that millennials have that pay well is that more and more of them offer telecommuting. This gives us the ability to have a solid paying job & career AND to live wherever we want. I telework when I'm not on work travel. I traveled about 17 weeks last year. I anticipate this trend for workers will increase, especially in tech. So please stop projecting your assumptions onto creative, hard working millennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,143,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Sounds like much of the same things I could get down here in NM with a lower price tag. With the exception of Santa Fe and Taos of course. As for apartment supply in the Denver area, that seems to be doing nothing to bring prices down to levels I'm used to seeing. $900-$1200+/mo?!?!? Seems like I teleported back to SoCal again. Don't want to deal with that again.
This might all seem acceptable to some clean cut, man or woman in the tech or otherwise, educated field. But for a guy that's still currently driving trucks for a living until I figure out another life path, this would be more than out of the element.
Unless I really have to take that linehaul driving job in the Henderson area, I'm keeping my focus centered on Albuquerque or even the west TX snoozefests of Lubbock or Amarillo.
Yeah it kind of is more of the same. However, CO is much more connected, for better and worse, with the rest of the US than NM is. NM is off the beaten path and it's own deal much more than CO is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Of course now I'm getting more bites than ever in regards to certain trucking jobs in Colorado than anywhere else I've applied it seems. Resigned to my fate and whatnot. I guess the only upside is the amount of bars in the Denver metro. Get off of work and enjoy a fine way to drown out the sorrow.
That's the thing. There's a lot of places in the US that look like a cool city and place to live, but which ones of them could I get a good job in my industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2224 View Post
BaskingIguana,

I wrote this a while back.... (Accidentally wrote it as a blog rather than reply. Clearly a junior member here!)

Which poster were you replying to? Yes, I'm a millennial torn about moving to Denver... who owns my own home, has a masters degree & a career. The unique aspect about many jobs that millennials have that pay well is that more and more of them offer telecommuting. This gives us the ability to have a solid paying job & career AND to live wherever we want. I telework when I'm not on work travel. I traveled about 17 weeks last year. I anticipate this trend for workers will increase, especially in tech. So please stop projecting your assumptions onto creative, hard working millennials.
Given this info... It depends where you want to live. If you want to live in a rural setting with some acreage, there's a lot of great options in CO! Black Forest or east of Castle Rock or Perry Park would rock, where you can get rural beauty with 1:15 commutes to DIA at somewhat reasonable prices. If you want suburban, go CO Springs all the way. Denver suburbs are worse AND x2 more expensive. If you want urban lifestyle, Denver is pretty decent, but you'll pay and arm and a leg for it, especially using Indianapolis as a benchmark. I couldn't justify living downtown Denver if I didn't work there, but since I do, it's pretty decent area. If you want to see what the front range climate looks like, look at google earth pictures around the rural areas I mentioned.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:26 PM

25 posts, read 23,150 times
Thanks, Phil. This is really helpful info! I probably would gravitate more toward the city for now, but I have seriously considered CO Springs instead...

Old 04-05-2017, 07:33 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times
Whatever the case may be, I'm pretty sure this state will just be one of the many I'll bounce through until I'm bored. The appeal that's drawing many in used to be something for me. But then I turned into an introverted zombie for whatever reason.
The fact that I'm stressing over possibly having to move up there solely for work is making me the Negative Nancy in this party.
Where I currently live though, it's all primarily agricultural based, trucking gigs. And all the cities within a 200 or so mile radius don't have anything available either.
Everyone else is so excited about their move here, while I'm clutching the hand-rails and shivering in terror.

Last edited by bentstrider; 04-05-2017 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.