Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:10 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,028,130 times

Advertisements

What city do you find to be most liberal. Liberal not only to a segment of the population be it race, gender or economic status but liberal "overall?"
A city where you can be yourself, thrives on cultural diversity, has a low cost of living and access to all your interests bearing the type of variety to please all.

This city should have the least amount of oppressive laws and have a population that represents tolerance not only on social issues, but takes pride in getting involved in making the community better for all.

Please let's keep this to "Cities" in the US. Your thoughts/experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Sante Fe maybe?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 PM

81 posts, read 333,290 times
New York...

Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,106,250 times
I was going to say LA but the cost of living is high and you asked for low cost of living.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:55 PM

Hi Steve! - No actually Santa Fe NM has changed over the years. NM in my opinion has a HUGE law enforcement presence and a VERY HIGH crime rate...not burglary or petty theft...we're talking MURDER.

New York- Maybe at one time but not no more. Mayor Bloomberg is a hardcore conservative. Even w/Hillary being the Senator many NY find the city oppressive .

Let's not forget these are places with a "high cost" of living.

Surprisingly it seems that according to "various posters/locals" Austin Texas seems to score VERY HIGH for being a hippie/bohemian - college town. Only drawback is the cost of living has soared. I never been to Austin so I don't know but STILL "Texas" being liberal, ethnically mixed, with tolerance and anti-discrimination is hard to fathom. I would never have thought of Texas.

Then again, we're talking "Austin", anyone wish to chime in who has knowledge and facts to share?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 PM

774 posts, read 2,497,986 times
All of the large cities on the East Coast (defined as DC and anything north of it), West Coast, and then Chicago in middle would be defined as truly liberal large cities (Mayor Bloomberg is certainly not a liberal, but he's also definitely not anything close to a hardcore conservative). Of course, they all have fairly high living costs. As for the most liberal of them all, I'd still have to go with the old stand-by of San Francisco.

As for smaller cities, I'd put Austin, Texas and Madison, Wisconsin would contend for the "most liberal" title for towns of their size and lower costs of living. You could also argue for places such as Cambridge, Berkeley, Santa Monica and Evanston, but they're also already part of the metro areas of fairly liberal large cities.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM

Really? I've been to all those places mentioned except Austin and haven't visited Madison in over 7 years. Last I recalled, Madison had a ways to go before I would consider it a "liberal" city. The cost of living isn't bad though. San-Fran now you're talking my neck of the woods.....It's NOTHING like it used to be. I don't feel a day goes by where anyone considers San Francisco "liberal" It has changed DRASTICALLY since the 1960's and COS is on par with Manhattan.

Any other thoughts w/regard to the topic and the city you feel is "overall" most liberal in every facet of society/low cost of living?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,624,775 times
Gotta add Portland

Old 05-31-2007, 02:35 PM

Why do you say Portland? I see several people saying that and it appears to be the common view but I'm interested in "individual impressions," and what lead you to such a conclusion?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 PM

774 posts, read 2,497,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Really? I've been to all those places mentioned except Austin and haven't visited Madison in over 7 years. Last I recalled, Madison had a ways to go before I would consider it a "liberal" city. The cost of living isn't bad though. San-Fran now you're talking my neck of the woods.....It's NOTHING like it used to be. I don't feel a day goes by where anyone considers San Francisco "liberal" It has changed DRASTICALLY since the 1960's and COS is on par with Manhattan.

Any other thoughts w/regard to the topic and the city you feel is "overall" most liberal in every facet of society/low cost of living?
I guess it's all relative. Large cities such as SF and NYC have enough people and are cosmopolitan enough that you're going to have large contingents of every political stripe (liberal, conservative, libertarian, populists), but when you compare them to their peers of other large cities, I'd have to still consider them liberal. A place such as Austin might have a higher concentration of liberals, but it's an "apples-to-oranges" comparison because there's such a huge size difference. Madison is definitely a liberal town - it's essentially what you would get if you combined Berkeley with Vermont.

It's a little hard to find low-cost liberal locales unless you get down to smaller college towns that are often, ironically, located in generally conservative states (i.e. Athens, Georgia and Lawrence, Kansas). As voting patterns have borne out, the more liberal areas of the country tend to be located in or near large urban areas, which are generally have higher costs of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.