Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:32 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
don't ask dumb questions like the other guy.
Don't make dumb statements. And show a little backbone by actually saying what you want to say instead of this silly "oh, YOU know what I mean..." stuff. I don't know what you mean. Are you talking about slavery? Racism? If you think these are southern phenomena exclusively, you're mistaken. And if you seriously talking about things that happened 150 years ago, you need to understand that anyone who actually took part in that atrocious practice is long dead and buried. Southern states also have gigantic African-American populations and huge transplant populations. Do they need to be shunned too? What are your rules? Spell 'em out for us.

Don't be silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:48 PM

128 posts, read 223,072 times
Because our society is becoming more Liberal.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:48 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
Because our society is becoming more Liberal.
The United States had a very liberal political climate in the 1970s, but Southern culture proliferated nonetheless.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:27 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
No one is going to forget what southerners did anytime soon.
You do know that slavery and Jim Crow existed in the North at one time too, right?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
You do know that slavery and Jim Crow existed in the North at one time too, right?
They will all pay one day, and that is a fact. All of them know what they did and it will eventually catch up with them. If they don't pay personally, their kids will.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
No one is going to forget what southerners did anytime soon.
Perhaps it's time to move on. We can't dwell on our past forever. It helps nothing in the present-time.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
They will all pay one day, and that is a fact. All of them know what they did and it will eventually catch up with them. If they don't pay personally, their kids will.
Why should their kids pay? Why should anyone innocent pay for things they personally did not do or have anything to do with? I don't like your attitude.

I won't apologize or pay for my skin color, ethnicity, ancestry, where I live, or anything else you think I or anyone else needs to pay for. I owe nothing to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, we're all equal. No one alive today was alive during slavery and many people alive today weren't alive before the Civil Rights movement.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 PM

304 posts, read 324,969 times
Quote:
What if they don't have kids? Then who will pay. What if "they" move out of the south, lets say to New York, and start a family there. Will their children in that case still pay. What about split families that have one parent from the south and one parent from the North, who pays in that situation. Does Florida count? I am confused!

Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
I dont consider the large cities in the south to be the embodiment of southern culture at all compared to small towns in the south with much less diluted, organic southern culture...southern culture didnt originate nor etch its identity from ATL, HOU, or MIA.....to me, once the cities contain so many transplants, they really just begin to adopt more of a generic urban america culture rather than remaining anything uniquely southern, and anything indentifiable as being "southern" usually is just used as a gimmicky marketing ploy for the city to attract more naive transplants looking for that "down home southern charm" yet cant decipher when that charm is authentic or synthetic since all they know are stereotypes.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
I actually think Southern culture is growing an expanding. It's become the de facto "country culture" of all four regions of the United States. Not only that but you can find southern BBQ joints and country music fans and singers in all 50 states, even here in Oregon which is one of the most physically removed states from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.